By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router table top

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane13/01/2010 15:43:37
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
As you may have seen from a previous post I am making a router table. I am planning to use two pieces of ply 11/16" thick laminated together. The largest area unsupported is 14" x 15" Would I get away with just 1 thickness

Your thoughts everyone
Sparky13/01/2010 16:48:58
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Derek

I'm not to sure about wood stresses but ply is very strong, (well, the wood you have would be due to old dance floor.)

Are you having a metal channel for the mitre fence or routered out?
If routered out I would perhaps add another piece of ply as the channel is usually about 10mm (roughly 3/8ths") deep.

Mind you........you still have the frame work beneath for strength anyway..........go with it I think!

Hopefully some else will give more help.

Marc
Olly Parry-Jones13/01/2010 17:18:39
2776 forum posts
636 photos
11/16"... Is that somewhere between 15-16mm???

I personally think that, the thicker you can make the top, the better. Fifteen-inches isn't much to worry about, as far as supporting the router is concerned (it's not MDF, after all). Though, as Mark suggests, you would really need it to be a bit thicker if you're planning to fit an aluminium track - otherwise, the screws won't really have enough to bite in to.
Derek Lane13/01/2010 19:57:25
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks guys

Double thickness it is forgot about the track  (Stupid boy Pike)
Sparky13/01/2010 20:21:17
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Derek

I wouldn't worry about forgetting the track, I forgot about the placement of the router plug when I finished my table! 

I wondered why the NVR switch didn't work 

Look forward to seeing the end result.....which shouldn't be to long now.

Marc
Derek Lane13/01/2010 20:41:28
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I also went to take some photo's of it glued together and found the batteries flat in the camera.

Never mind will cut the top to size tomorrow and get it glued together (hopefully)
Sparky13/01/2010 20:43:17
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Your do fine Derek

Marc
Delete16/01/2010 20:38:43
575 forum posts
The Router table I built some years ago had a top 25 mm thick. I used 2 thicknesses of Melamine chipboard. I used a hand electris planer to remove the Melamine from one side of each sheet then glued the bare surfaces together. The top was edged with Oak.
The Mitre track came from the USA and was routed in to the top. I also built and fitted a fence.
The design I used was the New Yankee Workshop design, It was their first design since then they produced a De Lux version with some improvements.  Derek's design looks similar but not as tall.
I have found the Melamine surface to give a very good surface for the work to glide on.
Derek Lane17/01/2010 00:08:09
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Thanks all

Roger
Yes it is based on the NYW design the top is now sorted double thickness
Delete18/01/2010 18:23:45
575 forum posts
I am certain you will not be disapointed. One of the best things I have built for the Shop. It does not get used an awefull lot but most usefull when it is used.

I intend to split the base Drawer on mine and make it in to two drawers. I also cot the plinth off mine and fitted four locking 100mm wheels. Made from Birch ply it is so heavy.

Rog
Derek Lane18/01/2010 18:56:21
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Spent the day cutting the top out for the insert. Should have the top fitted to the main unit tomorrow.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact