Question! what else?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
arryB04/01/2010 19:41:29
38 forum posts
6 photos
Hi everybody

A big   HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

Who amongst us has the info on the JSP ip PowerCap?  or! equivalents/alternative.

Or - is there a better way to get protected from - 'the muck'   ?

arryB
Delete04/01/2010 22:57:56
575 forum posts
I cant speak about this particular device. However I use one made by Martindale. The secret of a good unit I believe is it of course must filter the air to be breathed. It should also blow it over the visor to help stop condensation on the visor.  I should also have a fabric seal to keep the dust from entering the sides of the unit.
It is also preferable for the power supply (batteries) Filter and Blower unit to be on a belt. This keeps the weight of the head and thus does not become tireing to wear for a long period.
Having said all this the choice is yours.
sad sam05/01/2010 12:22:11
609 forum posts
251 photos
hi arry b
i have a trend power dust  air shield it is abit pricey i paid around £175 for it they are sold by any good stockist
i have found it an excellant dust repellant especially when turning and it keeps my glasses clear
it holds acharge well i get about 8hrs on one charge and have not used it for several days and found it still ok
hope this helps 
sadsam
Alan T.06/01/2010 16:26:20
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Arry,
                     Like Sam I have a Trend Airshield and find it ideal for wood turning particularly sanding, and not too heavy.It's also good in hot conditions as it supplies clean fresh air to the face from above.
I'm not too sure about the size of particles it allows through, and if this important to you please check with the latest spec . It lasts all day on the 2 batteries but the charger only holds one at a time which is sometimes inconvenient. I've had it several years now and it has served me well in that time. Hope that helps. Alan T.
Sparky06/01/2010 18:41:27
7631 forum posts
22 photos
ArryB

Here is a link to their web site's cap page >> JSP Power cap <<

Hope this helps.

Marc
Doug06/01/2010 18:56:58
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Arry.

As Sparky`s picture shows there is day light between the mask & the chaps face, so much so that you can see his ear on the left of the photo. This isn`t a good fitting mask.

I was told when looking for a mask that a good one will have a BS number on the parts deemed nessecary to provide proper protection. One of these parts was the seal that goes against the face.
I believe Trend do have these BS numbers & so have been certified to a standard. Please don`t take my word for it though, i recommend you ask questions of any mask you intend to buy, to verify there suitability to give adequate protection.

Baz  

Sparky06/01/2010 19:03:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Baz & Arry
There's also the thought of wearing glasses. I don't know if you do Arry but, as Baz mentioned, there is too much space to have a good fit going by this image.

Marc
Ron Davis06/01/2010 19:15:24
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Marc, have you finally brought your light from under a bushel, you never let on you moonlighted as a model

Ron
Sparky06/01/2010 19:37:50
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Mike Jordan06/01/2010 19:51:33
166 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Arryb
I understand that these were originaly designed for use by pigeon fanciers to protect them from bird born illness of various sorts. I did have a look at  one some time ago but wasn't impressed by the face shield. As Baz pointed out the protection level against impact is important. The only advantage it seemed to have was lightness in weight on the head ( the batteries are carried at waist level in a holder)
I use a Trend Airshield at the moment, having previously had a Racal airlite.
Ive found that the best way of keeping the costs down is to put the helmet away somewhere safe when you've done using it! It's all to easy to damage the thing accidentaly in a crowded workshop.
 Mike

Edited By Mike Jordan on 06/01/2010 19:51:56

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Triton
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact