By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Planer Thicknesser recommendation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jules19/02/2010 19:05:10
5 forum posts
Evening all

This is my first 'thread' so sorry if I get it wrong!.  I am a keen diy woodworker and am now looking for an  old planer thicknesser - so that you get a decent cast iron table with it.
The problem I have is that I was only looking at about £150 - a chance do you think? Also what would a good one be?

Grateful for any advice

Jules
Oddjob19/02/2010 19:33:43
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I reckon your chances of getting a decent one with a cast iron table fall somewhere between very slim and zero.  You may get one with an alloy table at or about your budget.

Richard
Olly Parry-Jones19/02/2010 19:43:49
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Welcome to the forum.

I'm inclined to agree with Richard... Unless you got very lucky, you're unlikely to get an old cast iron machine for that amount. Another consideration is that a lot of the old machines will be wired up for 415v so, unless you have a three-phase supply, you'd either have to spend another £100+ on an inverter to run it off 230v or buy a new motor and fit it. That's not to they're all like it; looking on eBay, that is how the majority appear. You may have to double your budget and keep your fingers crossed.
Delete20/02/2010 00:26:52
575 forum posts
The best machine you might have a chance of buying is a Schepach . The older ones had a steel table . Not as good as cast but I find mine perfectally adequate. It also gives a very good cut and came top in the Woodworker review some 6 or 7 years ago.
You might have to up your finances a bit  to get a good machine even without a Cast table.
Big Al20/02/2010 08:18:27
1604 forum posts
73 photos
I bought a sheppach 260 10 years ago, like roger mine has the steel table and it is a fantastic machine, very accurate.

There is a kity on ebay that may suit you, click here for the listing. 

Al 
Jules20/02/2010 10:16:53
5 forum posts
Gents
Many thanks for the advice and recommendations - I shall keep my eye out for a Sheppach and the one on ebay and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Jules
Jules21/02/2010 16:51:59
5 forum posts
Gents
On ebay there is an inca 6" planer thicknesser - which seems to run off a separate motor - I can see the planer bit, but do these have an attachment for the thicknessing bit - as always your advise most welcome

Regards
Jules
Delete22/02/2010 09:14:19
575 forum posts
Jules if you post the item number we can look at the same thing you are looking at.

Rog
Jules24/02/2010 23:01:43
5 forum posts

Gents the item number of the inca is 280465627265, but it looks as if the thicknesser attachments are not available - better luck next time!

Rgrads
jules
Robert Hopkins14/03/2010 19:52:21
3 forum posts
It's worth keeping any eye on ebay, single phase planer/thicknessers with cast iron tables can be found for £150 or under, although a bit of travelling may be required. It's worth bearing in mind that the older the model, the greater the use (and abuse?) and therefore more wear on the bearings and consequently more expense.

Rob
chris baggaley29/03/2010 21:47:22
7 forum posts
Hi, sorry to intrude but I have a problem with my woodstar pt 85. When I use it for thicknessing the table drops as the wood goes through. I can see the handle gradually unwind but can not see anything to tighten to stop it
chris
Sparky30/03/2010 19:38:47
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Chris

Not know much about this machine it does sound like the handle has lost its grip.
Once the machine is turned off, try undoing the handle and clean it and the bolt/washer it connects to, you may just have some debris which is stopping it tightening up fully.

I'm sure some other will give better advice when they see this.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marc
dennis wake30/03/2010 20:07:21
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Chris
     i have the same modle as you and i have the same problem.appart from that it is a verry good machine. will put the folt to the manufacturers and see what they come up with. will keep you informed.
dennis
Olly Parry-Jones01/04/2010 10:42:50
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Chris, you could try contacting NMA Agencies, who are the UK distributor of Woodstar products. They're usually very helpful.

Your problem sounds very irregular... Only thing I can suggest is that the knives may be very dull or, are you taking deep or heavy cuts? If it's a relatively new machine though, NMA will almost certainly be able to help.
Wood Smith04/04/2010 22:28:05
5 forum posts
I got my 60"x12" cast iron surface planer on Ebay for £50 about 4 years ago.  It had a 3 phase motor but it was one where the motor simply hung on the outside of the frame and the cutter was belt driven.  Dead easy to change the motor and starter switch helped by having an old motor lying around that was suitable.
One advantage of it being a really old, open frame, machine is that it weighs nearly half a ton and everything is adjustable and serviceable.  For chip extraction I just boxed in the cast iron frame and put a 4" pipe outlet at the bottom.

My Jet 12" thicknesser was a £99 Ebay purchase too at the same time.  It was one of a batch a seller had that were suffering minor damage.  He said a container of them fell off a boat and he was able to buy the damaged ones cheap and then replace the dented panels with original parts from the manufacturer.  I checked mine over and it was as new, except for the damaged box, and the cut was parallel.

It is worth scouring Ebay sometimes and looking at the odd and unpopular items with a view to modifying or adjusting them to suit if you are able.

Edited By Wood Smith on 04/04/2010 22:31:12

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact