By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How to finish MDF

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h12/03/2010 13:42:54
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hello all!

I have been busy making an MDF cupboard for a wine rack I made and SWMBO asked me what colour it would be when its finished?  When I sugessted that I would be painting it - SWMBO pointed out that all our furniture is wood and that it will not go! DOHHHH!

Can i finish MDF in its natuural colour - to try & keep it wood like?  What/which is the best way to do this.

many thanks - Steve
Big Al12/03/2010 14:40:53
1604 forum posts
73 photos
If your not going to paint it, then use a clear water based varnish, de-nibbing between coats.

Personally I would just paint it, if SWMBO wants a wood wine rack then I suggest that you make one from wood as MDF when varnished wont look like wood at all.

Al 
Sparky12/03/2010 16:16:03
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I personally don't like MDF unpainted. I feel a varnish will still give it a dull grey brown and nothing like wood..

I agree with Al, make one out of wood and keep the MDF version for something in the workshop

Marc
Delete12/03/2010 19:04:55
575 forum posts
If youi are not too far into the build STOP and make it from Venered MDF. Lip the edges with a contrasting hard wood and it will look great.  Oak and redwood go well together. The surface can then be finished with varnish, Oil etc.

Rog

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact