i was lucky enough to get a sheppach tiger sharpening system of santa
it has several jigs one of which is jig 55 to which you fit your gouging tools
can anybody explain how this works or better still suggest a site with
a video showing how
cheers sadsam
Delete27/01/2010 18:30:19
575 forum posts
Sam

You have a good tool in the Tiger. I went for that one as well.

It will also take the Jigs made by Tormek. some of which are patented so Schepech cant copy them. The best bet is to go to a show and watch the Tormek guy demonstrating the sharpening methods. They also do a video and a book but the important thing is to be able to repeat the angles and that is dependant on the distance of the tool stivking out on the Jig.
Have a look on Ebay you might find a copy of the Tormek book there.
THis probaly has not been a great help I could explain but it is easier to see how it is done.

Rog
sad sam28/01/2010 10:15:30
609 forum posts
251 photos
hi roger
thanks for the help but i have already got the sheppach jigs with the machine its jig 55 for the gouges i cant grasp how to use them to maintain a constant even bevel
thanks sadsam
Dave Atkinson28/01/2010 18:42:24
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Sam

I've got a tormek but having had a look at Jig 55 here www.t4i.com.au/W862
it seems that this is a jig for grinding a roughing gouge with a straight grind, I have a similar jig on my tormek.  

I set the edge of the gouge about 4 inches from the edge of the jig where it rests on the bar.  

Then I use a permanent marker to ink in the bevel on the gouge . 

Set the jig against the bar and gently rotate the stone by hand an inch of so and then have a look at the bevel.  

You will be able to see where the ink has been taken off.  

Adjust the distance of the bar from the stone until it takes off the ink across the bevel. 

Tighten everything up , turn on and just rotate the gouge and jig from side to side and you will get a perfect grind.

I also use the ink method for all my turning tools.

Hope this helps

Dave

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 28/01/2010 18:43:50

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 28/01/2010 18:44:37

Delete29/01/2010 18:23:37
575 forum posts
Once you have used the ink method as above you can make a jig to always get the tool to the same setting. The jig consists of a piece of wood lay the gouge flat on the wood with the jScheppech jig pushed up against the edge of the wood. then glue a strip of wood accross the first piece up against the edge of the gouge.

In future you will place the gouge on the wood up against the wooden stop you glued in place and slide the jig down untill it buts up to the wood clamp it up and thats it. Your tool is always set to the same position regardless of how short you grind it over the years.

Sam you say you have the Jig. OK but you will find there are lots of them and most of the Scheppach ones are fine but some of the Tormek ones are better and are patented so can not be copied. It is worth looking before buying. The machine is the most costly bit and you have the right one in my oppinion.

Rog
sad sam29/01/2010 19:19:53
609 forum posts
251 photos
hi dave and roger
thanks for the info will try it out tomorrow
Ged Meager30/01/2010 22:54:57
222 forum posts
Hi Sam if my poor half brain memory is correct Goodwood gave away a free dvd on sing Tormek jigs alittle while ago might be worth contacting them to see if they have any spare. I use this system al the time get repeatable grinds every time its dead simple when you know how!!! GED
Delete31/01/2010 15:37:51
575 forum posts
Tormek used to sell a book detailing all the techniques. I think they also did a DVD. You might find it on Ebay.
Delete31/01/2010 15:42:28
575 forum posts
Here is an Ebay listing number which might help

It details the DVD

Good luck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact