By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

unbalanced blank

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vaughn31/08/2008 12:28:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi all

i am trying to turn a hollow in a square(ish) piece of wood. it is quite unevenly worn, and very heavy. also, i don't think the wood is the same density throughout. i want to leave the shape as is, as the edges are very rugged and full of character. i think a nicely smoothed hollow would contrast very well. the wood is jarrah, approx 4 inches thick, and 10 across.

my problem is i can't get the thing balanced enough to faceplate turn it. regardless of where i put the faceplate i get very bad vibrations.

apart from trial and error, how do i get this thing centered?

George Arnold31/08/2008 14:39:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Vaughn

Wecome to the site, if you are going to turn a smooth hollow as you say , the position of the hollow will decide how you mount it, ie if you want the hollow in the centre of the block then you will have to mount the piece central on the face plate, because you are not going to touch the outside it will never come into ballance when turning.  You can  by trial and error using a drive centre and a live tail stock move the blank untill the best ballance is achieved then you will find  that the hollow may be of set,                           You can mount it centraly and add weights to bring it into ballance  you must have quite a lathe to swing this over the bed , or a  head that you can rotate as it wil be about fourteen inches across the corners when mounted centraly if you off set it it will be more  on one leg, and if you have turned the head you will not have the benefit of the tail stock support. I'm afraid it is trial and error, Jarrah is very nice wood, good luck put a picture in the gallery when you have done. you will have to run the lathe at the lowest speed,if you have an electronic speed control you have the advantage of adjusting the speed to find the optimum speed it will run at.

George

Ralph Harvey31/08/2008 20:51:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

Can you post a picture of the wood it is difficult to suggest a solution without seeing it, also what lathe are you using, if it is a reletivly light lathe you might find weighting it down will help, if it is securly fixed to a bench try putting a bag of sand on a shelf under the lathe, this should help.

There are several ways to ballance work if you particularly want it off centre but depending on your experience these will vary.

Ralph

Vaughn31/08/2008 21:14:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Ralph and George

thanks very much for the ideas. i did add some weight to the lathe table, which helped the vibration alot.

I also put a strap around the block of wood, and tucked in a heavy bolt to act as a balance on the lighter side. this also worked well.

the vibration is at a minimum, and i have started to turn the hollow. the wood is very hard, so i'm probably in for an evening or two's worth of shaping.

i should be buying a new digital camera this week, and will definately post a picture.

thanks very much for the useful tips!

vaughn

Ralph Harvey31/08/2008 21:29:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

Good luck, let us see it when its finished

Ralph

Vaughn31/08/2008 12:28:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi all

i am trying to turn a hollow in a square(ish) piece of wood. it is quite unevenly worn, and very heavy. also, i don't think the wood is the same density throughout. i want to leave the shape as is, as the edges are very rugged and full of character. i think a nicely smoothed hollow would contrast very well. the wood is jarrah, approx 4 inches thick, and 10 across.

my problem is i can't get the thing balanced enough to faceplate turn it. regardless of where i put the faceplate i get very bad vibrations.

apart from trial and error, how do i get this thing centered?

George Arnold31/08/2008 14:39:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Vaughn

Wecome to the site, if you are going to turn a smooth hollow as you say , the position of the hollow will decide how you mount it, ie if you want the hollow in the centre of the block then you will have to mount the piece central on the face plate, because you are not going to touch the outside it will never come into ballance when turning.  You can  by trial and error using a drive centre and a live tail stock move the blank untill the best ballance is achieved then you will find  that the hollow may be of set,                           You can mount it centraly and add weights to bring it into ballance  you must have quite a lathe to swing this over the bed , or a  head that you can rotate as it wil be about fourteen inches across the corners when mounted centraly if you off set it it will be more  on one leg, and if you have turned the head you will not have the benefit of the tail stock support. I'm afraid it is trial and error, Jarrah is very nice wood, good luck put a picture in the gallery when you have done. you will have to run the lathe at the lowest speed,if you have an electronic speed control you have the advantage of adjusting the speed to find the optimum speed it will run at.

George

Ralph Harvey31/08/2008 20:51:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

Can you post a picture of the wood it is difficult to suggest a solution without seeing it, also what lathe are you using, if it is a reletivly light lathe you might find weighting it down will help, if it is securly fixed to a bench try putting a bag of sand on a shelf under the lathe, this should help.

There are several ways to ballance work if you particularly want it off centre but depending on your experience these will vary.

Ralph

Vaughn31/08/2008 21:14:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Ralph and George

thanks very much for the ideas. i did add some weight to the lathe table, which helped the vibration alot.

I also put a strap around the block of wood, and tucked in a heavy bolt to act as a balance on the lighter side. this also worked well.

the vibration is at a minimum, and i have started to turn the hollow. the wood is very hard, so i'm probably in for an evening or two's worth of shaping.

i should be buying a new digital camera this week, and will definately post a picture.

thanks very much for the useful tips!

vaughn

Ralph Harvey31/08/2008 21:29:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

Good luck, let us see it when its finished

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact