By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Table saw blade

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve h03/03/2010 13:37:11
403 forum posts
128 photos
I Know I have asked this question before, but I was after the exact part number of the blades - I have recently purchased a new SIP 250 cast iron table saw, with the odd blade size of 254 with a 25.4 bore.

Rutlands have been ever so helpfull, as NONE of their blades fit this machine!

I know I can purchase blades with a 30mm bore and then buy the reducers, I wanted to know which blades other owners have purchased, so I know it will work, rather than guessing & I am after a better quality blade.

If you could supply the codes and where you purchased them, I would really appreciate the help.

many thanks in advance - Steve
Sparky03/03/2010 14:47:30
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Steve
When I bought a new blade for my machine I got the adapter with it.
Try ScrewFix or even your local B&Q.........Take your blade with you, that will help immensely.

Marc
steve h03/03/2010 16:03:22
403 forum posts
128 photos
Thanks Marc, my problem is not so much the bore size, but the blade isze as well, 254mm is very unusual, but I want to know if I can get away with a 260mm, rather than a 250mm, for cutting capacities.

I know there are quite a few guys on this site have this machine and have purchased good quality blades for them, at least if they have the actual part number and supplier, I acn then see exactly what I can use, rather than having to put up with - (no disrespect intended),  wholesale guys that have never run or understand machines like this.

B & Q cannot even get spares for the power tools they sell, they tell me to go to a distributor, like D & M for dewalt etc.
John Kinch03/03/2010 16:35:13
206 forum posts
91 photos
Steve,  I use 250 in place of 254 but it may be dicy using 260. The periferal speed would be greater with 260 and could cause safety problems.

Regards, john.

Sparky03/03/2010 16:36:47
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Big Al03/03/2010 17:35:06
1596 forum posts
73 photos
Hi steve, I would have thought that you could get away with a 260mm blade so long as you can adjust you riving knife to suit.

As for peripheral speed, I dont think it would make that much difference. If say you tried to fit a 230mm blade on a machine that is meant to have a 216mm blade then you may have problems.

Personally on my sip I use 250mm blades with no problem, I use freud blades that I used to buy from machine mart, but I dont know if they sell them any more. Dont bother with cheap blades, they are rubbish, wont last long and dont have a lot of meat on the tips which then means you cant get them sharpened.

Al 
steve h03/03/2010 22:56:15
403 forum posts
128 photos
thanks Marc, the sealy ones look just like the SIP ones, I did not want to loose any cutting height, but in the interests of safety - i do love my fingers & thumbs - I would prefer the better quality ones -

Thanks Al, I am aleady looking, hopefully Axminster will do them or something similar?

I do realise that a good blade makes a lot of difference, I was just very disappointed with Rutlands really, I have spent quite a bit with them over the years & regrettably, they would not recommend any of their blades, although I purchased the machine from them!
Delete03/03/2010 23:55:23
575 forum posts
Steve

Use a tape measure and measure the machine you will soon see if there is any chance of the larger blade causing a clash.

I would reccomend contacting CRM saws at Waterloovile in Hampshire. They are experts in Saw blades and can advise you on blades to use for particular applications you have. As far as the bore size I would prefer  ot use an adaptor in the blade. CRM can supply blades with the center to the size you require.  I would suggest checking the shaft as 25.4 sounds a bit odd. 25 .00 yes almost half a mm clearance sounds a bit loose to me. However CRM will advise.

Rog
Jan De Klerk04/03/2010 09:47:35
57 forum posts
9 photos
Steve
Try Wealden Tool Company. I don't think the periferal speed will be a problem, manufacturers normally specify the maximum blade use with regards to safe operation of their machine
Jan 
Big Al04/03/2010 17:23:12
1596 forum posts
73 photos
roger, it is a 25.4mm shaft, or 1 inch in english. I use a reducer sleeve with no problem.

Al 
Delete05/03/2010 00:12:21
575 forum posts
Big Al

OK point taken. I suppose that was something of a Senior Moment. It didnt even register as Imperial. Oh stupid me.
I would still reccomend CRM they also have a CNC sharpening machine and can look after your blades in the future. They are only a postman away if you dont live in the are Hampshire area.. I am in Devon and use them.

Rog

Edited By Roger B on 05/03/2010 00:13:38

steve h05/03/2010 13:33:30
403 forum posts
128 photos
Thanks to all,

Decided to give the boys at Axminster a call and purchased a CMT (Orange Tools) blade, yes no issue specifying their blades and which reducing bush to use.

I have also used axminster many times and will now favour them as a result of Rutlands not supporting the products they sell.

Delete05/03/2010 19:22:56
575 forum posts
You might well do well net time you are buying a machine to think Axminster. They are getting bigger almost by the month. OK I exagerate a bit.  It is only a short while ago they only had 2 shops now they have 4. Ian Styles has been busy..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact