By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Banning of Chisels

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
newt12/03/2010 01:08:41
1 forum posts
This school in Victoria, Australia is banning all knives such as used in home economics classes and all sharp instruments, including chisels in woodwork class.

Edited By sparky on 12/03/2010 10:27:58

Sparky12/03/2010 10:31:54
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Newt and welcome to this site's forum.

Sadly its the stupid amongst the classes that spoil everything for the others.
Lets hope the ones who are to suffer make sure the ones carrying the knives are reported and expelled...........this may get the school back to normal and woodworking can then carry on with all tools that are needed.

Thanks for the link.

Marc

PS, Why not fill in your profile and tell us a bit about yourself and the things you have made or will be making in due course? 
Oddjob12/03/2010 10:33:17
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I couldn't see any specific mention of chisels.  Quite clearly it will be impossible to giveworthwhile woodworking lessons without using sharp bladed tools.

Litigation and Health & Safety rules (misrules?)OK?   Discipline  out the window!

Richard
Delete12/03/2010 11:08:28
575 forum posts
Yet another case of the lunatics running the asylum.
How can you prepare food withouta knife
how can you do Wood work without sharp tools Chisels Saws etc. I was exposed to very sharp tools as a child. My teachers ( my Father and a woodworking teacher at school) must have done something right as I still have a full house in the finger score.
You cant teach people skills without allowing them to use decent tools. My eldest daughter (she is now 45 +) at the age of 5 saw me using tools an wanted to have a tool kit for christmas. She got it and now there is not a job in the house she cant tackle. She can deal with wood, but concentrates on Tiling and soft furnishings. The only problem she had was to pierce a finger when sewing. The hospital were quite impressed when she arrived at A & E (she drove herself). She had removed the nedle from the machine and left it in her finger. She is a great girl and can do anything she wants to do.

Lets start a movement to shut the aslyum.

Rog
Derek Lane12/03/2010 15:11:18
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
This bit made me laugh a quote from the article

"All knives are indefinitely banned in our school until we can make them safe."

What are they going to do round over all the sharp edges
Ron Davis12/03/2010 19:57:12
1619 forum posts
201 photos
The problem is kids carrying knives out side of class. Surely the best way to deal with this is to only allow sharp tools and knives, under supervision. I dont think chisels will be a problem in our schools as they dont do woodwork any more!

Ron
steve h13/03/2010 23:51:01
403 forum posts
128 photos
Jeeze! 'Elf n safety', yes, it is the 'do gooders', 'nimbies' - they do not realise the havoc they create - please can we restore some damn sense!

See it everyday, very frustrating running a business, school, or just about anything without beaurocratic intervention!

Sorry - rant over - still do not feel any better - a little longer on the couch i fear!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact