By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Low antique furniture prices

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jan De Klerk11/02/2010 11:59:43
57 forum posts
9 photos
I've noticed recently that antique furniture are fetching low prices on auctions and even on eBay. This was also pointed out on the Antiques Road Show, there is no demand for antique furniture at present maybe due to the present financial position. In some cases the item is cheaper to buy than timber from a timber merchant.

How does this effect the woodworkers that have to rely on woodworking for their bread and butter?

Jan
Delete11/02/2010 13:55:06
575 forum posts
I think the real question is how many of the Woodworkers make furnature?

SOme people are doing work to their homes rather than moving. That will mean that the Kitchin and Bathroom people will be getting some work. SO it is fitted tat furnature not the Quality stuff. I guess some may be having new Dining room and sitting room, even new bedroom furanture.

Wether any of this is quality kit I guess we will have to wait for others to tell us.

Rog
Sam11/02/2010 14:02:26
386 forum posts
110 photos
Good question Jan

I would put it down to many things . First being fashion , fads etc times change .  Also maybe the the newer generations dont have the same desires and taste (ikea ) .
Maybe the market is saturated with the stuff . High manufacture costs of modern equivalents .Imported stuff dropping the price .

And on a personal note , 6 years ago I went to an antique shop and bought what i beleived to be an antique kitchen table , raised knotts from "years" of use etc . when i got it home and had a proper look ther top is made from old flor boards the legs came from some thing else and were modified for height , the drawer is made of pallet wood and the frame is another story . I had a friend who makes replica stuff take a look and he agreed with me .     None the less I am happy as it looks the part  .

I went back to the shop several months later for a nose around and guess what ......They had another table very similar and ther lady serving didnt recognise me , came over and started giving me the same "old" story .  I wouldnt mind so much if I had known it was a replica and her husband was out the back knocking them out LOL

And this is my two penneth worth

cheers
Jan De Klerk11/02/2010 15:59:01
57 forum posts
9 photos
I do try to make most of our furniture myself, although I spend more time making equipment for my wife's hobby - working dog trials - this has lead to her friends asking for equipment so I'm not doing exactly what I would like to do.(although I must admit that it helps to finance equipment and timber)

My wife bought an "antique hand made chest of drawers" but they were machine made, mass produced and needless to say not so antique. I still dont know what she paid, maybe that is why she does not complain to much when I buy tools.

I was just interested, hence my question, wether the professionals are able to make a living in these times.

Jan

Sparky11/02/2010 16:02:34
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Jan, very good question.

I think Sam hit it on the head with the fads of the new generations..........I feel there looking for more modern items than antique but, saying that, many furniture shops around our way are stocking early 20th century type furniture as it seems to be likable.........perhaps its a county thing

I, like my wife, like old English cottage type.........mostly made from Pine

Marc
Oddjob12/02/2010 10:49:20
1635 forum posts
79 photos
On The Antiques Roadshow you often see people amazed, surprised or delighted at the seemingly high valuations of furniture items.  However, it is evident that if you were to commision similar items from a cabinet maker today they would cost far more than the valuation of the antique!

Richard
Delete12/02/2010 16:40:44
575 forum posts
Sam

If the shop is claiming the Table was an antique when they sold it to you I know what I would do. Contact Trading Standards.they would be more than interested to hear about the place.

There is nothing wrong in making reproduction stuff. It can even sell for a decent price but to make out sonething which was built last week is an antique is nothing less than Fraud and Misrepresentation. and should be dealt with in the appropriate manner.
How would you feel if the Woodworker next month did a reprint on a magazine they first published 30 years ago and claimed it to be new for next month. Get the B******S nicked.

Rog
Brianhr12/02/2010 19:35:59
22 forum posts
There will only be a claim against the shop if you have an invoice which has the full description as stated by the shop.  ALWAYS, when buying antiques get an invoice showing the shop's description .   It is not necessarily the reproductions that get passed of as antiques but the age and period are frequently mis-stated.
Regarding auctions, I use house clearance auctions to obtain old furniture for recycling.  Usually it is oak but often pine and elm.  However I find the hammer price to be quite high, then having to pay 20% +VAT commission on top of that often puts it beyond my range.

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact