By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Super Glue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane03/03/2010 22:25:03
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
As many of you are aware that I am partial to a bit of pen turning.

This involves using super glue (cyanoacrylate) as a finish and as of late I have found that it is starting to effect me with breathing and the like. What I would like to know is

1  What type of gas does this produce when heated through friction

2 What would be the best protection against it

This should get the tiny grey cells working
Delete03/03/2010 23:46:43
575 forum posts
Not being a Chemist I am guessing but I would be surprised if I am not close.

1.  The vapours given off are likely to be a Cyanide b\sed vapour. Not the sort of thing you should be breathing.

2. Your best protection is not to use this product as a Polish.

Any material containing Cyanide should be handled with care. WHen I was a Photographer we used to have Potassium Fericyanide in one of the processes. It can be absorbed by the skin and finger nails. 

Perhaps more important I would not wish to use a pen which had been finished with such a product  I hope you put a health warning on them.

Sorry to be such a Kill joy

Rog
Sparky04/03/2010 00:11:45
7631 forum posts
22 photos
 Derek
I would always use a dust/gas mask and in a well ventilated area........

This was taken from a 'Fuming' site..................

1. Cyanide gas is only formed if the glue temp rises above 400 degrees F.

2. When dealing with superglue, make sure you do not get any on yourself if you are wearing cotton clothing. Superglue reacts with cotton, and it will burn.

I also saw Formaldehyde mentioned!

Marc
Oddjob04/03/2010 09:15:48
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Derek

You may not have noticed but, coincidentally, there is an ad on this page for "High Quality Super Glue.  It takes you to sureloc-direct.com.  If you go there and read the health and safety data you will find that cyanoacrylate is highly unlikely to be the cause of your problem.  Perhaps a visit to the Doc is called for?

Good luck

Richard
Alan T.04/03/2010 19:11:00
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Derek, I also use super glue often but its only when I add accelerator that it fumes.
Used normally it hardly smells at all. If there are serious issues with it's use then surely the manufacturers would be obliged to publicise them. Cheers   Alan T. 
Ralph Harvey04/03/2010 20:10:42
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Derek

I like some have suggested think you should be fine using super glue with a dust mask, the trouble you are experiencing is because you are not using it as it was designed so there will be no relevent health warning,

Just keep your work area well ventelated and wear a mask, failing that just check at your docs, better safe than sorry

Ralph
dennis wake04/03/2010 23:18:58
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Derek
   found this coshh sheet hope it helps.>>this< 
Delete04/03/2010 23:56:28
575 forum posts
AlanT

Carbon Monoxide also does not smell. In fact I think you will find other Noxous gases are Odourless and colourless.

As I said before, I would be very carefull about using any Cyanide basec product, especially outside it intended area of use. Cyanide is onee of the poisions which has a build up ability . Again I would not wish to buy a pen made using such a product and I suspect many others might think twice. Pens are so often put in the mouth and sucked possibly in the belief it aids concentration.

Any dust in the lungs can cause problems and a good mask should always be used. If you look at some of the dust related problems. Nasel Cancer discovered in High Wycombe Furnature Makers. This was attributed to hard wood dust. I could go on but at nearly midnight I will refrain.

Rog
steve h05/03/2010 13:44:42
403 forum posts
128 photos
I just put in "asthma & cyanoacrylate" into google search and appears to be a strong link between asthma induced response to the use of this stuff, as you said it is causing you breathing issues, I thought of asthma as I know people who have had asthma induced from chemical compounds -

Maybe worth a look Derek?

Derek Lane05/03/2010 20:00:55
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks to all for the information will have to look into it a bit more before i recommence using this method
Oddjob05/03/2010 21:30:52
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Derek
You can be pretty confident that the tiny amount of cyanoacrylate you have been exposed to has done no damage uinless you have an allergy.  I doubt that the quantities concerned would do any damage if you had eaten it!   The research found on Google (and I have read dozens of  pages of it) only found problems with subjects who were exposed to significant industrial quantities over long periods and a very few (almost negligible) instances of allergic reactions.

If you have experienced breathing problems in the workshop then dust is the most likely cause but even then I doubt that you have been exposed to anywhere near enough to have caused a problem.  You have only started wood-turning in recent years haven't you?  It takes pretty long exposure without protection to cause problems.

As I suggested before - Perhaps a visit to the Doc is called for?  Allergies to specific substances are easily proven if they exist.

Richard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact