By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

issue 223

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
George Arnold18/01/2010 16:07:09
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Hi has every one got the new issue of Good Woodworking, has anybody tried out the new Bosch jigsaw blade yet, ? did you notice the sale of the magazine is restricted to WH Smiths and you have to be over eighteen to purchase it
, well at least the jig saw blade ,does the same restrictions apply  buying off the shelve in B&Q and the likes.

Hope you are all over the snow and all the Advent winners have received their prize?.

George
Ron Davis18/01/2010 16:10:13
1619 forum posts
201 photos
I have one George, for some reason a jig saw is my least favourite tool. I thought mine was faulty when I spotted an irregularity in the teeth, turns out it was meant to be like that, What do I know?

Ron
Sparky18/01/2010 16:35:42
7631 forum posts
22 photos
George

I think your find there are a lot of the only 'over eighteen' in the tool and paint/spirit departments at B&Q and some other shops too.

Blades of all sorts are the main risk, there trying to stomp out the youth knifing & slicing gangs and the snorting of spirits..........it doesn't work all that well though, the kids just go the their dads tool boxes and get them from there!

Marc 
Delete18/01/2010 18:09:32
575 forum posts
Marc

They dont even have to go to Dads tool box Mums kitchen Drawer has very nice potential Offensive Weapons. Another Forum I am on has been having a discussion on knives / offensive weapons. following Mylene Klass waving a kitchen knife at some Scroat attemptint to break into her garden shed. Because it was on private property the knife is not an offensive weapon and if she picked it up in fear of her safety any reasonable use was self defence. Nice one I will remember that when chasing next doors ginger Tom!!
In 1995 or 6 there was a knives amnesty and people could put their unwanted knives in a bin in the local Police Station. I said at the time it was a waste of time I didnt believe it would save one life and I bont believe it has. As per always these measures only preach to the Law Abiding.
The only way to stop peopple carring knives is to give them a damned good thrashing ( the Birch) if they are found with knives without good reason, e.g. a chef on the way to or from work.

ROg
George Arnold19/01/2010 19:41:40
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Hi Guys

It was not my intention to go down the knife theme, all I wanted to know was if you had all got the latest copy? what did you think of the blade in the context of  wood working.?
 What did you think of this months issue?
 And I was enquiring if those of you who won an advent prize  and had receive them yet?

George.

Doug19/01/2010 19:50:33
3415 forum posts
35 photos
What`s the article on doors like George?

I`ve some doors to make & was wondering if it was worth getting.

Baz  
George Arnold19/01/2010 20:10:07
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Baz
 I thought you where a subscriber? the article is on a pair of french doors  complete with double glazing, It looks quite a good article and with your experience it should be no trouble, You are over eighteen

George,

Ps There is a good article on chucks byRichard Raffan, plus some turning., and a review on hard point saws that may be of interest to you

George 
Doug19/01/2010 20:35:02
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Thanks George.

I subscribe to The Woodworker.

I`d heard there was an article on doors, but wasn`t sure which sort. I`m making sliding internal glass paneled doors, a bit of a diversion from my norm, but as they say variety is the spice of life.

I like Richard Raffan & have a couple of his books, so i might brave the impending snow & journey down to Smiths.

Best wishes.

Baz  
Sparky19/01/2010 21:45:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
George

You did ask about buying things under the age of 18 hence the feedback  mate

"did you notice the sale of the magazine is restricted to WH Smiths and you have to be over eighteen to purchase it
, well at least the jig saw blade ,does the same restrictions apply  buying off the shelve in B&Q and the likes."

?

Marc
robert dignam20/01/2010 08:44:58
194 forum posts
134 photos
hi george we are expecting more snow today down in the south east as regards to the advent calender prize i have not been notified of being a winner or recieved any prize as yet, although my name was on the winners list i will let you know as soon as i hear anything          robert
Ron Davis20/01/2010 19:43:35
1619 forum posts
201 photos
I looked for my blade tonight, senior management has put it out with the recycling! Luckily they come tomorrow, so I spent some time with a torch at the end of the drive looking for it in the bin

Ron
George Arnold20/01/2010 19:54:19
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
 Glad you located it. reminds of the tale. postman delivering parcel, no one in ,so he left a note and put in the wheely bin, it was collection day! At least you had the gift/prize in your hand thats more than some , see Roberts post

How did the A G M go?

George
Ron Davis20/01/2010 20:05:07
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi George, the AGM went well, we had Brian Partridge from AWGB to give us some support, I have today sent off to the AWGB to become members.

All going ok,we have settled down to a regular group. We still have the problem facing every club, what do you do for an interesting programme?

We have a rep from a local tool suppliers next month and a demo in March

Ron
Doug22/01/2010 08:47:51
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Ron, the club i attend lets the local sawmill chap have a bench from which to sell timber, he gives a club discount.

We also have a local professional turner, who sells finishes, abrasives etc on the evening, for  which in return he gives occasional demonstrations.

Both these things keep running costs down whilst attracting us turners.

Baz  
Ron Davis22/01/2010 17:41:01
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks BAz, I am trying to find someone in that category

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact