By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Glue for MDF

Is any ok?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mo05/08/2008 16:36:00
22 forum posts

Hi All,

I am just wondering if there is a particular type of glue that works best with MDF? I wasn't sure if normal wood glue (if there is such a thing) will do, or will the MDF just suck it up?

Just incase anyone was wondering, I am re-building the amp on my surround sound system (and seperaring the amp from the sub), as far as I am aware (have been told), MDF is a better material for  this.

Also, while I am asking this, what is the best finish to use that will give a nice glossy finish? Is varnish ok?

Mo

Olly Parry-Jones05/08/2008 16:43:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Not entirely sure about the finish but, as you suggest, MDF is very porous and will instantly soak up anything that it comes in to contact with. Therefore, it's probably a good idea to apply a sealer coat (or two) first - Rustins' do a superb water-based "MDF sealer". It should be cheaper than any other 'sanding sealer' and it will seal the MDF quite well.

PVA should fine but, again, you'll probably find the MDF will take a lot of it in, so it may be a case of lightly coating both surfaces. PVA is probably best because of its longer open time, although you can also buy five-minute PVA from Wudcare (search eBay or Axminster).

Ashley Slater05/08/2008 16:48:00
52 forum posts

Now. First  glue, any PVA will work well enough, but I prefer Titebond II or III.  I assume you are using veneered MDF then any normal finish system will work well but it will depend on the veneer species. If you are going to varnish plain MDF I would advise using MDF sealer (white) then regular paint , I usually use a small foam roller and get super results.  Varnished MDF is a bit dull for a living area. MDF is very dense and I suspect ideal for speaker cabs, I've made lots of draws tables desks etc. from MDF painted as discribed and they look great.

Ashley

Mo05/08/2008 17:20:00
22 forum posts

Thanks for the tips,

I am using plain MDF, no veneer so I try and grab some sealer and find some nice paint.

I will see what I can find in B&Q tonight. Its probably not the best place, but it will be open and I got a voucher from our work wimbledon sweepstakes .

Big Al05/08/2008 21:27:00
1598 forum posts
73 photos
I have used PVA, extramite and polyurethane glues with MDF with no sealer and all glues work well. If you use sealer it may not allow the glue to work as the glue wont penetrate the MDF, and is unlikely to bond. PVA is probably better than than most glues as it has a short open time and initial bonding happens quite quickly, although I usually apply the PVA to both parts to be glued together. Al
Mo05/08/2008 16:36:00
22 forum posts

Hi All,

I am just wondering if there is a particular type of glue that works best with MDF? I wasn't sure if normal wood glue (if there is such a thing) will do, or will the MDF just suck it up?

Just incase anyone was wondering, I am re-building the amp on my surround sound system (and seperaring the amp from the sub), as far as I am aware (have been told), MDF is a better material for  this.

Also, while I am asking this, what is the best finish to use that will give a nice glossy finish? Is varnish ok?

Mo

Olly Parry-Jones05/08/2008 16:43:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Not entirely sure about the finish but, as you suggest, MDF is very porous and will instantly soak up anything that it comes in to contact with. Therefore, it's probably a good idea to apply a sealer coat (or two) first - Rustins' do a superb water-based "MDF sealer". It should be cheaper than any other 'sanding sealer' and it will seal the MDF quite well.

PVA should fine but, again, you'll probably find the MDF will take a lot of it in, so it may be a case of lightly coating both surfaces. PVA is probably best because of its longer open time, although you can also buy five-minute PVA from Wudcare (search eBay or Axminster).

Ashley Slater05/08/2008 16:48:00
52 forum posts

Now. First  glue, any PVA will work well enough, but I prefer Titebond II or III.  I assume you are using veneered MDF then any normal finish system will work well but it will depend on the veneer species. If you are going to varnish plain MDF I would advise using MDF sealer (white) then regular paint , I usually use a small foam roller and get super results.  Varnished MDF is a bit dull for a living area. MDF is very dense and I suspect ideal for speaker cabs, I've made lots of draws tables desks etc. from MDF painted as discribed and they look great.

Ashley

Mo05/08/2008 17:20:00
22 forum posts

Thanks for the tips,

I am using plain MDF, no veneer so I try and grab some sealer and find some nice paint.

I will see what I can find in B&Q tonight. Its probably not the best place, but it will be open and I got a voucher from our work wimbledon sweepstakes .

Big Al05/08/2008 21:27:00
1598 forum posts
73 photos
I have used PVA, extramite and polyurethane glues with MDF with no sealer and all glues work well. If you use sealer it may not allow the glue to work as the glue wont penetrate the MDF, and is unlikely to bond. PVA is probably better than than most glues as it has a short open time and initial bonding happens quite quickly, although I usually apply the PVA to both parts to be glued together. Al
Jahnson Alberto05/04/2020 08:16:03
1 forum posts

Well I have useing Titebond II and this glue for mdf is working very well. But now a days many super glue is working fine.

Dave Lines12/04/2020 12:57:25
6 forum posts

Polyurethane glue works just fine as I know of.

Andrew Anten 101/05/2020 09:02:05
1 forum posts

Titebond II NM also good...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact