By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Air drven piercing tools

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Atkinson01/03/2010 09:06:40
672 forum posts
115 photos

HI all

I have an opportunity to buy a compressor, 1.5Hp - as yet I don;t know how big the tank is, but I understand it is a Powertask from Axminster.  It comes with a nailer and paint sprayer.  I was thinking of buying it so I could use one of those air driven piercing/carving tools.  (the nailer might come in handy to stick my turnings back together again (before you mention it!)

Trouble is I know damn all about the tooling.

Can anyone tell me what size reservoir is needed in the compressor?  Where do you buy the tools themselves?  Any other useful information

Looking forward to the replies.
Cheers Dave

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 01/03/2010 09:07:23

Alan T.01/03/2010 09:48:06
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Dave, I bought a small air compressor complete with spray gun tyre inflater and nailer. I use it mostly to clean dust out of difficult grain patterns before applying finish and also to power my air brush. Its also generally useful for cleaning dust of shelves etc in the workshop.Thinking it would be easier to manipulate than my battery drill while power sanding I bought an air drill with an air requirement similar to the output of the compressor. It did not work . The machine could not keep up and was permanently on. The noise is also not pleasant. To be successful I would need one with twice as much output and also site it somewhere other than the workshop. To sum up, OK but not perfect. Alan T. 
Sparky01/03/2010 13:58:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Dave

Compressor made in Italy. All else made in China.
Selling for less than £60 (used)

OR

All I can find on Powertask is Rockworth powertask which are Nutool/Nu Air, I wonder if Axminster just sold their compressors.

It seems Axminster doesn't do that model anymore (that I can find).

Hope this helps.

Marc

Dave Atkinson01/03/2010 14:24:06
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks Alan and Marc for the information

Cheers Dave 
Ron Davis01/03/2010 19:48:25
1619 forum posts
201 photos
If you have ever used an air tool. you will be thankful for progress in the shape of a battery powered drill. Air tools are notable for lack of torque, and that is in a garage wih industrial equipment.

Ron
Dave Atkinson02/03/2010 09:15:05
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks Ron, Marc and Alan

All advice much appreciated.  I've decided to give it a miss for now.

Cheers Dave 
Delete02/03/2010 19:09:07
575 forum posts
I have two small compressors and would not be without them. If you want to use a tool which has what I term a single shot shuch as a nailer then one of these small compressors is fine. If you want to do something which requires a continuous run like sanding you need to look at the air demand for the tool. THe small compressors can typically supply some 5 of 6 cu ft of air per minute. A sander might require 10 cu ft per minute. SO one small compressor will run out of air in a few seconds. Hence I have 2 compressors.  Normally I only run one compressor to inflate tyres and bang in the odd brads. The blower also gets the odd bit of use. When I want to sand I put both compressors on and one has its pressure switch set just under the other. THese 2 units reside outside the Workshop in the Dust collection shed. They can be switched on remotley from the workshop as can the Dust extraction system. If you can get one at the right price go for it a small unit will be limited but think out side the box. you will find it worthwhile.

Rog
Ralph Harvey03/03/2010 10:16:18
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Dave

I have a smallish compressor that sits under my bench most of the time, i only use it for the nail gun, i keep meaning to look at other tools for it but just havn't got round to it.

When i need it i wouldnt be without it ! just one thing though if you can set it up outside the workshop that is a good, idea mine is very noisy !

Ralph
Dave Atkinson03/03/2010 10:36:55
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks Roger and Ralph.  I have a small compressor which i use for airbrushing and it is quiet.  It doesn;t get much use but as Ralph says I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers Dave 
dennis wake09/03/2010 17:36:56
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Dave
   i have just been looking on this site and it has a section on tips to bying air compressors hope it is of use to you.>>hear<
dennis
Dave Atkinson10/03/2010 05:05:51
672 forum posts
115 photos
Thanks Dennis, that's very useful

Cheers Dave 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact