By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router base plate sizes.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Silfi31/12/2009 17:01:31
8 forum posts

Hi everyone,
                      I found this forum while searching for router details on the Web and hope someone on here can help.

I have just purchased a new Trend T5 router to replace my trusty Elu 96 which has finally failed.
The details for the Trend say it is completely compatible with all the Elu accessories. This may well be true but the base plates are different sizes.
The same width (110mm) but different length (145mm against 150mm).
This means I will have to modify my purpose made table and several jigs to fit the Trend router.
The only other similar model is the Dewalt 615.
Annoyingly the Dewalt web site quotes the width  (110mm) but not the length.

Can anyone tell me the size of the Dewalt 615 base?

I have only considered the Trend and Dewalt as I consider a LOCK ON switch is a necessity.
Sparky31/12/2009 18:15:39
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Silfi and welcome to this site's forum.

I've found Trend's compatibility list and it does say the Elu MOF96 is not compatible with the bases. >> here <<

Have you different model?

If you have the Elu MOF96(E), your'll need the sub base GB/5 >> HERE <<  for the round base or GB/PLATE >> here << for the square sub base......you can of course use the universal sub base >> here <<

Marc

Edited By sparky on 31/12/2009 18:31:15

Silfi01/01/2010 11:53:47
8 forum posts
Sparky,
             Thanks for your prompt reply.
My problem is that my router table does not use any sub base. So that I did not lose any height the router is recessed directly into my table. (ie the router's existing base is level with the table top.  Hope that makes sense!!
My router is the original Elu MOF96 not the 96E if that makes any difference.
Mailee01/01/2010 16:45:30
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Silfi, I have just measured the base plate ont he DW 615 for you, here are the dimentions:
145mm x 110mm Measurement is taken to the widest point of the rounded edges of the long side. HTH. 
Sparky01/01/2010 20:07:11
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Silfi
No problems mate.

Did you click on the links in my last post?
It does say the base wouldn't fit.

Wouldn't the Trend Universal Sub Base help at all?

I think your best bet would be to buy some Perspex and make the base yourself......

Marc

Silfi01/01/2010 20:18:06
8 forum posts

Mailee,
             these are the same sizes as my old Elu.-----Just what I was looking for, thanks for taking the time to measure your Dewalt.
   I will try to exchange the Trend for a DW615 early next week. It is a bit more expensive but will be worth it not to have to modify my table and several jigs.

On further investigation on the web apparently Dewalt swallowed up Elu in 1994 so perhaps that is the reason for the similarity.

dennis wake02/01/2010 01:11:06
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Silfi
    i do not have any info on the routers in question but you may need to check the hole centers to see if they are the same on the dewalt and the elu they may be difrent. i hope you get sorted.
dennis
Mailee02/01/2010 13:38:42
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Silfi, the DW615 is a direct copy of the old Elu 96E and as such the dimensions are the same. I am afraid the Trend T5 is a cheaper copy of the old Elu and in my honest opinion not a very good one. (Check out the base plate on the T5 it is bonded on as opposed to the Elu/De Walt which is screwed on) Of course the quality of the DW isn't as good as the old Swiss made Elu's either but that is progress for you. I do have all three of these routers so if you need any more info let me know. Glad to be of help.
Silfi07/01/2010 20:54:12
8 forum posts

A quick update---
   The Trend T5 has been returned but-----
Mailee's comments about the build quality of modern routers started me thinking.  Could I repair my old Elu? The top bearing has failed, but it is a standard size and readily available from bearing suppliers.
I don't expect it will  be easy to remove due to lack of space. I have nothing to lose and it will be interesting fabricating/modifying a puller to remove the armature.
Mailee08/01/2010 00:36:11
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Hello again Silfi. Yes it is a doeable job to replace the bearings on your old Elu. I know this as I have done it myself on one of my Elu 96s. I replaced my top and bottom bearings but they are tight and you will need a puller or make up something to pull the bearing off the armature. I am sure there should be something on the Internet about it as a chap called Steve Maskery wrote an article for Good Woodworking on it with photos. I am afraid I can't remember when it was but think it may have been a year or two ago now. I did have photos of my replacement but lost them when one of my hard drives went down on my computer I am afraid. I did buy my bearings from Toolshop Direct who unfortunately are no longer but as you say they are available off the shelf from bearing suppliers. HTH. 
Sparky08/01/2010 06:48:42
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Talking of Steve Maskery

He has made a load of models for SketchUp >> here <<  which can be downloaded.
His web page can be found >> here <<

Still trying to find the article though, sorry.

Marc

Silfi20/01/2010 19:58:19
8 forum posts

Hi Everybody,
  I have not started the bearing repair yet. My better half reckons there are more important things to do than "fiddling about with an old router"!

However, I think I may have traced the article about router bearing replacement Mailee mentioned----Good Woodworking issue 178 September 2006.

Can anyone confirm this is correct before I order the back issue?
Silfi04/02/2010 17:26:51
8 forum posts
The bearing has been replaced and the router sounds sweet again.---good for a few more years hopefully.

For anyone needing to replace this bearing the number which identifies it to bearing suppliers is 608 ZZ.   The Trend T5 uses the same bearing.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
Sparky04/02/2010 18:42:24
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Glad everything is back on track Silfi..........now fill your album up with your projects!

Marc
Ron Davis04/02/2010 19:39:22
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Silfi, sorry to note that your wife does not understand you, what is more important than fiddling with an old router? Other than doing the same to your lathe

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact