By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Introduction - recent new member.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mick Strefford06/03/2010 00:47:10
13 forum posts
50 photos
Hi Folks. I reckon I have lurked in here for long enough now - time to introduce myself and join in the fun.  I'm Mick, 56 years old and living in the Kingdom of Fife. Served 22 years with the Royal Corps of Signals, travelling the world so no hope of setting up a workshop!  Now I've finished with the mob and settled down I managed to build a workshop in the back garden (cost me a heart attack - but thats another story) and filled with with all manner of sawdust and shaving production systems! I like to turn stuff as well as make flat stuff... I have just uploaded some examples of my turning stuff - let me know what you think!
watch out for an album of flat stuff coming soon.

Here's to a long and happy relationship.....

Mick.
Oddjob06/03/2010 10:50:13
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Welcome Mick

Having been a lurker you will be aware that we are a friendly bunch - no abuse, no bad language but lots of encouragement.  I wish you a long and happy membership.

Your "turnery" looks pretty good for a beginner to me. Looking forward to seeing your other work.

Richard
George Arnold06/03/2010 11:34:01
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Hi Mick
Welcome, I agree with Richards comments, some nice looking turning.

George
dennis wake06/03/2010 11:56:55
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Mick
  and welcome to the site. hade a look at your turnings and they are realy good keep them coming.
dennis
Sparky06/03/2010 13:42:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Mick and welcome to the forum.

I too have browsed your album and certainly enjoyed it. You have some great turned projects for a beginner.

Glad you have entered some details in your profile but, could I ask if you place some of your comments above in there too. This will help others when you get into chatting a lot more as some people will not read this. Cheers

Marc 
Ron Davis06/03/2010 16:46:12
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Welcome to the forum, ask just about any woodwork  question and someone will answer.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts

Ron
Alan T.06/03/2010 17:35:52
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Mick,  A warm welcome to the forum and hope your participation continues.I have looked at your album which shows you have been turning for some time. You have quite a few exotic timbers therein. Did you bring them into the country on your many trips abroad. Keep up the good work and sharing of same. Cheers   Alan T.  
Ralph Harvey06/03/2010 19:36:10
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Mick

Dito to all the above, i like your turning some impresive work there, look forward to the "flat stuff" ? got me intreegued

Ralph
Sparky06/03/2010 21:20:42
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Mick

If ever you want inspiration, have a look at the members albums from above.....they are fantastic.

Marc
Mick Strefford06/03/2010 21:37:38
13 forum posts
50 photos
Thanks for the positive feedback guys... it's good to belong to a team that provides encouragement to its members.

Sparky - thanks - profile updated.
Alan T - Most of my wood I pick up from where I can - Native Scottish Hardwoods from Scottish Wood http://www.scottishwood.co.uk/  in Inzevar Woods to the west of Dunfermline, I have a finely tuned ear which can hear a chainsaw miles sway. The exotics i get from BURHOUSE2 just outside of Perth.
http://www.jeanburhouse.com/ . and I'm lucky to have a neighbour who does some work on some of Scotlands ancient houses/mansions and picks up the odd slice of 250 year old oak and cedar!

Mick
Sparky06/03/2010 21:50:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Nice to read you Mick.

Marc

PS, Did subsea.uk ever get back to you in regards to the Toshiba P20-504 laptop 
Mick Strefford06/03/2010 22:51:29
13 forum posts
50 photos
Crikey  Marc!-

PS, Did subsea.uk ever get back to you in regards to the Toshiba P20-504 laptop 

that must have been a while back! - I haven't touched toshiba repairs for years.
To be honest i can't remember that specific case - we used to handle tens of repairs each day - now we have passed all repair responsibility to our belfast workshop.

Good to see you've done your research though!  (wink wink)

cheers
Mick

Sparky06/03/2010 22:59:01
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I wondered if that would bring back some memories

Gotta keep me eye out on you members haven't I  

Marc 
Mark Sutton07/03/2010 13:13:57
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Mick

I must make a visit to dunfermline at some point, and i also use Jean Burrhouse2 for some of my wood, but being further North i gain most of wood locally or go towards Ullapool.  Nice to see some very good turnings, and i am also an Ex Serviceman myself, served 25yrs in the RAF.  Keep up the good Work

Mark
Mick Strefford07/03/2010 13:35:39
13 forum posts
50 photos
Hi Mark - Nice trout - have you been out this year yet?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact