By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Alexandra Palace Show

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ralph Harvey12/03/2010 20:43:12
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I have just got back from the show and it was good. admitably it is better for us turners, but there is a fair mix of trades catered for.

The highs and the lows so far,

I wanted to see Richard Raffin turn but unsuprisingly it was packed so i went to see Mick Hanbury do a demo, he had a few teething problems to start with, no electric and a lathe that only ran in reverse, enough to test anyavones patients prior to a demo, but he just dealt with it and gave what i thought was one of the best demos i have seen. well worth a look even at the expence of missing Richard Rafin sorry Richard will try to see you on Sunday.

There is a special place set aside for us to meet each other a wonderfull idea especially as i wanted to put a face to some of the names on the site, you cant miss it............ its the only place where there is absolutally nothing but a chalked space on the floor . i would suggest a better place to meet would be one of the many seated areas around the hall. ?

There is some fantastic turning in the competition, it is a great source of ideas for future work but i wish people would take notice of the signs saying "do not touch" i am not keen on people picking up the more decorative pieces

I will be back on Sunday to have another look and hopefully will see more of you there then.

I would be interested to see what anyone else thinks ?

Ralph
Sparky12/03/2010 21:06:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ralph

Thanks for the update on the show mate, very kind of you.

Richard Raffin certainly is popular and this being his first show over here means a lot to the turners........and to us.

Mick Hanbury, being the pro that he is, is always worth watching.

Sadly I thought the area for us members was a seating area........bang goes my idea of relaxing all day with my feet up!

Did you manage to see anyone from here...there?

Ben, Clare, Kate??

I know Ben will be videoing so you may be amongst the tape to edit

Good luck in the competition mate.

Marc

Ralph Harvey12/03/2010 22:18:05
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

Sadly no i didnt see anyone, well i couldnt be sure as i dont know what a lot of them look like ? Didnt see anyone from the magazines either, shame as i took an article up for Darren Loucaides he wasnt there so i just handed it in at the My Hobbystore stand.

The standard in the competition is high, i dont think i will be lucky, but mine is a little different so you never know ? i will post some pictures of them tommorow

It is a good idea to take some cash, there is a host of great bits to pick up. and a lot of them are quite cheap i found several little bits i have been after all for £3 to £5 i will be picking them up Sunday, some of the wood is a little over priced but that might go down at the end of the show ?

I will be back on Sunday so might see you then ?

Ralph
Sparky12/03/2010 22:41:48
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ralph

I reckon every member should be wearing a tag of their sign in name that will help

Darren must of been hiding with a cup of coffee mate.........

Looking forward to seeing the entrants in the competition.........as you say, plenty of ideas come from them.

I'd personally wait until Monday to upload your images mate........I could see somebody moaning about advertising for votes, rather safe than sorry Ralph.

I was going to ask if there was any wood there, I need some badly but, if its over priced then I reckon some bartering coming along

Might be going tomorrow if my shoulder and arm is OK.......if not, may be Sunday or not at all. Finding it very hard to drive with the pain, numbness and dead arm.........even hurts typing

We shall see.

Marc
Ralph Harvey12/03/2010 23:04:39
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

Good idea with the pics i will leave it a couple of days, Hope you feel well enough to get there or at least just well.

Ralph
Sparky12/03/2010 23:08:09
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Thanks mate............I'm taking all the meds and kept my fingers crossed

Marc
dennis wake13/03/2010 00:37:59
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ralph
 glad you have enjoied the show ( wish i was going ) hope my turnings look good it is the first turning comp i have enterd . good luck to you Ralph looking forward to the photos you have taken and the out come of the comp.
dennis
Delete13/03/2010 09:05:02
575 forum posts
I had totally forgoten it was this weekend. But I wasn't going any way. Next year perhaps a Badge Template could be put on the Forum then those who wish to rember who they are could print it out with their names on. (sorry warped sense of Humour). A plastic holder could be put in the magazines or sent in return for a Stamped envelope.
Sparky14/03/2010 01:33:40
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi guys/gals

Well, I managed to get to the show today and thought it was very well done.

The demonstrators are definitely worth the visit

Met most of the staff from the magazines and My Hobby store. (Ladies are lovely )

Best meeting place is at the GET WOODWORKING LIVE Q & A VILLAGE but, don't forget to fill in your raffle information at My Hobbystore on D12.

I thought the entrants to the turning competition is of very high standard and that is for all levels.

I have some pictures which I'll upload on Monday for those who couldn't make the show.

Sadly I have to agree in regards to the prices, I even tried bartering but ended up with a holy bag to carry my new carvers vice in (cheesy grin!!)...........Was a bit miffed that the Robert Sorby stall had no single carving chisels on display, only sets.........but plenty of others goodies to wet your appetites...........bring plenty of money

For those who are going today (as I type), have a great time and good luck for the competition and raffle!!

Marc
Sparky14/03/2010 17:26:16
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Any news of the turning & raffle winners?

Marc 
George Arnold14/03/2010 19:49:39
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sparky
So you where there Saturday as was I the only guy I met was Ron Davis, by and large it was a lot better show this year, I was not looking to buy anything just to have a good look round, I was amazed at the man from Oxford doing the piggy jigsaw puzzles on a scroll saw, how about the hatman they where somthing.there where  a lot of tool stands to browse over you should have found a carving chisel on one of them.
Sorry I never saw you George
Sparky14/03/2010 20:31:11
7631 forum posts
22 photos
George

I was trying very hard to recognise members and the only way I could was from the avatars.........sadly I didn't see anyone with a blue cap on otherwise I would of said hello to you

Every time I got to a stall for a demonstration it  just ended ....I was not well timed I'm afraid.

Did you go the Get woodworking live area, there was seats and tables amongst the shed where Ralph Laughton (and lovely wife),

Andy King working hard.............

and another gentleman to which I've forgotten his name, my apologies. working on security.

That bed was made by Ben's old college on the Friday in the University Challenge area.

..........Darren Loucaides with clipboard Justin with his camera and of course our Ben working hard as usual......

Clare & Kate all working hard to make the show work (which I felt they did very well)

Joanne and the lads (again sorry didn't get to know your names) on the My Hobbystore stand (D12)

Regarding the carving chisels, I was a little disappointed at the prices George, most were the same as on their web sites..........Robert Sorby only did sets and the only thing I did buy was a Record carving vice........at the same price as web site again...and no bartering worked either!!

Still, I did enjoy it even with the pain killers not working

Will go next year that's for sure.

Marc
Ron Davis14/03/2010 20:49:21
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Sparky, I bought four for a tenner at one of the cheap stalls, three of which are Marples.

I enjoyed the show, as always, I met Andy again and Ralph, and introduced myself to the AWGB stand as we are now members. The highlight of the day for me was being accosted by a fellow pensioner and asking if I was Ron Davis, it was George Arnold. I did find it great to meeet a fellow forum member.

As to meeting others, well just turning up at the stand was a bit basic! I thought we could sign in and say what time we would be at the Gw Village and people could meet up at that time, or not, as they wish. Not Rocket science.

I did put two items in the competition, I will up load pics later as the show has closed. Nobody has rung yet, though looking at Ralphs clock, the trip to France is a goner for me!

Is it just me of have we seen the horizontal engine before?it looked familiar.

Somehow, just for a change, I came home with some money still in my wallet, either I have just about every thing or I am getting tight in my old age

I hope you are feeling better Sparky, I had a trapped nerve a while back and I know how it is

Ron
Sparky14/03/2010 21:43:08
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ron

Glad you met our George and hopefully the ideas from the reports could be put in place for the next show..........as you say its not rocket science, its just getting the ideas down on paper ready so the next show will be even better.

I thought I've seen the engine in a certain magazine before but, it could of been slightly different.......great work though.

The time I'd looked at what was on sale in the bins, the items I wanted to try and buy had gone, I thought the new stuff was the same price as on their websites..........next time I'll write a list with internet prices and barter harder

Marc

Andy King14/03/2010 21:49:35
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Posted by sparky on 14/03/2010 20:31:11:

Andy King working hard.............

I think i may have been bending down to tie my shoelace...
cheers,
Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact