By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

walnut jewelly box construction progress

First ever project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Drew Marsh24/01/2010 09:34:23
52 forum posts
26 photos

this is my first ever project and thought I'd upload some pics for your thoughts and comments. I haven't actually glued the box yet as I have a lot more work to carry out on the router.

I have used 33mm thick x 200mm wide walnut and have had to hand saw it in halve for the box walls, The lid I want to leave thick so I can hollow out the inside and glue in a mirror. 

The whole box needs further planing which I have been doing with a hand plane( I am still getting to grips with). I haven't used dovetails as i wanted a clean/ plain finish. I do intend to fit drawers on the front and then dividers on the inside. Please view all my pictures found in my album.

Any constrtuct criticism is welcome.

Drew

Edited By Drew Marsh on 24/01/2010 10:02:19

Derek Lane24/01/2010 19:17:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I think I would have made a complete box and then cut the lid off. That way the grain will match all the way to the top. That is the way i made this box

Drew Marsh24/01/2010 20:39:30
52 forum posts
26 photos
Derek,

Yes I must say I fully agree and will incorporate the method in my next box,  Perhaps you could help me to understand how you,ve actually achieved your flawless lid, As looking closely at your picture, I am confussed to where the lid/ top piece seams???

Please pass on your wisdom!!!!

Many thanks

Drew
Derek Lane24/01/2010 21:32:15
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Will this picture help

Ralph Harvey26/01/2010 00:07:11
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Drew

I think for a first piece you have done quite well so far, the corners fit together well and the groove seems a nice fit to the scraps you are using, as for the lid i would agree with Derek it would be better to make the box as a whole and cut off the lid section.

Considering you cut down all the timber by hand it all looks quite good, remember some of the members have been doing this for a long time, look forward to the next instalments

Ralph 
Delete26/01/2010 01:22:43
575 forum posts
Drew
It all comes down to taste and style. Some like to make a box in one piece and then cut the lid off as previous posts. Others make a contrast of the grain and even the wood. Do what pleases you. Try things and experiment. Look at designs and allow the work of others to fertalise your creativity. Look at plans then change them to suite you.
Build your box your way and when it is finished some people will like it some may not. That does not matter, what matters is you have made it. For your first project I think you are doing very well.
In the future you might try building a box in one piece and then cutting off the lid. But you should only do it that way because you want to not because others have said so. That might in some circles be considered as cheating. In the one piece method the top must fit. Your way requires you to work carefully and far more acuratley. If yours fits well it will have taken a lot more skill.

Good luck and most important enjoy yourself.

Rog

Edited By Roger B on 26/01/2010 01:24:07

Edited By Roger B on 26/01/2010 01:25:13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact