By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Richard's competition entry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Alan T.16/03/2010 08:43:05
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Richard, The delicacy of the piercing on your lime bowl is admirable. You must have had a few heart stopping moments when it approached completion? Out of interest ,how long did this one take you?  I''m surprised you didn''t win something with it. Well done anyway and better luck next time.  Alan T.
Ralph Harvey16/03/2010 09:18:25
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I agree Richard

This is a striking piece, is it your competition piece ? i seem to remember it was more open piercing than this.

How long dose it take tom produce a piece like this ?

Ralph
Sparky16/03/2010 15:33:11
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Add another to agree with Alan.

I would love to see a 'How to' on this and the other bowls you've done.........do you use a template?

Great stuff

Marc
George Arnold16/03/2010 17:14:42
1834 forum posts
191 photos
I agree with all the remarks  made about Richards entry, I did raise it on another post, it took my eye at the show,

George
Delete16/03/2010 19:01:45
575 forum posts
What a lovely piece. which is more than can be said for the rubbish perpetrated by the "students" elsewhere on this site.

It is a real inspiration.

Rog

Edited By Roger B on 16/03/2010 19:02:10

Richard Kennedy17/03/2010 00:43:40
14 forum posts
22 photos
Hi everyone I am sorry I didn't see this thread until now Yes this is my competition entry I thank you all for your comments. It took me about 4 days to pierce, carve and texture and wasn't intended to be my entry. I started a pierced bowl (like the black one in my album with geometric piercing) however about 3 days in it blew up They usually take about 10 days to make so I knew I didn't have time to start another so I had almost given up the idea of entering but on the Saturday before the show weekend I changed my mind and decided to have a go I haven't ever tried to enter a competition and so having decided to have a go I had to pull out all the stops to get it finished. I put about 8-9 hours a day in to get it finished in time the trees are drawn on free hand then pierced out then I use a ball burr to round over the branches then sand each branch so it is as round as possible then using a pyrography I add the texture to the trees.

Finishing on wednesday evening I then had to work out how to get it from Durham to London before 12.00 on Saturday I was finally put in touch with Margaret Garrard (who actually won the prestige event) she lives about 30 miles from me I had never met her before but rang in the off chance she would take it. She agreed (thanks M) and so on Thursday morning I went and delivered it to her and she to the show. 

I guess I was a bit disappointed it wasn't placed but it just means I need to try harder next time!

Anyway thanks again for your kind comments

Richard
Ralph Harvey17/03/2010 11:46:39
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
My appologies Richard

I think it is even better now i have a better view of it, i really like the other stuff in your album too, where do you get your ideas from ? it is a style i would like to try one day the shapes are stunning.

Ralph
Richard Kennedy17/03/2010 14:54:56
14 forum posts
22 photos
Ralph there is no need to apologise!

Ideas come from everywhere I look at lots of different types of art, wildlife, architecture, things in magazines sometimes I just see what happens although recently I have had to try and be a bit more organised! what with the exhibition and things I needed to have a plan If I see something that gives me an idea I try and photograph it then stick the picture on my workshop wall I have loads of pics so when I need an idea for a shape or texture they are there on the wall!

Thanks again for your kind words!

Richard
Derek Lane17/03/2010 17:41:18
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Another fine piece I have seen from the competition Well done Richard.

Not for me yet as I am still on the standard bowl forms but maybe one day
Richard Kennedy22/03/2010 22:15:55
14 forum posts
22 photos
Derek Thanks for posting Sorry I didn't see this earlier to reply!

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact