All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Sparky30/01/2010 20:57:37
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Derek
This is a very posh looking pen. Nicely turned as usual
What material did you use this time?

Just as a matter of interest, (don''t answer if you don''t want to).....how much does this cost to make?
Also, I know you''ve bought the innards but, if you wanted to sell it, what would you price it at?

Cheers
Marc
Derek Lane30/01/2010 22:48:28
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks Sparky just done this after having a break from the router table (unfortunately the ticker slowed me down a bit playing safe as I have already had 4 attacks)

The pen is a Baron from Australia which is about £4.70 + postage more if you go with an order over £18.00 as you get stung with tax.
The Blank is polyester resin and comes out at £2.80 + postage

I'm trying to work out a price to sell these for as there is the time and electricity to consider but you will be looking at a price in excess of £35
dennis wake30/01/2010 23:27:02
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Derek
    love the pen if you are trying to get a grip with the price of your pens look at this site for a good guide to price.>>hear<. have alook at the price of the snake pens.
dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 30/01/2010 23:28:26

Edited By dennis wake on 30/01/2010 23:33:40

Doug31/01/2010 09:51:32
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I really like the look of the pen Derek, well turned

You have a nak of picking some lovely acrylic blanks, another beaut .

Take it steady mate.

Best wishes

baz  
Sparky31/01/2010 14:23:31
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Derek

I think that's the trouble when pricing your own work. If we added every thing up it seems to be more than anyone would buy...........if you can make it in mass then the pricing is made a bit easier........

Good luck with it all anyway.

Marc 
Delete31/01/2010 15:23:43
575 forum posts
We did a similar exercise with bowls etc. Then we looked at what some were selling their work for. We decided if people want to give away their work let them do it but I am not going to make christmas presents for peopl I dont know.

I am happy to make things for free, for friends and Family, but not total strangers.

Yes I am a miserable Grumpy Old Man and I am proud of being so. It has taken me over 66 years to refine my grumpiness to this point. I dont wish to throw away all the hard work, now.
Sparky31/01/2010 15:43:06
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Roger

Isnt it about time you uploaded your avatar?

I cant believe your that grumpy

Marc
Derek Lane31/01/2010 19:22:20
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks for the comments all

Have looked at many sites that sell pens of this nature and the price I mentioned is about right

Baz

I have a blank like this but in pink just looking for the right pen for it

As for taking it easy I learnt to do that a little while back
Alan T.01/02/2010 19:37:09
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Derek, Sorry to hear you have not been well and hope you are now as fully recovered as possible. Your latest pen is a real beauty and well worth what you are asking for it,but as is often the case, persuading potential buyers of that is hard work. I have given up trying to sell anything I make anymore and just make the things I like to for people I know. The occasional comission comes my way but they are as rare as rocking horse droppings. A sign of the times I guess. Keep taking care.  Cheers  Alan T.   

Edited By Alan T. on 01/02/2010 19:37:32

George Arnold02/02/2010 12:43:04
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Pricing is the hardest part, how much an hour do you want? when I take my car to the local agents it cost £75 an hour!
It all depends on how quick you work, making one off is not the way to go, you have to work in batches , When you have priced how much you want to make the item , you have to concider how much it costs to sell? if you sell through a commercial outlet they will want a fifty percent discount to give them a hundred percent mark up ie your pen at £35 would end up at £70, or you would only get £17-50 to sell the pen @£35

There seems to be a strange attitude to hand crafted items, If a fellow goes to a tailor and has a suit made to measure , he will brag as to how much he has paid for the suit.
 But! if he asks a carpenter to make a custom made article, he will say " that old b****r charged me x y z to make this..

I am even older  than that other Grumpy Old Man and agree with him whole heartedly.

George
 Ps a very nice pen worth every penny George

Edited By George Arnold on 02/02/2010 12:44:04

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact