By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

trend tradesmen sets

not really designed for the tradesman

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Marky mark20/01/2010 13:50:40
3 forum posts
Just reading the contents of the door hanging kit and I use none of the flat drill bit sizes that it contains.  A 25mm bit would be better than a 16mm or 19mm bit, as it is the correct size for drilling out latches.  So it makes me wonder if they are designed for the tradesman?  I would be interested to hear other peoples views.
Doug20/01/2010 17:31:36
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Mark & welcome to the forum.

I have to admit i give little heed to most accessory  sets supposedly aimed at the professional, by any manufacturer.

They all tend to include items that  do not get used, in this case, i`ve never used a flat bit whilst  fitting a door of any description. I also used to have a set of the drills that center the bit in the hinge screw hole, but found they clogged too easily & i spent more time removing waste from them, than i did using them.

Baz  
Big Al20/01/2010 17:45:44
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Me, No I wouldn't buy these accessory kits, for what they are they are expensive and not useful enough. Mark, you are right, a 25mm bit is better for drilling for a latch, you can sometimes get away with a 22mm bit, it depends on the latch. Latches sold by wickes are better suited to 25mm holes, whereas the latches sold by howdens are better suited to a 22mm hole.

Also, I prefer to use an auger bit, they cut better and you have got better control with them.

Al 
Oddjob20/01/2010 19:01:44
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Baz

I think you've got it weighed up!  I'm neither 'professional' nor 'tradesman' but I do feel that these are tags attached to tools by the manufacturers to try to persuade us amateurs that they are high quality durable tools even though the price indicates otherwise.

I think that you true 'professionals' are about as likely to buy these as you are to buy a Black & Decker drill!

Richard
Delete20/01/2010 19:02:17
575 forum posts
I am 100% in agreement except for the self centering bits. I lave had no groblems with them. Perhaps the wood I use is dryer and les cloggy. Flat bits are not as good as augers but over the years I have aquired some and I find it better to use a flat bit of the right size that I have rather than go out and buy an expensive drill whici I may not use again for a long time. So the flat bits do get the occasional use. I find a bradawl to make a small starter helps the centering and as soon as the spike bulges on the rear turn over and finish from the back avoiding breakout.

I have found flat bits very good where I have wanted to drill a curved hole to pass wires through in particular Coax which does not like being kinked.

Hell I am starting to sound like Norm. I suppose it could be worse I would never wish to sound like the loud mouther people in a particular Garage.

Rog
Joe O 320/01/2010 22:55:37
203 forum posts
Hi All,
While i wouldn't be a fan of these type of set.
I would tentatively offer an explanation as to the choice of sizes.
The
16mm  for fitting 2 & 3  leaver Sash/Mortice locks
19mm for would be for fitting some 3 and nearly all 5 leaver Sash/
mortice locks and most Deadlocks, 
I personally prefer auger bits myself
Joe.
Doug20/01/2010 23:28:51
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Think you`ve hit the nail on the head there Joe, 

Just thinking of my auger bits,   though imperial, they would be those approximate sizes.

Baz  
dennis wake21/01/2010 00:11:45
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi all
  i do understand what has been sayed hear . Joe you are right the set is more set to fit the items that you have sayed but how often have you hade to chisle the latch out on a interia door decouse the drill 's you have are ether to big or a tad to small. lets fase it you will be fitting more interia doors than exteria doors.
dennis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact