By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Clock

African Hard Wood

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam25/02/2010 17:38:11
386 forum posts
110 photos
Ok , this has been my latest project  .   After being presented with the piece of well chosen wood I was determined to make a clock .   I didnt know how to mark the hours .
After a little thought I relised that I had some lovely Orange coloured wood that would contrast with the black .  I marked out the hours and drilled them out as if plugging and then using the corresponding plug cutter cut out the orange plugs . I glued them in and then left it for the night .

Next day I sanded it well planed the back down . I had to create a recess for the clock mechanism as the wood was about 20mm thick but the clock only allows for about 10 . So I recessed it using forsner bits then squared it up .  After the mechanism was fitted I finished it with 2 coats of good old Danish and then fitted the hands . And Voila . 

And now I just need to decide where to hang it !!

Cheers

Edited By Sam on 25/02/2010 17:38:59

Sparky25/02/2010 17:44:35
7631 forum posts
22 photos
That's a nice bit of wood Sam.
Colour choice for the markers may need brightening up slightly in my opinion (for what its worth).........some blends into the black wood a tad to much......perhaps brass would of been a choice I'd of used.
Good job none the less

The black wood shape almost reminds me of Homer Simpson shouting!

Marc
Ron Davis25/02/2010 19:55:46
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Sam, I am envious of your piece of African Black wood.and you have made a lovely clock with it. I wish someone would be as generous to me with such a lovely piece of wood.

I have posted an album on making a clock and you may be interested in my ideas on marking the hours and routing the recess. try this link.

>> here<

Ron
Ralph Harvey25/02/2010 23:30:31
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Very nice piece of wood Sam

I have often looked at the African Blackwood at my local suppliers, a tad too expensive for me, very nice of someone to give it to you.

I like the idea but i must agree with Marc about the choice of contrast timber, sorry

Well done for a great idea though look forward to your next project.

Ralph
Mark Sutton26/02/2010 12:30:27
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Sam

Very nice Clock, especially the African Blackwood, i love natural edges, but i do agree with the other posters some of the marking merge into the Blackwood, i maybe would of used Holly or a very light wood.  But each and everyone of us is different and have different ideas and it is what suits ourselves.

Well done though.

Mark
George Arnold26/02/2010 15:04:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sam
Like the clock,you have made good use of a lovely piece of wood, I agree about the markers for the hours , but of course that going from the photo , things often look different in the normal light.

George
Sam26/02/2010 19:05:30
386 forum posts
110 photos
Well shucks guys , you know how to make me blush !!    

But seriously , thanks for the imput . It was my dearly beloved which chose the wood . I do struggle with imagination . I am an anul sort of guy , square edges , uniform , symmetry etc .    So for me it was a wild card .  I will admit that it does look better in flesh as you said george , but 7 and 8 oclock for some reason did darken more than the rest !!and my photography skills could be better .

And thanks for the link Ron , it is a good source for inspiration if you have no objections of course ?  

I would say that it took about 3 hours of playing and fiddling with as I took it easy so I didnt kill a £5 piece of wood .  My biggest fear was thicknessing it as it was rough as a badger on the other side and got it down to 18mm  by had as I dont have a thicknesser . 

And little did I realise when I purchased the clock mechanism that in the same box there are identical mechanism's that have a hole in the center brass nut that allows for a "second" hand . Had I known this I would of fitted it , but hey lessons learnt .

But once again thanks all for your kind words and constructive comments about possible other ways of Hour Marking  .

Cheers All          Sam 

Ron Davis26/02/2010 19:53:47
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Sam, I put in he link for every one to use.

Ron
Delete27/02/2010 15:45:29
575 forum posts
Hi Sam

I cant say more about the clock it has already been said. A great job.
On the Photography fromt it is not bad. Only one thing it looks as though your light source was at the Camera hence the reflection in the centre of the Clock. Very often with modern Digital Cameras you can get away with the availabe light or use the room light. Switch off the flash and some light from about 45 degreesto the side of the camera. the reflection will be visible 45 degrees to the other side and not at the camera. also it will cause a little shadow and give some depth. Sorry Off topic Photography not woodwork.

Rog

Edited By Roger B on 27/02/2010 15:46:51

Ron Davis27/02/2010 15:50:04
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Roger, it is useful info for us all, especially those who post. so thanks for that

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 27/02/2010 15:50:21

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact