By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

dangerous turning video

All thats free is not safe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ged Meager21/03/2010 22:30:58
222 forum posts
I suspect I'm not the only one who subscibes to different magazines apart from goodwood, I also subscribe to finewoodworking Today whilst watching one of their free videos I was horrified to see a spindle gouge being used to turn uphill also the long end of a skew point be ing used ti [stab] markout lines also the long end of said skew being used to try and  turn a 'bead' The turner in question was a highly proffesional cabinetmaker But being Americal I was suprised  knowing their habits on suing for anything  he also tried to stop his turning by using his hand as a break after turning the machine off which we all do however this pratt had the pad of his thumb and his thumb lying along the tool rest  which should have resulted in his thumb and meaty part of hand getting trapped between tool rest and work piece.
 Woodturner ged
Alan T.22/03/2010 07:24:16
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Jed, I saw this too and my first reaction was much like yours. Then I wondered if I was just jealous of his skill. Still have not decided which is the truth.  Alan T.
Dave Atkinson22/03/2010 15:16:46
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi

I often use the long point of a skew to mark out and turn a bead.   Not sure about turning uphill with a spindle gouge and no one should slow things down by hand - I know we are all guilty of that one though.

Cheers Dave
Sparky22/03/2010 15:55:20
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ged & Alan, Dave

I've often used the tip of the skew usually for marking out the lines for beads but, I do know he has been doing this for years and you know he has had a lot of practice doing it this way....I bet if he did it the 'right' way (if there is such a thing) he'd dig in all of the time.........old dog, new tricks comes to mind.

Marc
Oddjob22/03/2010 17:46:43
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I'm not quite sure what is meant by "a spindle gouge being used to turn uphill."  But I guess it refers to using it on the 'up side' when doing face work?  i.e. at 10 minutes past top dead centre instead of 10 minutes to?  If so, then I can tell you that I have seen this in several videos and also in a book.  I think it might have been a Dave Regester book but I can't be sure.

Personally I see no problem in using the long point of the skew for marking out and after a bit of practice I found it a good way to make beads.  This is also recommended in books.

As stated above, we all, I think, use our hands as brakes but the wise ones don't do it anywhere near to the tool-rest!

Richard 
Ron Davis22/03/2010 18:03:17
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Ged

Like the ither contributers I use skew and spindle gouge as you described, I agree with the comments a bout stopping the lathe with your hand. The one thing I would love on my lathe is a built in wheel to ebe able to turn the work by hand,

You seem to have started a debate there Ged, which is one of the reasons we have this site. so thanks for that,  we dont have to agree, but think on what is said and make your own mind up.

Ron
Alan T.22/03/2010 19:31:17
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Richard. I think he means using a gouge while forming a cove in spindle work & making a complete sweep down one side and up the other. No doubt a practiced art. Alan T
Ged Meager22/03/2010 22:26:16
222 forum posts
Thanks for all the replies for those who want to get fingers and flesh trapped between work and tool rest you'll keep the casualty departments busy beleave me' 22years working in emergency medicine. I've seen enough cuts and chopped of fingers Turning rules are there for a reason ignore them at your peril.They might sow your fungers back on but they never work the same.For those of you who want to turn beads with skews watchRay Jones do it he's fast safe and dont get kickbacks
woodturner ged
Oddjob23/03/2010 08:32:08
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ged

You said

"for those who want to get fingers and flesh trapped between work and tool rest you'll keep the casualty departments busy."

I don't understand why you said that.  No-one here approves of that practice.  In fact some actually condemned it just as you do.

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact