By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Knocked this up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee03/01/2010 20:00:00
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
While tidiying up the workshop today I thought I would make a small drainer for our sink. Since I installed the new kitchen there isn't as much draining area with a 1 1/2 bowl sink. Rather than do a balancing act with the dishes on the smaller drainer I knocked this up in Oak with a couple of coats of lemon oil to protect it.

Doug03/01/2010 21:11:55
3415 forum posts
35 photos
That`s a neat idea Alan, modern drainers are pathetically small, i supposed manufactures think everyone has a dishwasher.

It will be interesting to see how the lemon oil stands up to the ware & tear of  draining pots, though easy to re-apply.

Cheers.

Baz  
Sam03/01/2010 22:03:00
386 forum posts
110 photos
Nice work there Mailee , it has just solved my problem , as was thinking similar as "we" need more space . Do like it alot .

Just one criticism , please refrain from using phrases like "just knocked it up"  as I would love to just "knock one up" as easily as that !!

Cheers  
Olly Parry-Jones04/01/2010 10:18:22
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Alan, this is a great idea! I also find our draining board to be a bit small when I can't be bothered to fill the dishwasher and waste all that precious electric (which I could be using in the workshop!).

What glue did you use?

I guess the alternative would have been to make it so it sits horizontally and then taper the depth of the grooves, like a more traditional board. Trend produce a jig to do just that but, you could get the same result by making your own jig and sticking a thin batten beneath one end.

It looks like something you can hang on the wall or side of a unit when you're done. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

-----

Ron Davis04/01/2010 15:45:29
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Lovely job Mailee, I hope your cutlery and pots are stainless though, it will be a shame to have black tannin stains appear.

Ron
Mailee04/01/2010 21:38:54
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thanks guys, I thought it was a good idea to solve the problem. Olly I used PU glue as it is totally waterproof. I did think of cutting the grooves on a taper but thought this would be a quicker method. I have cut Beech worktops this way before to drain into a Belfast sink, This time I was just being lazy. LOL Sorry Sam but it was just knocked up within a couple of hours. Not much work in it really, it took longer to sand it than build it. SWMBO was very happy with it and it does indeed hang on one end of the worktop when not in use. Most of the cutlery is stainless just some of the pans are plain steel so we will see what happens over time. 
Delete04/01/2010 23:05:19
575 forum posts
I have something similar in the Caravan. The Caravan one is cheap plastic. This is great, I only have one complaint. Why didnt I think of it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact