By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Follow on from Alan Holtham's shed door cock up!

Whats your most embarrassing mistake?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ged Meager10/02/2010 13:38:36
222 forum posts
There are times Very rarely thank god when I'm gld my dad is no longer around
because today my ears would be bleeding severely and the back of my head would be bruised from a well deserved whaking. Last night whilst planing smooth a thin piece of sapele I hit a nail and you got it dinked my blade  I could
hear his voice   from beyond the grave as the air turned blue purple and all other obsenity colours  When I went back into the house with steam still coming out of both ears my Wife said ''Bad night love''' no I said'' plane sailing''. Hey guys think of me tonight when I'm trying to regrind my blade!!!!!GED

Edited By Ged Meager on 10/02/2010 13:40:32

Sparky10/02/2010 13:59:18
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ged

That's another ouch for the list of 'I wish I hadn't done that'.

At least you can look back on it and say to yourself in a quiet voice........"Who's idea was this anyway!"

Marc
Woodworker10/02/2010 14:01:42
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
We all do it Ged! I still have scars on the bottom of my no. 5 1/2 from a similar experience. I give myself a hard time whenever I see them but I won't lap them out because they serve as a reminder to slow down and consider each job before plunging in...

Edited By Ben Plewes on 10/02/2010 14:02:20

Sparky10/02/2010 14:24:19
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hmmm. I've had a few chinks in my time and spent quite a few sweaty hours on an oil stone.......
After that I bought a honing gauge.......

Marc
Delete10/02/2010 18:34:00
575 forum posts
Yes we have all done it. Thats why I am glad I have a Scheppach Tiger to regring all my problems!!
Ged Meager14/02/2010 12:34:32
222 forum posts
Thanks guys my Pop would still have given me a v hard time. I remember when I was a kid he'd lent his Jack plane  to a nieghbour and he'd hit a nail my dad made me stay with him untill he's corrected it and I learnt the lessons
 1. Never lend your tools out especially the sharp ones
 2.If you hit a nail or a piece of metal it takes hours to grind them out In those day it was on the side in the kitchen Hobby workshops were virtualy unheard of then. The hours my dad spent rubbing that blade back and forth up and down that oil stone  I will never forget Nor will I forget my mum saying ''you should'nt use that language infronton the boy either. When I think there were no gauges to set the angle and when he'd done there was only two facets visable the main one and the cutting angle not bad craftmanship for a taxi driver. 
Big Al14/02/2010 14:06:38
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Recently I changed all of the blades in the 4 way planer at work, only for one of the other guys to put a piece of wood from a pallet, that still had nails in, even though I told him not to, through the machine and the blades had to be changed again.

Yes I did bollock him for it.

Al 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact