By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bad News

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
big ian04/02/2010 16:14:10
49 forum posts
26 photos
isnt it amazing how much you take your health for granted. Was looking forward to entering the turning comp and going to my first gw live when two weeks ago i lost all use of my right arm. When i went to the hospital i was diagnosed with a rare spinal cord disease. I have had the symptoms for 2 years now and they just got arround to giving me an MRI scan last week.  I will still fowwow progress of fellow fourm users while i try and learn the art of one hand turning.

Ian
Clare Hiscock04/02/2010 16:35:41
69 forum posts
10 photos
Hi Ian, 

So sorry to hear that, I just wanted to pass on our best wishes from all of us at MyHobbyStore and Get Woodworking Live.

Kindest Regards

Clare  
George Arnold04/02/2010 16:47:36
1834 forum posts
191 photos
I am very sorry to hear of your troubles,as you say we take our health for granted, none of us know what is round the corner, I hope you can overcome your problem and find a way to enjoy your turning, there is a one armed turner who demonstrates , I cannot recall his name at this moment,I think there are many on this site who have one sort of problem or another, they come with old age in a lot of cases,
 Wishing you all the best for the future,

George
Tommy mc glynn 104/02/2010 17:23:59
291 forum posts
1 photos
Ih Ian
 just want yo add my best whis to the others.
 I work in a old folks home ans see a of stroke victims . and with the right help and the right mind set . You would be amazing the progrest they can make. so with the help of your family and friends . You will be ok. let us know how your getting on. Or if any one can help i am shour we be happy to
Sparky04/02/2010 18:15:39
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ian
The words have been said already.
Lets hope the MRI scan reveals something that can be worked on and a recovery soon be had. There are so many new discoveries made each day so, look on the bright side and keep smiling

Marc

Alan T.04/02/2010 19:26:44
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Ian,  I'd like to echo all that's been said and wish you all the best for the future. Regards. Alan T
Ron Davis04/02/2010 19:34:01
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Good luck with the MRI scan, Hope it goes well for you

Ron
Oddjob04/02/2010 20:08:54
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ian
I really, really wish you a speedy recovery.  I believe you are somewhat younger than many of us here so hopefully you will be better able to live through and to recover from this terrible debilitating disease.  Do keep us informed.

Good luck to you and your family - this setback will sadly affect all of you.

Richard
Olly Parry-Jones04/02/2010 20:51:44
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Can't imagine what must be going through your mind at the minute - really very sorry to hear this. How tragic.

If it's any consolation,  there used to be a woodworker who wrote in to Good Woodworking magazine, a few years ago, who also only had the use of one arm... Derek Bright, I think his name was? He may not have been a turner but, with a little ingenuity, he was able to make use of his bandsaw, mitre saw and other machines.

There is always hope.
dennis wake04/02/2010 20:56:06
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ian
   sorry to hear about your problem and hop that you get through this with all the help that you deserve. just take it a day at a time and recover at your own pace.
dennis
Delete04/02/2010 21:48:09
575 forum posts
Hi Ian

Please accept my sincere wishes to you. It is probbly little consolation but over the years I have met quite a few people who have been diagnosed with various things. They were told they will never do this that and the other. Due to pig headedness and shere dertermination they have overcome their problem and become much stronger people.  Dont listen to the medics who say cant, there is no such word in the English language.
Tell yourself I can and I will. If you do that then you stand a chance. If you say I can not then you will not.

My best wishes to you for the closest to a recovery as you can get.

Nil Iligetamie carbourundum

Roger

Edited By Roger B on 04/02/2010 21:50:25

Derek Lane04/02/2010 22:10:08
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I also hope things turn out alright for you. In the mean time keep in touch

Best wishes through these trying time ahead
Doug04/02/2010 22:10:27
3415 forum posts
35 photos

That`s terrible news Ian, i can only reiterate what others have said & wish you the best of luck for the future.

Best wishes. 

Baz  
sad sam04/02/2010 22:14:13
597 forum posts
234 photos
hi ian
sorry to hear of your misfurtune
ihad some bad luck myself in november i had a fall and broke my hip i was told i may not fully recover but ive got rid of the wheelchair and the crutches and im walking
i do have a limp but who cares im not making sawdust yet but i will do
i do realise you have a serious condition but stick in there and you will find a way to deal with this time and determination it is amazing what it can make you do

Ivor the engine05/02/2010 05:55:06
270 forum posts
46 photos
Hi! Ian,  Sorry to hear of your news as you say you never know whats round the corner,

Take care,

Ivor.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact