By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Get Woodworking Live! Who will be there....?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clare Hiscock08/01/2010 09:44:34
69 forum posts
10 photos
Hi All, 

Get Woodworking Live 2010 is rapidly  approaching, we have the following exhibitors confirmed.....and many exciting demonstrators, look forward to seeing you there  

Edited By Patrick Astill on 19/09/2013 15:58:46

Clare Hiscock08/01/2010 09:46:45
69 forum posts
10 photos
Also don't forget our exciting competitions and fantastic demonstrators please see www.getwoodworkinglive.co.uk  for our full list of attractions! 

Tickets are on sale now  

Edited By sparky on 08/01/2010 10:36:34

Sparky08/01/2010 10:38:15
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Morning Clare

Thanks for the update.
This will be a great show..........I'm now thinking of bringing my tent and spend two days at the palace!

Marc
Oddjob08/01/2010 13:18:56
1635 forum posts
79 photos
How I would love to be there but the cost of attending exhibitions in London is horrendous.

I look forward to the event being held at the NEC - the home of all good exhibitions.

Richard
Ron Davis08/01/2010 16:42:07
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Sparky, will you be leaving your contact details at the members contact point?Be good to meet you if only for a few minutes

Ron
Sparky08/01/2010 16:46:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ron
To be honest mate, I'm still not sure if I'll be going yet.......like others, funds ain't what they used to be.

I would like to see everyone and everything going on there though so you never know

Marc
Clare Hiscock25/01/2010 12:50:07
69 forum posts
10 photos
Not long to go now.....!

New traders added in the last week include

T & J Tools,

Rustins,

Woodturning Cruises with Odd Erik

Meantime Design

Plus more to be announced!

We are also excited to present Institute of Carpenters and North London Woodturners to the event.

Hope to see you there....

Clare  

Doug25/01/2010 18:50:13
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Come on Clare, you can`t add Woodturning cruises with Odd Erik, without some explanation??

Or do we just have to attend to find out??

Baz  
Sparky25/01/2010 20:52:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Baz

I think she means this..........
Odd Erik and the MS Gann

The woodturning cruise organised by Odd Erik of Verktoy AS in Norway is known around the world. Indeed, take a look at the list of the attendees for last August's trip and you will see a mix of many different nationalities to reinforce this fact. The reason for this is that it is unique in the world, essentially being a seminar on water. Not only are there turning demonstrators catering for many tastes and styles, there are representatives of several different manufacturers showing the latest tools and equipment and how to use them.

There are also carving and sharpening demonstrators too, as well as the promise of fantastic scenery.

turning on water

the unique blend of different aspects of the cruise certainly intrigued me, and having read about and published reports on the previous events, i was stunned when i was asked if i wanted to demonstrate on the cruise last august. i was immediately excited but also a touch apprehensive. after all, it was going to consist of 11 days at sea. would the rocking of the ship enable me to create a new texturing technique? however, i need not have worried. the ms gann was the largest ship odd erik had ever used for the cruise and - bar one sole night of slightly rough seas - was very stable on the water.

There was an amazing amount to do on board. The demonstrations and training were of a very high standard. Of particular interest to guests was the ability to use the lathes on board, allowing novices to experience turning for the first time. Two people undertook the tuition, and guests simply paid for the wood and turned what they liked using the tools supplied, all of which took place on a lower deck also housing the shopping area. There were demonstrations whilst cruising from destination to destination, and the lathes for practising on were accessible from six in the morning to 12 at night.

ports of call

when the ship docked at any one of the 12 ports en route, the demonstrations really got going, with people from the area coming on board to see some turning up close. this created a fantastic atmosphere, much like a small-scale woodworking show. the eight turning demonstrators worked in rotation, so we all got the opportunity to go ashore and have a look at the surrounding area. there were excursions available as optional extras, allowing us to take in the breathtaking scenery and local life. these proved very popular and needed to be booked in advance to guarantee places. some of us discovered that the fishing was particularly good, with cod and pollock aplenty!

The destinations meant that we were able to see older, historical sites as well as vibrant new cities both in and around the Arctic Circle.

I think everyone got involved in the scenery aspect of the trip. The decks were always packed with people looking around as we passed mountains, little villages, isolated houses and fjords. I snapped over 200 images during my time on and off the ship and I know that many people took more than one memory card for their cameras.

lifestyle

the food onboard was also superb. breakfast was presented as a buffet-style affair, as was lunch. i will admit to eating more than my fair share of the salmon on offer nearly every day, and the evening meals offered a selection of both hot and cold food. special dietary requirements were catered for when registered in advance, and a few impromptu requests too. some even said there was too much food on offer!

I admit to having quite a hankering to go and live in some of the places I saw. Ideally, I would like to go back in the heart of winter. As for the Norwegian people, it was a delight meeting and sharing experiences with them and all the other people on the cruise.

It is very difficult to describe the experience. Stunning, exciting, and fun do not seem to sum up the cruise adequately. All the people I spoke to enjoyed the experience and were immensely glad they came. It is in my opinion one of the top 10 turning experiences available, and I heartily recommend it. The next cruise is scheduled for 2011.

(Taken from the woodworkers institutes (>> Link here <<)

Edited By sparky on 25/01/2010 20:55:31

Ron Davis25/01/2010 20:58:21
1618 forum posts
201 photos
Congratulations Sparky, seems you fame spreads beyond the Forum

It does seem strange that for such an important event, there were no reports in either the Woodworker or GW

Got any pix?

Ron
Sparky25/01/2010 21:07:12
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Erm Ron, Not with you mate?!?

That last post was taken from the Woodworkers indstitute which gives a great amount of detail of what goes on on the cruises.

Marc
Doug25/01/2010 22:22:59
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Blimey Marc,

I know what will be top of my Xmas list this time.

Thanks for explaining.

Baz  
Sparky25/01/2010 22:26:01
7631 forum posts
22 photos
No problems mate and I'm in total agreement..........I'll be dropping the hints very soon, gives them time to save up!!

Marc
Doug25/01/2010 22:38:25
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I`ve just been to check, & i`ve still got me water wings, so "COME ON SANTA"

Baz  
Ralph Harvey25/01/2010 23:40:45
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

That all sounds pretty good, bet it costs a few quid though ? mind  you it is probably worth every penny

On another note with the show in mind, i will probably get up there on the last day, is anyone going up first or second day passing anyway near Wiltshire, only i wondered if anyone could deliver my bits to the competition for me, ? save me having to go to London twice or trusting the postal service.

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact