By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Woodstar DC12 Dust/Chip Extractor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Clarke 409/03/2010 21:03:36
5 forum posts
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and also woodworking.

I have tried this question on another forum with no responses!

Does anyone have any info/advice on this extractor model?

I have a small workshop with table saw/planner/thickness and am looking for a simple dust/chipping extractor.

Cheers

Andy
Sparky09/03/2010 21:27:02
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Andy and welcome to this site's forum.

I'm not genned up on this machine but, I do know there has been a lot of posts regarding dust extraction.
I'm sure the others will give you all the advice you need when they sign on later.

In the meantime, these are a few extractions from website that sell the machine....

An ideal machine for the hobbyist on a fixed budget.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The DC12 offers effective dust collection. Suitable for a range of machinery this dust collector can help keep your working environment a cleaner & healthier place to be.

Specification
Dimensions: 1150 x 775 x 450mm
Filter surface m2: 1
Air capacity m3/h l/sec: 1150
Hose length: 2000mm
Hose dia,: 100mm
Voltage: 230 / 550W
Weight: 24 kg
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This unit not only keeps your workshop cleaner and more pleasant to work in, it can also keep you healthier. This unit features a powerful motor and convenient collection bag so it is ideal for any sized woodworking operation. A magnificent little workhorse.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This entry level extractor offers good performance and boasts the following features such as a motor that generates 1150m2 of air volume and which is supplied with wheels and a safety stop switch.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going by these it sounds like the ideal machine for the small workshop.

While your waiting, why not fill in your profile and tell us a bit about yourself and what you want to make in the future, what tools you have and tools you would like to have........always nice to break the ice.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Marc

Olly Parry-Jones09/03/2010 22:10:01
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

From what I can see and with the quoted airflow, that extractor is ideal for collecting large shavings from a 10in planer/thicknesser. It would also be good with a router table or spindle moulder, and any other machines producing larger chips.

In my opinion though, it may not be the best option for a table saw... Hi Pressure Low Volume extractors (like workshop vacuums) are much better at collecting fine sawdust. With a HVLP (like you're looking at), you cannot reduce the bore diameter to less than 75mm or it will create a huge drop in airflow (no good for power tools, either). Also, the very fine dust (the really dangerous stuff you cannot see) only escapes out through the top filter bag and back in to your workshop (your lungs).

Ideally, you may need two separate sources of extraction; one for each machine, as they are producing two types of waste. The other consequence is that a small vacuum would not be able to cope with a large volume of shavings plus, the drum would fill up very fast.

Hope this helps.

Olly.

-----

Ralph Harvey09/03/2010 23:59:35
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Andrew

I dont have any dust or chip extraction in my shed yet, but the extractor Marc has suggested is the sort of thing i would look for, Axminster Power Tools do a similar version as do many others.

Ralph
Alan T.10/03/2010 07:55:22
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Andrew, Welcome to the forum,the friendliest place in woodworking. I have a similar machine by Axminster in my shop which is primarily used for wood turning. As Olly points out the finer particles do escape the top filter which is why I also use a powered face mask especially when sanding. Ideally the extractor should be sited outside the workshop, but this also removes the heat from the place as well. (my workshop is unheated ). A solution could be to install a turbo filter of the Oneida type before the dust extractor which could alleviate these problems by intercepting the dust before it reaches the machine. I think there was an article on the forum last year from someone who made one. If you ask nicely our font of all knowledge Sparky will point you in the right direction. (Sorry Marc) Look forward to seeing some of your work in the future.  Cheers   Alan T.  

Edited By Alan T. on 10/03/2010 07:58:40

steve h10/03/2010 11:56:50
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum -

I made a cyclonic separator last year, and I originally had the HVLP system as pictured by Sparky.

I did have problems with the fine dust in my workshop all the time, so decided to go for a Camvac system (twin motor), which gives you all the suction you need, whilst still filtering out the fine dust.

I then made a cyclonic pre-separator that takes out all the big stuff, which means the collection bag on the vacuum stays cleaner (more effcient) for longer.

Everybodies needs are different - but this solution has certainly worked for me!

If you click on my name and look at my photos, it will hopefully give you an idea of what I mean?
Alan T.11/03/2010 07:19:10
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Steve, Could you post a cross sectional sketch of your cyclonic separator so that the rest of us can understand how it works and possibly how to copy.It does seem like the answer to the fine dust problem. Thanks in anticipation.   Alan T.

Edited By Alan T. on 11/03/2010 07:19:45

Andrew Clarke 412/03/2010 08:58:49
5 forum posts
Hello Gents,

Thank you for the welcome greetings and also the advice/information, I thought I had come to a decision over which extractor to buy (Axminster ADE1200 Extractor) called the order line and had a chat with the technical helpline, only to find that they didnt think it would atach to my planner/thicknesser (int dia. 55mm).

I then spoke with NMA of Brighouse who sell the Woodstar unit and they say their unit will connect to my planner/thicknesser but may not connect to my table saw!!!

Is it just me or are things more complicated than thery need to be? Surely I dont have to buy to different machines??? I am confused, please help.

I will fill in my profile when I have a little bit more time, once again thank you for the replies and the warm welcome.

Andy

Sparky12/03/2010 10:40:38
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Perhaps you need to get an old hoover set up for the machines that you cant connect too.

I have one that connects to a dust/particle bucket and that collects everything from my machines from Router table, self made planer table, lathe, biscuit joiner, jigsaw and all stuff that falls on the floor!.
Total cost £25.

Marc

steve h12/03/2010 11:01:33
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Andy,,

I run both those sizes on the same system, I went for the twin motor to give me the suction over longer runs and that some of the machines and length of pipe are 100mm diameter. - That way I got the best of both worlds.  Copes with chippings from my planer thicknesser no problem and also takes all the fine dust form routing MDF etc on my router table.

I spent a long time looking at all my options, again this worked for me and allowed me to get rid of the big bag collection system as I highlighted earlier.
Delete12/03/2010 11:18:54
575 forum posts
Hi Andrew, and welcome from me.

If you have the space outside the workshop I would reccomend building a small lean too  and have the extractor in there. The hose can be piped using plastic soil pipe, which is quite cheap. It will save space in the workshop. Fine dust will be removed from the workshop as well. The noise level in the workshop will aslo be reduced.

If using Plastic run a bare copper wire down the inside of the plastic pipe and ground it to the chassis of the suction unit. This will remove any static build up. I have never heard of a home system exploding due to static but I guess most people would not wish to be the first.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Rog
Sam13/03/2010 22:16:58
386 forum posts
110 photos
Whilst I do not own the model shown , I do have the WoodStar DC04 , it is a fllor standing drum type .  It does come with 1 micron filter  .   I have to say that for the money (£90) it is brilliant . It has been put through its paces in the 4 weeks I have owned it and it is still sucking the paint of the walls even with all the fine dust it has been used on and I am still on the first filter bag .

In a word , for the money I have no reason to complain and it has a 55ltr a second suction rate  . It handles mass chip and dust very easily. 

Kind regards Sam
Andrew Clarke 414/03/2010 19:58:56
5 forum posts
Thank you once again gents for the kind welcome and all the information, I tried the ukwoodworking forum and was very surprised at the lack of responses, I am really pleased to have this site instead.

I finally tuck the plunge and ordered the Axminster ADE1200 Extractor along with a Axminster AW16BMES Bench Morticer, I cannot wait for the delivery!!

Marc, I will fill in my profile when I have a little more time, my current project is some planters for the front of the house to be followed by workshop bench with draws and cabinets to finally convert my garage to a workshop! After that I want to start work on a greenhouse/glasshouse I dug out the footings for the stone dwarf wall base last year but never got any further due to work committments!

Photos of all WIP will be taken and posted, thanks again for the advice and greetings.

Cheers,

Andy
Sparky14/03/2010 20:34:46
7631 forum posts
22 photos
So Andy, your not very busy at the moment then!

Good luck with all and look forward to the photos

Marc
Wood Smith04/04/2010 22:14:50
5 forum posts
As posted on your other thread I have the same extractor and morticer.

When I got the extractor I set it up from flat pack and found that there are a lot if fiddly screws, nuts and bolts to get to.  I also ended up with lots of little cuts due to some sharp edges on some of the steel work.

Anyway, once it was together I gave it a try.  I found that the chips tended to get lodged in the inlet flange that is mounted on the side of the extractor frame.  Removal of the flexible hose allowed the chips to fall out but that was a pain to do during machining jobs.
In the end I removed the short hose from the fan to the flange and connected the flexible straight to the fan bypassing the frame mounted flange.
Chips still settle at the lowest point of the flexible hose but with a quick flick of the hose to get them airbourne they soon get sucked through.

The other modification I did was to change the two fixed and two swivel casters to four swivelling and locking casters.  It made it much easier to move around the workshop to each machine.

The filtration isn't wonderful for fine dust and so my workshop still collects a fine covering of the stuff so I will always wear a respirator now until I can get a fine dust filtration system fitted and build a sanding bench.

I have had no real problems with chip extraction from either my ancient 60"x12" surface planer or my Jet  12" thicknesser.
I did find that with the small bore of the thicknesser that if I was planing a lot of resinous wood or taking thick cuts I would sometimes get a 'log jam' of shavings in the bore adaptor that came with the Jet.   I will make a better one one day as the adaptor to 100mm plugs into the already small bore extraction point adding yet another restriction.  It would have been better if the adaptor went over the small bore spigot instead of inside it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact