By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

workshop hell

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delete11/01/2010 18:32:07
575 forum posts
At this rate Toothy you will have the Penguins complaining. I understand that we have some in zoos here in the UK that are finding it too cold for them.  I think they are the SA variety. My youngest daughter spent 2 years in SA working and came home with some great photos. SHe still has a Horse near Cape Town.
Ralph Harvey11/01/2010 23:03:01
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
It must be catching ?

I came home today and my son said "sounds like something is running in your shed ?" when i opened the door it was a flood, the water pipe for the outside tap had split and there was a horizontal fountain squerting accross the shed, soaked my bandsaw, belt & disc sander and hoover, the Viceroy was sitting in 2" of water as was all the wood and the chop saw had a light shower.

Luckilly the bandsaw isnt too bad at least it missed the motor and moving parts and the Viceror missed all the electrical parts, but i think the sander and hoover are write offs.

Well at least i will have to move it round to clear and dry it all so something good might come from it, but its another few days maybe a week before i get to do any more turning ?

Ralph
George Arnold12/01/2010 11:00:58
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ralph

Sorry to hear of your problem with the burst pipe, I hope the damage is not bad and you can get back to turning, ready for the competition.

George
Ralph Harvey12/01/2010 14:50:08
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks George

Just spent all morning emptying everything out of the shed the water went in and under just about everything,

Mostly ok all the wood is very wet but only at one end, the machinery was mostly off the floor so on the whole it was ok, even the bandsaw seems to be fine despite being right in front of the leak, i think the only real problem is the sander, so much water inside, it will probably be a write off.

Just waiting for the plumber to do the repair to the pipe and i can put everything back together. may even be back turning by the end of the week.

Ralph
Toothy12/01/2010 16:12:48
458 forum posts
67 photos
Ralph

Sympathies

Toothy
Ron Davis12/01/2010 16:14:35
1619 forum posts
201 photos
And I sometimes wish i have water  in my shed, I will count my blessings.

Hope it all dries out for you - and you can afford the plumber!

Ron
Alan T.12/01/2010 17:52:38
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Ralph,  Sorry to hear of your water leak. Hope it is soon sorted and you are soon back at the lathe. No real damage in my workshop but getting someone to repair the roof is difficult. As Winston said 'keep buggering on'.  Cheers   Alan T.
Ralph Harvey12/01/2010 22:26:35
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks Guys

I think i got off quite light especially as the Bandsaw was right in front of it,

The plumber is now coming tommorow morning, loads of people with the same problem, and,  its "housing society" so they sort it out, hopefully it might be back in place by the end of the day. At least its all clean and reorganised for me to start again,

They say it comes in 3s so i think thats the quota in this thread, lets hope thats the end for now ?

Ralph
Sparky12/01/2010 22:36:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Crikey Ralph

That's not the nicest news I would like to hear from you.

I know they will clean up but, I think you may find you can claim under their insurance......wont hurt in asking.

Good luck anyway.

Marc
Ralph Harvey12/01/2010 22:53:42
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

They are sending out the forms but as i didnt shut off the stopcock for the outside supply i suspect it was my fault ? you never know though i just might get the sander replaced !

Ralph
Sparky12/01/2010 22:59:20
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ralph

Stop cock outside your house or house to shed?

If its outside your property (ie public path) then its nothing to do with you........

If its inside then you can blame the cold and say it was frozen and any movement would of broke the tap off the pipe.

Just keep the hassle on them.

Marc 
Ralph Harvey12/01/2010 23:05:17
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Marc

The Stopcock / tap is inside the shed for the outside tap, it was behind the kit so not easy to get to, but i wont tell them that ?

Ralph
Sparky12/01/2010 23:18:14
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Just tell them it was frozen......they wont be able to tell by the time they visit..........if they visit.

Marc

PS; Didn't you loose a lot of sandpaper turning cloths and had to throw all that out?

Marc
Ralph Harvey12/01/2010 23:24:01
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Good point Marc

Theres 4 bags of "waste" material to get rid of !

Most anoying thing though i just bought some real nice white Sycamore for a piece to turn later, cost just under £40, cut it in half to store it and both pieces now have a water stain on them just have to see when it dries out ?

Ralph
Sparky12/01/2010 23:34:58
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ralph

I had a lot of water which went on my Sycamore and even though it was only 2" thick, there wasn't any staining after it dried out......I do hope yours will be the same.

(Stick that on the list too )

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact