Natural edge Burr Elm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug03/08/2008 10:57:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Wowwww!!!!! Ralph

That is just beautiful!

Do you have any photos of the blank before you started?

Would it be possible to give us a brief run down on how you turn such a wonderful piece.

I`ve looked at burr blanks, but always thought where the hell would you start.

Very well done,

Baz

Ralph Harvey03/08/2008 17:38:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Baz

I always spend a lot of time before i turn anything like this trying to work out what i want to do, then go out in the shed and just turn it however it seems right, never be too ridgid you have to turn what seems right.

The basic method is apply it to the lathe with hot glue to turn the outside then reverse it on a scrap timber again with hot glue and turn the inside.

Sanding is often finished off the lathe and it was hand pollished with a coat of laquer to seal it and Briwax to finish.

The original timber was bought off ebay heres the pictures from there

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/7336/elm_burr_2_(Small).jpg

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/7336/elm_burr_1_(Small).jpg

Now i am looking for some more when i find it i will show hot it is done.

Ralph

Mark Sutton16/09/2008 19:49:00
193 forum posts
59 photos

Beautiful turning, and finish.

I love turning Burr Elm, never thought of using a glue though to attach to scrap wood

Ralph Harvey16/09/2008 19:57:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Mark

A Hot glue gun is one of the most under rated and most usefull tools a woodturner can have, it really is amazing

Ralph

Mark Sutton17/09/2008 19:47:00
193 forum posts
59 photos

Ralph

You are right about the hot glue gun, used it only a couple of times and have always been wary of the wood coming of the lathe

Must be a bit braver!!!!

Derek Lane17/09/2008 19:53:00
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
lovely piece Ralph every time i see other peoples work it gives me the urge to do better, how larger piece would you go up to using the hot glue gun
Ralph Harvey17/09/2008 21:27:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Derek 

I have turned a 16 inch cedar bowl on hot glue but it was at a slow speed and a lot of glue, normally i would go up to 12 - 14 inches if ballanced and 3/4 of that if out of balance like this one.

It is all a case of trial and error, work out what you are comfortable with... oh and if its hot weather the glue dosn't set as well

Once did a demo for the Martock and District Woodturners in there old tin hut, it was so nhot in there most of the little lattice blanks flew off, the glue just wouldn't set, luckilly enough they were only little 45mm diameter by 4mm thick blanks

Like i always say have fun

Ralph

Doug03/08/2008 10:57:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Wowwww!!!!! Ralph

That is just beautiful!

Do you have any photos of the blank before you started?

Would it be possible to give us a brief run down on how you turn such a wonderful piece.

I`ve looked at burr blanks, but always thought where the hell would you start.

Very well done,

Baz

Ralph Harvey03/08/2008 17:38:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Baz

I always spend a lot of time before i turn anything like this trying to work out what i want to do, then go out in the shed and just turn it however it seems right, never be too ridgid you have to turn what seems right.

The basic method is apply it to the lathe with hot glue to turn the outside then reverse it on a scrap timber again with hot glue and turn the inside.

Sanding is often finished off the lathe and it was hand pollished with a coat of laquer to seal it and Briwax to finish.

The original timber was bought off ebay heres the pictures from there

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/7336/elm_burr_2_(Small).jpg

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/7336/elm_burr_1_(Small).jpg

Now i am looking for some more when i find it i will show hot it is done.

Ralph

Mark Sutton16/09/2008 19:49:00
193 forum posts
59 photos

Beautiful turning, and finish.

I love turning Burr Elm, never thought of using a glue though to attach to scrap wood

Ralph Harvey16/09/2008 19:57:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Mark

A Hot glue gun is one of the most under rated and most usefull tools a woodturner can have, it really is amazing

Ralph

Mark Sutton17/09/2008 19:47:00
193 forum posts
59 photos

Ralph

You are right about the hot glue gun, used it only a couple of times and have always been wary of the wood coming of the lathe

Must be a bit braver!!!!

Derek Lane17/09/2008 19:53:00
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
lovely piece Ralph every time i see other peoples work it gives me the urge to do better, how larger piece would you go up to using the hot glue gun
Ralph Harvey17/09/2008 21:27:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Derek 

I have turned a 16 inch cedar bowl on hot glue but it was at a slow speed and a lot of glue, normally i would go up to 12 - 14 inches if ballanced and 3/4 of that if out of balance like this one.

It is all a case of trial and error, work out what you are comfortable with... oh and if its hot weather the glue dosn't set as well

Once did a demo for the Martock and District Woodturners in there old tin hut, it was so nhot in there most of the little lattice blanks flew off, the glue just wouldn't set, luckilly enough they were only little 45mm diameter by 4mm thick blanks

Like i always say have fun

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact