By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Lamp table design ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Higgins31/01/2010 12:22:29
54 forum posts
5 photos
Hi all ,
I'm looking for some inspiration or designs for a lamp table or two , I am willing to make it out of any wood , i don't have a lathe so turning is not an option .Any help or ideas would be appreciated .
Sparky31/01/2010 13:19:35
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Kevin

If you browse the members albums, I'm sure your get some inspiration along the line

Follow the Albums link from the top row or >> click here << and select some albums from there.

Marc
Delete31/01/2010 15:33:45
575 forum posts
I once made a standard lamp for my first wifes mother. That did not require any turning. The basic materials were not that expensive.

The base and stand were made from Mahogony and consisted of two pieces in a cross shape to form the base. The Up right was a square piece  about 4  foot long fixed to the base. Attached towards the top of the upright was a garden Broom and on the end of the broom handle was the light fitting and Shade.

Les Dawson gave me the idea for this as his Mother in Law worked in the same broomstick factory as my mother in law. They were both Test Pilots.
Ron Davis31/01/2010 16:54:18
1619 forum posts
201 photos
I did one when I was at school.it lasted donkeys years.

It was a square piece of oak about 6*6*1 for the base with four small feet on the bottom. The stem was two peices of oak about a foot high from 2*2, we had to make two perfectly flat faces, one on each piece.  then cu ta groove in one with a plough plane, and glued the two pieces togerther, this made a hole for the flex, cut a mortice in the centre of the base and a tenon on the stem, taper the stem with a plane and assemble, finishs to suit and wire up.

I use a lathe now, same principle except fo ror the addition of a long hole borer to my kit

Have fun and post the picture of the finished item

Ron
Derek Lane31/01/2010 19:25:38
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
This project can be as simple as you like and still look good. Here is a very simple idea that would need a little work to finalize
It may not be to everybodies taste but a searting point for a design

It only took a couple of minutes to draw
Ralph Harvey01/02/2010 19:31:06
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Kevin

I made a lamp many years ago that was designed like "Cleopatras Needle" a steady taper is fairly straight forward but add an inlay to the design too

Ralph
dennis wake02/02/2010 21:44:29
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
Kevin
    i made a table lamp with the use of a router and a long drill. i actualy went and got a turned stair spindle cut it to length and a pine disk cut with a router for the base.
dennis
Doug02/02/2010 22:31:23
3415 forum posts
35 photos
An octagonal upright on an octagonal base would be easy with a hand saw & plane, It could be made more elaborate, depending on what tools you have to hand.

Baz  
Darren Loucaides 111/03/2010 13:20:51
31 forum posts
18 photos
1 articles
Just a quick note to say that this discussion will me included in GW226's Maker's Notes.

Best,

Darren

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact