By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Anyone else snowed in?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis08/01/2010 20:02:03
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Yes George, I have a Bosch, (two quid at a boot sale) I have yet to try the balde, I thought there was something wrong with mine until I took a closer look and realised that teeth change half way along the blade. I suppose that if someone went to all that trouble I had better try it out.

I have two chucks one I never use and an Axminster clubman with three set of jaws, If I  could turn a well as Richard Raffan I would be able to afford more,

Tommy, make it up with your wife, I would hate to see a workshop go up in flames

Ron
Tommy mc glynn 108/01/2010 20:50:12
291 forum posts
1 photos
i should have knowing she was up to some thing there was no word out of her. George
Toothy13/01/2010 20:15:26
458 forum posts
67 photos
Hi Guys 'n' Gals

You are all snowed in and I am baking. The shade temp in the courtyard was 39 C at lunch time today.

Please send some of that coolness down my way.

Toothy
Ron Davis13/01/2010 20:19:35
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Toothy, you can have my share for free

Ron
George Arnold13/01/2010 20:27:59
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Toothy
 If you can come up with a way of transporting it you will make a ffortune, we will supply the basic  material for free, perhaps global warming will bring it to you, if you wait..

George 
Sparky13/01/2010 20:47:12
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I'd rather have the snow thanks Toothy..........I can always warm up with Mrs S but never cool down with her

Marc
George Arnold14/01/2010 19:13:27
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sparky
 I bet you can chill out with a glass of your favourite tipple what ever the weather throws at you,

George
Ron Davis14/01/2010 19:34:54
1619 forum posts
201 photos
There is a thaw coming, the forecast is for a balmy 4C tomorrow, I must ask Toothy what he recommends to drink in hot weather

Ron
Sparky14/01/2010 20:51:24
7631 forum posts
22 photos
George

I'm tea total mate

Ron

I'll get me swim suit out ready! 

Marc
Doug14/01/2010 23:01:51
3415 forum posts
35 photos
The next thing will be floods that the councils aren`t prepared for, who`d have thought snow would turn into water!!!

Funny ever since i was a kid, it`s got cold at winter & the roads have needed gritting, funny how these days it seems to catch so many councils out.

Must be me.

Sparky15/01/2010 00:17:18
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Millibands words on 'This Morning'...

"We learnt a lot from last February's ice & snow and we put what we learnt into practise for this winter"

Says everything doesn't it Baz.

Sadly the only way to stop the flooding is to dredge all the rivers........yes this will upset a lot of fisher persons and will take a few years to get back to normal but, the rivers have had sediment laying for thousands of years and its still getting shallower.........

Dredge or flood and pay millions out in damages every year from now on.........which could it be??

Marc
Delete15/01/2010 01:05:52
575 forum posts
Baz

Of course its you expecting officials to use common sense and prepare for Snow in winter is totally unreasonable You realy should know better.

Rog
George Arnold15/01/2010 11:02:26
1834 forum posts
191 photos
What snow, there is no snow in sight this morning, we back onto fields and you can't see any snow, yes we can criticise the councils but you have to ask how many of us where prepared for the snow, did we fit snow tyres to our cars? what sort of emergency gear did we put in our cars, are we prepared to pay enough money to finance enough gear to be in place  every year to combat the type of winter we have had this year, and see it stand idle for 49 weeks of the year, don't forget it is our money that has to pay for it all , We know Canada  is prepared to combat the snow problem , but they get heavy snow every year, .

Flooding is a different problem , if you keep building on the flood plains where is the water to go, I agree with Sparky dredge out the rivers ,then make use of the water  to generate electricity , look in the past how many water mills where supported on one river, we had 4 on the stretch of river through our village there could be 4 turbines running at these sites, if we are prepared to pay . it's not cheap, like all things going green. 

George 
Doug15/01/2010 14:25:15
3415 forum posts
35 photos
George, whilst not completely disagreeing with you, my post was more about gritting the roads.

I don`t think there has been a winter when at least a few nights haven`t  been cold enough for black ice to form, so giving rise to the roads needing gritting.

For the councils to wait until the last minute to order salt is ridiculous, & even those with it have only a few days supply . It`s not like the stuff goes off & i can`t see why the councils shouldn`t have a good supply.

The snow i agree is a different matter, but even then the local farmer by us brought his tractor round & cleared the snow. So i don`t really think, if someone put their minds to it, that it wouldn`t be impossible to come up with a few simple solutions. For one thing farmers have the necessary equipment to clear snow & aren`t exactly at their busiest mid winter.

As with so many things we seem to stumble from one problem to another, with no forward planning by those in charge.  It may cost money, but we do pay enough council tax, if only it was spent in on the important things that affect the majority.

Baz  
George Arnold15/01/2010 17:07:51
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Baz
 Our local council use to have farmers on standby to push a snow plough about, they don't seem to have that now, I was talking to one of our local councillors and they have been discussing having the gritting gear in the village for the local village roads instead of relying on the county to grit the roads which would make sense.
 I can recall when the gritting machine was two blokes with shovels throwing sand of the back of a lorry, not the complicated piece of equipment it is today, then they towed a fertilizer spreader behind the lorry , which would still do the job on side  roads today, I can understand the need for the spreaders they use on the main roads with the miles of roads they have to cover..
 I don't know the shelf life of the salt/grit but it has to be stored under cover, perhaps someone can enlighten us. there use to be sand boxxes at some of the junctions but they seem to have disappeared.

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact