By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Removing self adhesive glue from disk sander

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Jones07/08/2008 17:04:00
4 forum posts
Can any body tell me how to remove the self adhesive sheet from a disk sander. When I try to pull it off it delaminates and leaves the backing paper behind. I've tried nail varnish remover but it is not very succesfull, any ideas?
Big Al07/08/2008 17:30:00
1602 forum posts
73 photos
Try solvent cleaner or thinners. Solvent cleaner is usually sold as contractors solvent cleaner, or you could try contact adhesive remover. Al
Olly Parry-Jones08/08/2008 09:24:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Axminster's Goo Gone product is supposed to be brilliant for removing gluey residues. I don't think there's anyone else in the UK who sells it (it's an American product).
Mike Garnham08/08/2008 09:54:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

How about pulling all of the sandpaper off, then turning the machine on and holding the edge of a block of wood against the spinning plate.......scraping the backing paper off? Then, if there is any adhesive left, try the solvents Al and Olly mention.

Mike 

Clive Jones08/08/2008 16:06:00
4 forum posts

Thanks to everyone who replied so promptly to me question about removing glue from a disk sander. Problem now solved thanks to you

Clive

Charles Fellows22/09/2008 14:10:00
19 forum posts

How about converting the disc to "Velcro" type backing, I have bought the required fabric from Axminster, the advantage is that the grades of the discs can changed far easier.

Regards Charles

rhys haines14/10/2008 19:53:00
32 forum posts

with past experience of removing many a sanding disk i used a wallpaper scraper- the rigid type to lift away a small edge, then using a squeezy bottle filled with thinners or something similar, squirt some down behind the disk using the scraper to peel it away as you work your way down. when finished, wipe the surface of the plate with a rag dampened with thinners

rhys 

32 forum posts

with past experience of removing many a sanding disk i used a wallpaper scraper- the rigid type to lift away a small edge, then using a squeezy bottle filled with thinners or something similar, squirt some down behind the disk using the scraper to peel it away as you work your way down. when finished, wipe the surface of the plate with a rag dampened with thinners

rhys 

Clive Jones07/08/2008 17:04:00
4 forum posts
Can any body tell me how to remove the self adhesive sheet from a disk sander. When I try to pull it off it delaminates and leaves the backing paper behind. I've tried nail varnish remover but it is not very succesfull, any ideas?
Big Al07/08/2008 17:30:00
1602 forum posts
73 photos
Try solvent cleaner or thinners. Solvent cleaner is usually sold as contractors solvent cleaner, or you could try contact adhesive remover. Al
Olly Parry-Jones08/08/2008 09:24:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Axminster's Goo Gone product is supposed to be brilliant for removing gluey residues. I don't think there's anyone else in the UK who sells it (it's an American product).
Mike Garnham08/08/2008 09:54:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

How about pulling all of the sandpaper off, then turning the machine on and holding the edge of a block of wood against the spinning plate.......scraping the backing paper off? Then, if there is any adhesive left, try the solvents Al and Olly mention.

Mike 

Clive Jones08/08/2008 16:06:00
4 forum posts

Thanks to everyone who replied so promptly to me question about removing glue from a disk sander. Problem now solved thanks to you

Clive

Charles Fellows22/09/2008 14:10:00
19 forum posts

How about converting the disc to "Velcro" type backing, I have bought the required fabric from Axminster, the advantage is that the grades of the discs can changed far easier.

Regards Charles

32 forum posts

rhys 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Craft Supplies
Triton
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact