By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Axminster AWEPT106

Thinking of buying a planer/Thicknesser

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chip off the old Block 120/02/2010 13:02:25
15 forum posts
Does anyone have any experience of the Axminster AWEPT 106,am interested in the quality and any sortfalls it may have .Is it straight forward to set up?
I am a hobby user but want the best I can afford.Is it as good as its branded cousins.Any comments welcomed.Many thanks.
Sparky20/02/2010 15:42:59
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Chip

I don't know anything about these machines but, I'm sure your get plenty of replies to your question.

Certainly looks a good machine!

One thing I will say is to read the reviews on Axminster's page found >> here <<. This will give you some idea.

Marc
Delete20/02/2010 18:09:28
575 forum posts
Chips

I dont know this machine personally but looking at the Axminster pages it looks OK to me. One of the important factors is feed speed versus knife speed. These machines cut little scolops out of the timber the faster the knives rotate and the slower the feed the closer the cuts are . If the feed speed is too fast you get a corugated effect. When the formula is right the material looks and feels perfectaly flat and smooth.

If you live near an Axminster outlet phone them up and see if they have one on Demo.
Their mail place at Axminsted in Devon might be the best bet. All I can say the staff at Axminster (Devon) are very helpfull.

The one thing I would do is to make a base with Axminsted 100mm braked Castors and pet some drawers in a cupboard on the base then fit the machine without its base. My Schepech had a metal base but I needed the machine to be mobile. ANd utilised the space under the machine which otherwise would have been dead.
Chip off the old Block 120/02/2010 19:48:25
15 forum posts
Thanks Roger,if I do purchase one I will get some castors fitted.
Delete21/02/2010 13:27:40
575 forum posts
The problem with fitting castors on the standard base is it makes the machine too high . Hence I make a castored base with a cabinet which takes the machine on top maknig the total height what I want.
My cabinet I made had a top edge for the machine to sit on at in feed and out feed ends. Between the edges I sloped the surface from center to either side so any chippings geting underneath could be easily removed. I also took the bottom off the machine. It was a sheet of steel with holes in it to allow chippings to fall through. I did the same thing with the Table saw.
Making a castor base I was able to make it wider than the machine so when the castor is turned under the base the weight is not outside the castors. THus making it more stable.
Andy Spence 323/02/2010 16:16:20
67 forum posts
3 photos
i have had one of these for the last 2 years, i have it fitted on heavy duty trolley. I have had no problems with the machine at all, seting up was very easy, and very easy to use. I have no real problems with snipe at the ends. I believe that they now have a cast iron fence, this would improve set up as i do check 90 degress every few passes.

I have not need yet to sharpen the blades so could not tell you how easy or hard this would be.

You would need a good extractor sysyem with this, and ear plugs.

When i moved workshop / house the machine was dropped and a securing bolt was broken, Axminster then send 2 out as i was not sure on the size the next day, and i remember them charging for it.

I hope that this helps

Chip off the old Block 123/02/2010 20:14:14
15 forum posts
Thanks guys,the height wouldnt be a problem as Im six two and find standard height slightly too low.
Andy is the noise due to a brush motor?
Olly Parry-Jones23/02/2010 22:33:42
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Instead of trying to fit castors, I would recommend one of these universal mobile bases. Assemble it to the appropriate size and you can drop the machine straight in. You may still have to check that the cabinet door will swing open without fouling the frame of the base. I've already got a couple of these on two of my machines (each weighing 150kg) and they really are great.

I once bought a planer/thicknesser from Axminster that looks identical to this one (except, it was painted yellow and branded 'Perform' with a 'Hobby' user rating). It seemed okay at first but I soon noticed several flaws - the biggest problem was that the belt driving the feed rollers in the thicknesser would overstretch and wear out prematurely. This could well be an alignment issue between the pulley and spindle (I never checked). This problem may not even exist with the current design...

Another problem I had was that, after removing the outfeed table to perform a thicknessing operation,  when it came to re-fitting the table, the grub screws used to set its height would always have moved and would then need readjustment. Very frustrating although, I now wonder whether the grub screws could've been locked in place with a thread-locking problem.

This machine also has a 2,200w motor - mine died after less than two-years but, they appear to have since upgraded this to a Trade-rated model (which usually suggests a slightly better quality motor). You'd probably find that, on a standard 13amp supply, it'll dim the lights and won't start if something else is running in the background. It draws slightly more than 13amps on startup so, I always had to switch the planer on first, then the thicknesser! Otherwise, it'll keep blowing or tripping the fuse.

For over eighteen-months now, I've had an AW106PT and I've been very happy with it. You get a lot of extra machine for the extra money.
Chip off the old Block 124/02/2010 18:15:32
15 forum posts
Thanks OP,the problems you had seem to be common to this design,have to give it lots of thought befor I part with my cash.
Andy Spence 324/02/2010 18:19:03
67 forum posts
3 photos
I dont know were the noise is from. I have mine on a 13 amp fuse, and it has not to date tripped any fuses.

I have found that it works best taking small cuts rather than trying to take too much at a time, the max I turn the wheel when thicknessing in 1/2 a turn, this i have found gives best results, with only a small amount of tear out when a used maple.

Mine is fitted with the aminster heavey duty base, thi si not the easiest to move around as it only likes to move in straight lines.

I dont find the hieght a problem, iam 6 ft 2 my self and find the extra hieght helpfull when planning long heavy lenghts.

I bought this machine as being Scotish I found it hard to part with more money than I had too. I would say that for the money this is a very good machine, that has changed my wood working, and the jobs that I am able to do, I am still on my wardrobe doors and have been for some time.

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact