By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Labour of love

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mailee27/12/2009 18:59:40
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I have been catching up on a project that is long overdue for SWMBO. It is a corner cabinet for shoes in our hall, well porch really as it is small. I have made it mainly out of MR MDF with some Beech for the frame parts. SWMBO decided she would like something with a curved front so it was a good excuse to try out the vacuum bag for moulding. I am afraid there are no WIP pics but here are a couple of how much I have completed.

I used three layers of 3mm MDF for the door panel and Beech for the door stiles. The rails were made with three pieces of MDF cut into a curve and glued together. I am working on the plinth at the moment so it looks a little plain at the moment. I have to admit that this is the first time I have built a bowed cabinet and it did present a few problems, but with a bit of lateral thinking and a couple of jigs I did manage. SWMBO has decided she wants it to match the other pieces in our home of Silver grey  Still she is the boss whatever she wants. Will keep you posted.  
Doug27/12/2009 19:32:15
3415 forum posts
35 photos
This is looking really nice Alan, 

A good idea on a shoe storage cupboard is some ventilation holes, shoes can smell a bit in a confined space, DAMHIKT.

Look forward to seeing it finished.

Best wishes & happy new year.

Baz  

Edited By baz on 27/12/2009 19:33:37

steve h28/12/2009 07:33:41
403 forum posts
128 photos
That's a really good piece of work, I have never attempted anything like that, do you have to have pre-formed shapes of the curve of the door?

Mailee28/12/2009 18:49:30
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thanks Steve. The door was shaped by glueing three pieces of MDF together and then cutting the curve on the bandsaw. The centre panel was made up of three pieces of 3mm MDF glued and bent over a former in a vacuum bag. A 9mm groove was cut into the curved rails to accomodate the panel and also in the stiles. The complete assembly was joined together with loose tennons at the corners. Hardest part was cutting the edges of the door at an angle to meet the frame. I had to make a jig for the router so it would cut the edge at a 3 degree angle. Anyway I did manage to attach the plinth today and got the first coat of colour on. I was going to brush it on but it was too thick and didn't look too good so I used a sponge roller and this turned out much better.
I shall wait until tomorrow and if it is hard enough I shall nib it down and apply another coat. Will keep you posted of course.
Dave Atkinson29/12/2009 09:14:04
672 forum posts
115 photos
Looks great 

Cheers Dave
Wolfie29/12/2009 09:58:40
406 forum posts
76 photos
I must agree with all the other comments. This is a really good looking piece with a lot of thought and effort put into it. well done.

cheers      Ian
Joe O 329/12/2009 15:45:17
203 forum posts
Add mine to the growing list of compliments.
Well done Mailee

Cheers,
Joe. 
Mailee29/12/2009 17:36:37
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Thanks for the nice comments guys, much appreciated. I checked the finish today but it is still soft so I will have to leave it a little longer yet. I still have the inside of the door to paint and then it will be finished. Will keep you posted of course.
Delete29/12/2009 18:49:26
575 forum posts
My Wife was taught to brush paint by a Master Boat Builder. The secret is inthinning the paint very slightly then puting the paint on the substrate and then laying it off. I am afraid its a bit hard to describe the exact method but she painted a boat . All 32 foot of it . When it was launched the yard guys said "I thought this was a Wooden boat not a plastic one. She had made a very good jog no brush marks at all.
Oh the brush was a good quality Harris which had beer run in for about 4 hours on some concrete to wear the tip nicely and get rid of any loose bristles. She still has it in use after 16 years.
Mailee30/12/2009 21:30:40
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I got the cabinet finished and ready to install. I am not too sure about the handle though. I didn't know if it should be the same colour as the unit or even a different shape? What do you guys think any suggestions?

SWMBO thinks it should be the same colour as the unit, I am not so sure and think it should be a contrasting colour. :?
Sparky30/12/2009 21:33:56
7631 forum posts
22 photos
You've done an excellent job there Alan, well done mate.

Marc

PS; Handle black
Olly Parry-Jones31/12/2009 09:56:10
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Nice work, Alan.

Couple of questions...

Why did you laminate the curved door rails from MDF rather than beech?

And, how did you cut the grooves in the curved rails? (I wonder whether you could've made them by laminating a narrower piece in between two wider ones, depending on the thickness of the panel?)

I agree with Marc, too - paint the handle black!
Mailee31/12/2009 13:15:11
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Well here it is in place.

SWMBO is not convinced by the handle and says it needs a stainless steel one. Looks like I will be changing it then.  :roll: (As someone stated, better to be happy than right) She is happy with the cabinet though and it will just take two pairs of shoes per shelf. 
Olly, I didn't have enough Beech to cut the curved rails hence the reason I used MDF. I never considered using three pieces as you describe as it would have meant a bit of guess work on the curve due to the spring back from the laminating. As it was any springback in the panel could be held by the rails, (if not too much of course) This is the reason I used this method instead. I cut the groove for the panel by making a baseplate for the router with a 'pin' that rode on the outer edge of the rail giving me a groove that was a set distance from the edge. The difficult part was then matching the groove in the stiles to this. Loose tennons were then made to fit into the grooves to hold the frame together. 

Ron Davis31/12/2009 16:49:47
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hi Mailee, great piece of work.

For what it is worth SWMBO is right either stainless or aluminium for the handles.

I nevr thought of aluminimum paint for a woodwork job

Ron
Mailee31/12/2009 17:59:47
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Ha, Neither had I considered that colour either Ron, she did though. Not my choice of colour but she likes the Silver Grey and Chrome look. Still she is the boss and what she wants she gets. LOL.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Triton
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact