By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Finding a Lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geordie23/02/2010 00:14:16
7 forum posts
Hi folks,
I'm pretty new to this posting lark so I'll apologise first for my spelling !!

Thing is I'm in the market for a woodturning lathe, but as I'm a newcomer to the skill I've been wondering if I should buy a new machine or alternatively look for something second hand.

As there are no second hand dealers near me that I know of, I did what most bargain hunters do i.e. went straight to old faithful E Bay to see what was available, great I thought as there were more than 5 pages of lathe  "Stuff" offered for sale, I was even more happy when I spotted there were quite a few second hand and a few brand new machines there to study and maybe even bid for.

And here's where my problems arose, almost every lathe that looked even workable had, against delivery details, "To be Collected only", and just about every one was from areas around the middle of England.

Oh didnt I mention it ?, thing is I live up here in the north of Scoland near Aberdeen, you'll maybe remember Aberdeen, its the centre of the North Sea oil industry and must handle thousands and thousands of tons of road bourne frieght for dispatch to the hundreds of active rigs, every week.

Now Having seen that most of the second hand E Bay items were a bit out of my driving range I thought that the new M/C option probably was my only choice. This will be a lot easier I thought, but guess what, some of the suppliers that I started to contact who even had "Free delivery in the UK". will only deliver to adresses as far as Edinburgh !!! and anything farther north was either ignored or carried a hefty surcharge!!!.

Yes yes before anyone blows a fuse and tells me all about the price of fuel, I could understand if carrage charges were say graded  re the distance to delivery but a line drawn across Scotland is a bit much.

Now the reason for this post, apart from having a good old moan, is to send out an appeal to any of your other Scottish readers for any information re possible dealers (second hand) who are based anywhere say North of Edinburgh that deal with lathes etc.

There is one supplier in Aberdeen who will sell new machines but they are all in high end of the market and I'm not quite ready to turn professional (Yet) LOLL

Dave Atkinson23/02/2010 09:23:17
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Geordie

Try contacting the local woodturning clubs in your area.  Have a look at www.woodturners.co.uk - this is the AWGB's website.  They have a number of branches in Scotland - the Grampian club meets in Aberdeen. 

There is another in Dundee and one in Barmossie which meets at Barmossie wood supplies.  There is also the Highland club in Inverness which is no longer part of the AWGB.

I'm sure your local club will be only too pleased to help and you may find that one of their members has a second hand lathe for sale.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Dave 

PS we can;t spell either!! 

Geordie23/02/2010 13:36:40
7 forum posts
Brilliant Dave that's a great idea, I'll get on to that and let you know how I get on

FYI I just got a reply from the company that started all this, they've contacted their carrier and there's a £91 surcharge to deliver their lathe the extra about 150 miles !!!! or to put it in perspective almost a 1/3 of the cost of the lathe itself. 

And we aint talking highland single track roads here Dave, instead we have dual carriageways almost right to my door !!!  

And you wonder why we Scots are "careful" with our bawbee's LOLLL

Thanks again Dave

George 

Olly Parry-Jones23/02/2010 22:44:26
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Geordie and welcome to the forum.

You could try using Shiply.com to obtain further courier quotes. It's free to list there and it works in an auction format, but in reverse. Might be worth a shot to see what interest you can get after a few days.
Ged Meager23/02/2010 22:59:21
222 forum posts
Hi Geordie good to see you on the forum Another place to look although I'm sure you've tried in the classified here ,or in thback of good wood magazive Good luck with your new hobby
woodturne_ged
Geordie24/02/2010 14:10:34
7 forum posts
Thanks for that info OPJ I've had a look at the site and I will definately use it if I cant get the suppliers to treat me like a "normal" UK member LOLLL

And thanks too for the idea's Ged I'm already scanning almost all the mags but I'd missed the good wood mag so I'll give it a go.

Thanks to Dave's suggestion I've got a contact name for the Grampian Woodturners club so I'm about to find out what they are all about,

So watch this space

Thanks to all again

George 
Delete24/02/2010 18:22:25
575 forum posts
Hi Geordie

Welcome to the site I cant spull eifer so dont worry no one comments on spelling only to help sort out questions.

Rog
Geordie24/02/2010 20:03:49
7 forum posts
That'll do for me Rog

George
George Arnold25/02/2010 19:34:29
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Geordie
 If you get Good Woodworking, there is an article on getting your first lathe, there are several good points in the article I know that does not help with your delivery problem.

Welcome to the site.

George
Geordie25/02/2010 21:11:51
7 forum posts
Hi George

Just by coincidence George, my Mrs bought me a subscription of Good Woodworking for my birthday and the first copy (containing the lathe article) arrived about a week ago!!.

It looks handy and they recommend Record DML305 and the Axminster AWVSL 900 as an adequate starter lathe.

I've done a bit of searching and was thinking of the Axminster 1000 which is 10 speed, has a slightly bigger motor and uses No 2 morse tapers instead of the 900's No 1's.

Then dash it along came the advert for the Fox 46 - 719 lathe which has a 1 horse motor plus 10 speed but it was this company that wanted a suppliment of £90 to travel an extra 150 miles!!, however I sent them a nasty e mail and they actually decided to cut their transport charges by £40 !!, but its left me still undecided.

I wonder if any of the readers have any comments about the Axminster or the Fox ? 

Anyway thanks for pointing the article out to me George

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact