By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Workshop Heating

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gwilym6823/12/2009 11:10:20
14 forum posts
36 photos

Hi All

Not sure if anyone’s noticed  but the weather seems to have turned a bit colder and with all the insulation I put in my workshop it has turned into a fridge/freezer . Can anyone suggest a good heating system that would be low in cost to run etc.. I'm currently using two oiled filled radiators and even though they said in the right up that they are cheap to run I‘m a bit sceptical about this, no doubt the figures they state relate to the lowest settings…To get any sort of comfort I must run them on the highest.

Because of the waste we can all produce and sometimes the difficulties with disposal I was wondering about a log/waste burning stove, but it does make me nervous to have a wood burning stove in a wooden workshop. Any thoughts
Dave Atkinson23/12/2009 11:57:59
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hiya

I also have 2 oil filled radiators.  I control them through a simple thermostat which I leave on about 8degrees.  It's never cold and it sooms warms up if I turn it up.  The shed is also insulated walls and roof with 4inch loft insulation.  I haven;t noticed any significant increase in the electric bill.

Happy Christmas

Dave
Sparky23/12/2009 22:12:17
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Guys

I've just bought an Lidl 5 bar oil filled rad and for the £30 I paid for it, its upped my temperature in the shed from -2 to +9 onwards and that's just using it on the lowest setting......... electricity wise, it doesn't use that much....about £0.75 to £1.50 a day and I mean from 8am to around 8 pm.....

I think they were on offer 2 weeks ago but, my shop still had quite a few left.

Marc
Doug23/12/2009 22:32:30
3415 forum posts
35 photos
If you`ve a combi boiler, that has a pressurized heating system, so it`s quite fessible to put a couple of rads in your workshop.

I`ve got 3 rads off my combi & its made no noticeable increase to the gas bill. Oh & the shop is 10 meters from the house.

Baz. 
Sam23/12/2009 23:06:45
386 forum posts
110 photos
I currently have an electric bar heater and a 500watt halogen light ( for the heat) . I am about to buy some elecy oil filled bars like you see in in gyms etc .

My only warning with a stove . I used to fit them for nearly ten years . Is that as it has a naked flame , you run the risk of a dust explosion if you are sanding or your filtration doesnt get it all . Did once see a demo of one coming from a stove , not pretty .   The other issue would be that you need to allow for airflow in to the building , which may be contradict  what you are trying to achieve .

Oh and with even the smallest of stoves need to be a minimum of 200mm from any masonary surfaces , ie walls etc , so if your workshop is timber it will need to be more unless you put a retardant surface up  .   And you need to allow about 400mm as a hearth for sparks and hot embers when you open it  , and then you need to fire proof where the flue cross's through a wall or roof and then you are talking twin wall flue .Kerching ££££  .   I imagine , if done properly it will cost minimum £1000.00 .

And burning saw dust /chip isnt that easy to burn . as it mainly smoulderes and needs  to be turned over frequently so it all burns .

Hope this helps 

Cheers , Sam
Delete24/12/2009 18:36:50
575 forum posts
I guess I am now going to have shreiks from all.

I use a Calor Gas Heater when it is absolutly required.. Yes it makes some moisture. Here by the coast it does not appear to make much difference. Yes it could cause a dust explosion. The answer is to not get dust in the air. Manage the risk.
Gwilym6824/12/2009 23:53:47
14 forum posts
36 photos
Thanks all for your input, think I may stick to my oil filled radiators... especially after info from Sam, dont think I want to spend that much money on heating. Thanks all
Ralph Harvey25/12/2009 00:09:44
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I have a rather older heating system, an extra coat ! must look into some sort of heating next year i think.

Ralph
steve h25/12/2009 14:23:58
403 forum posts
128 photos
I made this post >> Wood burning stoves << that I thought would interest a few as an alternative way of heating your workshop, it has worked a treat for me since I installed these in late 2008.

Edited By sparky on 25/12/2009 23:09:43

will spencer27/12/2009 23:42:40
21 forum posts
if anybody does suffer from moisture i find that a dishfull of salt should absorb most of the moisture protecting your tools
Doug28/12/2009 10:33:08
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by will spencer on 27/12/2009 23:42:40:
if anybody does suffer from moisture i find that a dishfull of salt should absorb most of the moisture protecting your tools

I think that`s a great idea, & as usual the simple ones are the best,  I imagine 30 minutes in the oven when SWMBO is cooking dinner & the salt would be ready for use again.

Baz  
steve h28/12/2009 10:44:13
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Will & Baz, I use this when I over-winter my static van, I know it works a treat there, but was a little concerned about introducing salt to the workshop?
steve h28/12/2009 10:45:30
403 forum posts
128 photos
Sorry, can someone translate - what's SWMBO?
Sparky28/12/2009 12:51:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
S = She, W = Who, M = Must, B = Be, O = Obeyed!

Marc
steve h29/12/2009 13:31:58
403 forum posts
128 photos
OH! - I have one of those too!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact