By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Axminster AW16BMES Bench Morticer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Clarke 412/03/2010 09:05:07
5 forum posts
Hello Everyone,

Any one own one of these morticers and can offer any review/advice?

I have a proposed project this year to make/construct a timber glass house where there will be the need for lots of morticer & tenon joints.

Any information much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy
Sparky12/03/2010 11:09:43
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Andy

If your making a greenhouse, take a look at Big Al's album >> here << , He made an excellent one and you could learn a lot from the joints he used.

I'm sure if you need any other information, he would be able to help you out.
Use his private messaging here Send me a message. if you need to contact him

Marc 
Delete12/03/2010 11:24:48
575 forum posts
I dont have information on the Axminster machine. If it is from Axminster It should be OK. I have a Morticer and would not be without it..

Some years ago I bought a tennoning jig to compliment the morticer. The two together are great I can make dozens of joints in next to no time.

I made a bench for a friend it had  about 48 mortice and tennons. It took me longer to plane the timber to size than do the joints.

Rog
Andrew Clarke 414/03/2010 19:47:56
5 forum posts
Thanks for the replies, I finally decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the mortiser as well as a Axminster ADE1200 Extractor!!! Cannot wait for delivery.

Rodger, any advice on purchasing a tenoning jig? I purchased a book with lots of different jig designs and was going to try to make a tenoning jig am I wasring my time and would it be better to buy one?

Cheers,

Andy.
Wood Smith04/04/2010 21:54:43
5 forum posts
I am using the same morticer and chip extractor in my workshop.

The morticer is really good.  I prefer the vice grip method for securing the work as opposed to the hold down fork type of morticer and for the money  it is excellent for this.  Also the two axis table is great.  The only snag is that it is very easy to grab the fore aft handle when reaching for the side to side handle.  I removed the lever bar on the knob to make it better to use.

I also got the optional drill chuck attachment.  For small drilling jobs it is a great addition to my workshop.  So much so that I have resigned my floor standing pillar drill to my engineering workshop for now to free up the floor space for the morticer.

One thing I found with my drill chuck attachment was that after some prolonged work the chuck shaft was binding in the brass collar due to the heat build up.  For the time being I have reamed out the bush a little to add some clearance and that seens to work well.  I may replace it with a phosper bronze bush or maybe needle rollers at some point.

Edited By Wood Smith on 04/04/2010 21:55:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact