By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router Table Build

T Track

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Main26/02/2010 08:29:15
12 forum posts
Hi
I am currently building a portable router table, which is on casters, and the same height as me workbench. I have laminated the top the last week, and have a Trend router plate still to fit. I have just invested in a T11, from D&M Tools for a nice price of £229.96.
Having never built such an item before, I am interested in any comments or help in its final finish, ie: T Track, where do I get them, who is best/cheapest, and should I buy or build a fence, I am currently undecided.

Cheers

Andy
Delete26/02/2010 11:27:18
575 forum posts
Andy

In my opinioon the best Router table design was done by the New Yankee Workshop. I used their design when I built my Router table. One or two others on here have used the design as a good starting point.
For Track Look at Rutland. I bought mine direct from the USA and I am super Happy with it I also got a realy good quality Mitre guide to fit the track. If I remember the track was made by Fast Track.
The Fence incorporates Dust extraction.

Rog
Sparky26/02/2010 13:23:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Andrew

I was one of the many members who made Norm's router table.

The track I used was the Kreg combo £32.55 48 inch which fitted the length and the slides for the upper fence. >> Kreg combo at Axminsters <. the 24 inch only cost £24.40.

What makes this ideal is its double track which you can use two different sized accessories like featherboard hold downs.

I also bought their mitre fence for £20.95 which slides beautifuly >> Mitre fence <

If your going down the bought fence, The kreg do one to go with the track but, its a bit pricey....£178.95 >> Kreg fence <....I, however, made mine as was the router table's plans.

Rutlands tracks & fences.....

Fences can be found >> here < 

This track costs £ 20.95 for the 42 inch, they also do 24 and 32 inch, >> link here < 

I bought this for the table to fence slides.
 Dont forget to buy the 'T' bolts too! >> HERE <

I'll try to get some more updated pictures of the table later today....

Hope this helps.

Marc
Andrew Main26/02/2010 14:33:12
12 forum posts
Rog,

Thanks for the reply, I have posted stuff before but got limited response, I must admit I have bought from Rutlands before, some good quality and some poor, I have seen this track system that you mentioned, I think it's by Dakota, but as I have never seen it rated anywhere before, I didn't hold out more hope than to have a look for a diferent brand.

Looks like I came to the right place, I do love recomends.

Marc, 

Again thanks for the reply, I have had a look at Axminsters, and the Kreg stuff looks good.
The fence is expensive, but I must admit I am more inclined to build one myself, as for the track, did you buy the twin mitre track and mitre form Axminsters? Did you use the Dakota track and bolts for your fence?

Hey getting more excited than the wife buying stuff.

Thanks again
Andy
Sparky26/02/2010 14:45:44
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Andrew

I've just taken some images of the table to help answer your questions.

As you can see, the fence is more than adequate for the job (that Norm knows what he's doing ).

The Kreg track came from Axminsters and is very made (as all Kreg gear is). With the combo, you can utilise both track sections to suit the bolts you have, I used filed down coach bolts for the large and small nut & bolts for the smaller track.

It is the most I've paid out on the table (other than the wood) but, the quality does show a mile.

Let us know how you get on and upload your progress in the albums.......

And, if the wife is buying.....well, you DO need the best!

Marc
Sparky26/02/2010 14:47:35
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Some more images here >> My table album <

Hope it helps

Marc

PS; If you click on the pictures in the above post, your see more details.

If you need anymore images to help, just ask

Edited By sparky on 26/02/2010 14:54:04

Andrew Main26/02/2010 15:35:51
12 forum posts
Marc,

Cheers for the info, my minds made up its Kreg for me!

I can see that you have a serious routing urge, by the photos, mines a long way to go but heyho, thats all part of the fun.

Will let you know here when I get home and put some more finishing touches to the table.

Cheers
Andy
Sparky26/02/2010 16:00:32
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Andrew
I must admit, the router and table had been on my list even before I rebuilt the shed. I had thought of making lots of dovetailed boxes for presents....well, the boxes were made but I loved hand cut tails and have done them by hand ever since.

All the router bits came from eBay....I was very lucky to get 35 bits made by Clarke for £25 and with the box that came with the Bosch router, they soon started to fill up the table slide .

I had the old table top for about a year until I could afford the Kreg track and that gave me the urge to finish the table off.....now it looks a lot better finished.

I've used the new top once so far to make some picture frames and it was a pleasure to have the fence sliding properly.

Good luck

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact