By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

UPS Virus

Warning to those not already aware

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oddjob18/01/2010 13:26:37
1635 forum posts
79 photos
My old BTinternet email address, unused by me for about two years, has received an email purporting to be from UPS Tracking.  It told me that there was a parcel that couldn't be delivered to me due to a wrong adddress and that I should open and print the attachment to take to the local office.  Knowing that I have no delivery outstanding I was highly suspicious so did not open the attachment and deleted the email.  I Googled 'UPS tracking' and found that the attachment did indeed carry a very nasty virus - no surprise there then!

Apparently this scam/virus has been around for some time but as I hadn't previously coma accross it I thought that some members here might also be unaware.  Forwarned is for-armed!  Don't let it catch you.

Richard
Joe O 318/01/2010 14:30:06
203 forum posts
Thank you for the warning Richard.

Joe.
George Arnold18/01/2010 15:44:38
1834 forum posts
191 photos
 Richard Thanks for that warning, it makes you wonder why people have to create the problems.in the first place.

George
Sparky18/01/2010 16:02:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Thanks for the heads up Richard.

Did you report it to BT?

They can trace the email

Marc
Ron Davis18/01/2010 16:16:10
1614 forum posts
201 photos
When I get a dodgy email, usually asking me to update my bank details with a bank I do no use, I forward it to the bank, just google the name of the bank and use their website and there is an email address somewhere usually named spoofemail or similar. Forward the email to that address and delete it and runa full virus scan,

ON PAIN OF AN EMPTY BANK ACCOUNT, DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHEMENTS OR CLICK ON ANY LINKS.

Sorry to shout

Ron
Sparky18/01/2010 16:53:51
7631 forum posts
22 photos
No bank will ask for account numbers, addresses or passwords through an email.
If you ever get one asking, do as Ron mentioned, DELETE WITHOUT OPENING!!

One piece of software can aid this problem, its called Mailwasher made by  Firetrust, website  >> Found here << , You can open the email at your server and check before it even gets to your computer.

I've used it for years and only had 2 viral emails. ( was my fault due to not using it first, just opened up Outlook express! ).

They are doing a free 30 day fully working trial if you want to try it out.

Marc

(No, not working for company )

Edited By sparky on 18/01/2010 16:55:20

Delete18/01/2010 17:51:51
575 forum posts
I keep on geting these emails. I just delete them It cant be from my bank as I dont have one. 18 months ago I went Bust so gave up any Bank account. Although very tempted I have resisted to give them my old credit card details. Halifax and BOS caused me a lot of anguish on top of my own stupidity I just feel it would be nice to get a little of my own back on them . No I must not think like that naughty naughty.
On antivirus I use Avast its free for home use and appears very good. It has picked up a couple of potential atacks with no damadge.

Regards

Rog
Andy King19/01/2010 12:19:25
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Ah if only this thread was up a week earlier!
My work laptop has been at the repair place so i've had to access via a web server for email etc on my home PC.
Included amongst them was the UPS one, and I get a lot of stuff sent to me, including deleiveries by them. Normally a card is left if i'm not around, but I have had an email occasionally to say there's import duty to pay etc, so I opened it...
Completely spannered my home PC in a matter of seconds!
I actually ran my virus checker before i opened it (I use the AVGFree one and its usually brilliant) but this time it said it was safe.
It then picked it up as a threat as soon as I opened it with all sorts of problems as it was writing itself to the registry etc.
Running a scan immedietly, AVG picked up the problems, quarantined and deleted them and I hoped dealt with them, but on reboot, it all kicked off again, so I was back to square one.
Luckily I managed to salvage a lot of the stuff I had been working on for the mag as I had backed it up to a memory stick a day or so before, but I did lose some stuff so I've had to do it all again, which is frustrating to say the least!
Not being the most computer literate when it comes to viruses and dealing with them, rather than try and get it sorted with a virus checker, I gave up, and reformatted the drive and did a fresh install.
I'm VERY careful now as to what I open!
 A week later, all seems good, and a bonus, just checked my bank account to see if they managed to gain access and it looks like they felt sorry for me and saw I had no money and put 500 quid in!
If only!!!

cheers,
Andy
Sparky19/01/2010 15:34:22
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Andy, you can count yourself very lucky then, not having your bank touched......sadly most of your information on your computer is on someone else's and they have the pleasure of reading everything.

Perhaps I'm over cautious and have2 running spy sweepers and one to run when I want, 2 firewalls, 2 anti virus, 1 identity theft protection and a privacy manager.

Its OK having all of this but it does slow down the computer.
All I can say is to make sure you have all the updated software, don't have it for every week but, every day as these viruses are out every day.

AVG has the free version number 9 now >> here is a link <<  if you havent got it already.

It pays to back up your most important files to disc or another hard drive (or both) and update them reguraly.

All fun at the fair!!

Marc
Oddjob19/01/2010 16:42:48
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Marc says:

......sadly most of your information on your computer is on someone else's and they have the pleasure of reading everything

You're a little confused there Marc.  Having 'caught' a virus does not mean that your information has been downloaded nor even read by someone else.  A virus is a piece of malicious software that interferes with your own software and disrupts your computer files and operating system.  It is hackers that steal your bank and other details.  Anti-virus does not stop hackers but firewalls and other defences may stop them.

I feel sure that Andy's confidential data is quite safe - from his recent virus attack anyway.

Richard
Sparky19/01/2010 17:18:39
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Richard

The UPS virus and others deliver a dialer/fraud virus and that is what downloads all of your files before you know it.

Yes your right, many viruses are chaotic viruses which makes control of your computer very difficult and many rewrite the software rendering it useless.

Lets hope your right

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact