By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

sharpening

diamond belt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul52828/12/2009 06:01:00
4 forum posts

would like to buy belt/ diamond sharpening machine, anyone had experience with one?
Big Al28/12/2009 08:01:53
1596 forum posts
73 photos
no, I haven't, the best machine that I bought for sharpening was a tormek grinder. Highly recommended, and quite a few people on this forum have got one.

Al 
steve h28/12/2009 08:45:45
403 forum posts
128 photos
Like AL, I also have the Tormek system, which I think is fantastic, my chisels and plane iorns have never been as sharp and you do not need any real skill to get your tools like razors.  I know they are a 'A lot of money', but worth the investment!
Mark Sutton28/12/2009 09:00:56
193 forum posts
59 photos
Good morning

I have the Sorby pro-edge sharpening system, I find it very useful for my needs, it provides a good edge on all my turning tools and chisels, and doesn`t take to much steel when sharpening.  Bit expensive, but can be expanded.

Mark
Alan T.28/12/2009 12:00:44
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Paul, I'm with Big Al on this one. Tormek is tops.  Alan T.
Sparky28/12/2009 12:36:54
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Paul and welcome to this site's forum

What tools are you planing on sharpening?
If its just bench chisels and plane irons, try using a diamond sharpening stone and practice by hand..........I've got to the stage where I can shave and its such a pleasure to cut/plane the wood and have such thin shavings that you can read print through.

For the price of a bench stone (around £10 for 4 grits) it also gives you the pleasure that you've done the sharpening and not a machine.
And the use of a piece of leather (belt or old leather suite cut off from a shop)

One problem though, you need to grow your hair back quickly if you use the chisels a lot

Marc
Mailee28/12/2009 19:37:23
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
well I am almost a Tormek user as I have the Scheppach Tiger. I find it is great for sharpening my chisels and plane blades as I am a numpty with hand sharpening. I even tried the Veritas guide but it took too long to get a good edge.
Sparky28/12/2009 22:25:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Alan

If you want to use a good guide, try this one. I must admit, once set up it never fails to get a perfect edge on my blades.

For around £7, its one of the best I've had the pleasure to use. (> Axminster's link < )

Marc
Delete29/12/2009 19:07:38
575 forum posts
I also have a Schepech Tiger
 It is much better than a Tormek. Design is very similar does the same job jus as well but a lot less in price. That put it to the top of my list. I also didnt like the attitude of the people at a shw who were trying to sell Tormek. (Not the Demonstrator he was great).
Ron Davis29/12/2009 20:07:39
1613 forum posts
201 photos
If you want a great sharpening guide, try all the one from Trend. All you need to get one is to have a family who are stuck for idears at Christmas!

Ron
Gwilym6830/12/2009 12:06:47
14 forum posts
36 photos
Hi all

I'm also looking to purchase a sharpening system,  comparing both Tormek and Schepech the price difference between them is bordering on rediculous. Can anyone explain or justify the price difference?  The Schepech machines seem to be of similar design as tormeck and do the same job at the end of the day but  for a far more resonable price tag. With the difference in price I could purchase a lot more tools and or other machines. I suppose my mind is made up, but still interested in your comments.

Roger B, Mailee, would be interested to know which schepech models you use and your opions with regards to the quality and ease of use etc.

Cheers

John Kinch30/12/2009 14:24:15
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi  Gwilym, have you seen or considered the Work sharp from Rutlands. According to the video you can see the material being ground off by the slits in the rotating grind wheel above the tool being sharpened.

Regards John Kinch.
Olly Parry-Jones31/12/2009 10:05:13
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Have you seen the Work Sharp 3000? (Currently on special offer! )

They also do the smaller 2000 model.

No mess, very few sparks and a cooling vent below the dust helps to prevent  overheating your edges (though, you still have to use some care). They're proving to be quite popular. It's a shame there is only one distributor in the UK. I've been looking for a grinding system for a while now and this one looks ideal for me!
Gwilym6831/12/2009 10:12:42
14 forum posts
36 photos
Hi OPJ

Funny enough I,m currently on D&M web site looking at the Scheppach Tiger 2000s, its already in my basket but not bought yet,  its on offer at mo for £99, what you think of this system??

Cheers

Sparky31/12/2009 16:46:30
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Richard II

Dont forget the 15% VAT finishes at 11.59pm then its back to 17.5%, so you may be paying more.

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact