By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Anyone else snowed in?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oddjob06/01/2010 13:53:47
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I'm pleased to hear that you guys in the South are getting more snow than we are - makes a change doesn't it!  A couple of inches here last night - no problems getting about this morning - except for the the last few metres getting back into the garage!!!!

Sorry to hear about your virus Marc - I've heard that Night Nurse can help ease the symptoms.

Seriously though - was the virus in attachment to an email? Did it get past your anti-virus software?  If so, can you tell us which anti-virus software you use?  Can you tell us the virus'  name so that the rest of us can take appropriate precautions?

Good luck with the clean up.

Richard 
Derek Lane06/01/2010 14:40:01
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I still can't see what all the fuss is about.

This taken today about 10 minutes ago

And No this is not a main road

Sparky

Hope you are sorted soon

Edited By Derek Lane on 06/01/2010 14:40:44

dennis wake06/01/2010 14:47:35
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
its the only time i am happy with the north south devide. we have had fluryes and short bursts of ot to day but not much.
dennis( in hartlepool)
Sparky06/01/2010 16:19:59
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Oddjob on 06/01/2010 13:53:47:
I'm pleased to hear that you guys in the South are getting more snow than we are - makes a change doesn't it!  A couple of inches here last night - no problems getting about this morning - except for the the last few metres getting back into the garage!!!!

Sorry to hear about your virus Marc - I've heard that Night Nurse can help ease the symptoms.

Seriously though - was the virus in attachment to an email? Did it get past your anti-virus software?  If so, can you tell us which anti-virus software you use?  Can you tell us the virus'  name so that the rest of us can take appropriate precautions?

Good luck with the clean up.

Richard 

Hi Richard

Thanks mate.
I tried the night nurse but she slapped me around the face!

Virus came with (unattached) an email wishing me a happy new year

I have an email washer which (just my luck) was turned off due to updating some 'software'........as soon as it, (and the other 30 odd emails) was in the list to read it let hell out. It wasn't even being read at the time!..........

I know it was one that my  anti-virus software programme hasn't found........well it knows about it now!!!

The virus started downloading my stuff and blocking any controls to stop it......once I realised what was happening, it had already taken over the computer..........from that the only thing I could do was to shut it down..........tried restarting it in safe mode to find my anti virus to run a scan it..........I couldn't even open any files.....had to format and reinstall it all again for safety sake...........luckily, I have 5 hard drives with the software stored and it was only the main 'C' drive that it hit..........2 partitions & 600MB lost though

...........have had to reinstall Windows as well as 'LOADS' of software.........taken 2 1/2 days so far and still haven't finished ..........but, getting there!

Old anti virus.......
AVG free

New anti virus software is as follows...........

AVG free
Uniblue
Netguard total
PCguard total (Virgin)
Webroot

and 2 anti spyware!

Lets hope this works

Cheers
Marc
Ralph Harvey06/01/2010 17:07:39
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

Sorry to hear that about the virus, my youngest son downloaded a game onto the better halfs laptop and also got something calling its self a 2010 virus allert it attacks your computer hard drive deleating the parts you need to remove it first !

The virus scan and the firewall didnt recognise it as a problem because it loads up as an update option for a virus software ? or thats roughly how it was explained by my eldest son who after 2 1/2 days of messing around has finally got rid of it and her lap top is now working again.

Needless to say my younger son didnt get hold of my lap top to play on in the meen time

Ralph
George Arnold06/01/2010 17:13:40
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sparky
 That all sound nasty to me, hope you soon get it sorted, I thought as we had not heard from you lately, you where beavering away in the workshop with another master piece!

We had about an inch of snow last night, it has been thawing all day, but has started to freeze now, We had a light fall of snow this afternoon .main roads are clear , side roads  a bit dodgy,

George
Sam06/01/2010 17:31:57
386 forum posts
110 photos
We have had enough for this at jst under 12 foot .

dennis wake06/01/2010 17:44:13
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi all
as for anty virus i use microsoft security essentiales it  is a free down load hilighted from money maters artical in local paper. it runs ok up till now.
dennis  
George Arnold06/01/2010 17:49:58
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Sam

Nice one
,I should think it's the tallest! unless anyone knows better

George
Sparky06/01/2010 18:25:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ralph
Cheers mate.
Now you mention it, I did see some words fly up and roughly saying, Internet security 2010. It was the first time seeing it and the first I looked for once I got my computer up and running again........and deleted!!

George
 Thanks mate.
I did have a walk to the shed, went in, saw the temperature and walked back indoors again......... -5 degrees and that was 2pm!! 

Sam
Glad you didn't give it any gender!

Dennis
I've heard of that, might have a browse

Olly Parry-Jones06/01/2010 19:37:17
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I made a mistake earlier... When I took my dog out for a walk this morning (she looked at me twice when I opened the door!! ), I realised that we had a good 3in. (not two!) of snow on the drive and local pavements while the surrounding fields were covered in 4in. - even better than February last year! My little dog (jack russell/border terrier-cross) was struggling though, literally jumping her way through the snow as her legs were too short. She was quite literally up to her neck in it!

They've now forecast that the snow is heading away and may return towards the end of the weekend... I don't expect the snow that's left to clear in a hurry so, it looks like I'll be missing college tomorrow.
Sparky06/01/2010 19:41:32
7631 forum posts
22 photos
More dog walking then Olly
Julian06/01/2010 19:58:43
556 forum posts
28 photos
Mark,
Sorry to hear about your virus problem but sounds like you had backups. If you look on the bright side it does a PC good sometimes to reload everything, gives the thing a clean base to work from and speeds it up a bit.

Snows a bit dodgy here in the west about 12" so far.

still it look pretty

Derek Lane06/01/2010 20:08:01
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
OOPS

I think I spoke to soon all the roads are now covered and road a little slippy. Oh well will have to see how deep it is in the morning
Olly Parry-Jones06/01/2010 20:33:51
2776 forum posts
636 photos
I think a better title for this thread (or now, a new one) may have been 'Who's Going to Work Today?'...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact