By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Oak Meter Box

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam23/12/2009 00:06:27
386 forum posts
110 photos
Hi all  .  Just a brief one . I was asked to make a box to hide a meter . It is for my father inlaw who I just fitted a high gloss black kitchen for . Along with the kitchen it had 40mm solid oak worktops (bought)  and I had to make 32mm oak window boards  for 3 windows .
  So the theme is oak and black .

Any way . I was given no theme other than oak . SO now I could play and came up with a simple box and instead of having 2 doors I made one . The frame is 40 x 32 , which I cut out of some offcuts from the window board and profile up to allow it to sit over the frame and inside the opening as the picture shows  . I routered a 20mm rebare inside the frame so I could use some spare oak flooring for the infill panel as I dont have a thicknesser , yet .

Instead  of just gluing the T&G boards together to make one large oak panel I enlarged the upper side of the tongue . I did this for several reasons as I didnt want it to bow and warp as I was making it in a cold workshop and I didnt have time to let the glue set as was in a rush .  I was also playing with styles as I had never made a panel like this yet .Also means that the boards can float and when they do the gap will disguise any movement .

I then fitted it some hinges I had spare   from a kitchen I did last year from Homebase , as they appeared ideal for the job as the unit is up against the ceiling . 

And after a little sanding here it is
   This was held together using a combination of biscuits and screws with plugs

Will download some pictures of it hung as I have to fit it tomorrow .

And then I have to make some floating oak shelves witht the offcuts from the worktop ....which will be fun !!

Cheers
Olly Parry-Jones23/12/2009 09:11:51
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Nicely done, Sam. There's nothing wrong with the way you've created those panels - I don't think many people would've actually glued them to form one wide panel. You're right; they are free to move this way.
Oddjob23/12/2009 10:14:05
1635 forum posts
79 photos
An oak meter cupboard - that's one-upmanship for you
It looks very good.  My poor meters have to live in plastic boxes let into the house wall outside!

Richard
Gwilym6823/12/2009 11:22:28
14 forum posts
36 photos
Looks a brilliant cover m8 your father-in-law should be well pleased. I like the idea of using the oak flooring and agree not to glue them.

Gwilym68
steve h23/12/2009 13:28:10
403 forum posts
128 photos
Now that is a posh meter cupboard - mines in 18mm pine and nothing as fancy!
Charlie Hill23/12/2009 22:13:57
76 forum posts
53 photos
Lovely job Sam. Well done.

Charlie
Sam23/12/2009 22:54:29
386 forum posts
110 photos
Cheers all for the compliments . I just wanted to try a few methods out that i had read / seen . I was a little dubious about the routing as I only just had enough timber of the right sizes .

I fitted it today , BUT the walls are seriously out . All built on the P==S  . Over 2.2m  the wall leans nearly 50mm and the ceiling runs 10mm per 1000 . So had to mount it level . This means I am going to have to make up a cornice / pelmet arrangement to scribe and cover the "discrepancies " .  But will post as soon as complete .

And as for the gluing the panel , I just thought it would be standard as what is done on kitchen cuboard doors .   Glad I didnt now given your words of approval .

Now what do I do with over a hundred pairs of Euro Hinges I have collected in the past 5 years .

Kind regards Sam  
Delete24/12/2009 18:24:17
575 forum posts
Re the hinges

Build another kitchen for someone!!
Sam24/04/2010 23:37:06
386 forum posts
110 photos
Hello all , as promised , the pictures of the unit finished , well except 2 plugs/dowels . Only thing was the ceiling being so far out I had to butcher the top piece of architrave .

The ceiling was about 10mm out along the length of the unit (1000mm) and the wall was 75mm out from top to bottom .

And then I had to fit the TV on the motorized   bracket so it can be watched from the right . Posh gits .

Thanks for looking . 

Kind regards Sam

Sparky25/04/2010 16:56:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Cracking job Sam, well done mate.

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact