By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gwilym6821/12/2009 11:45:15
14 forum posts
36 photos

Hi all

I have been a member of this site for a couple of weeks now but have been sitting quietly in the background reading through the current and past threads which I have found enjoyable and informative.

I have been dabbling with wood for a few years now, mainly due to the purchase of a house in 2000 that was in need of restoration. I am by no means an expert just a very persistent Do It Yourself person.

Prior to August this year I was in the employment of the NHS but fortunately an opportunity arouse for me to take voluntary redundancy (fortunate because I had become very unhappy and disillusioned with the NHS)

Following this decision and after long discussions with the better half and having a young family it was decided that I would not look for further employment but to try and establish a business that could be run from home. Because of my love for wood and an artistic flare we decided to risk starting a family business RGL Garden and Property Maintenance Services, basically this will be a handyman service painting and decorating, gardening etc. but hopefully will be able to specialize in sheds made to order, garden planters, gazebos, kennels, hutches, garden toys and playhouses etc.

It was decided to use some of my redundancy money to establish the business this year in readiness for 2010, since the decision I have been re-designing the bottom of our garden and constructing a new workshop to replace my old one.

Following on from all your examples I have placed photos on my profile of the progress and will continue to contribute to the forum as and when possible. No doubt I will be seeking some advice because I’m continually learning as I go along, I will most probably make a few mistakes on the way, but like the saying goes you learn by them.

May I take this opportunity to thank you all for the knowledge you have all already imparted on me through you very informative threads and wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy prosperous new year.

Richard

P.S reading through the threads I noticed that there is another Richard, so not to step on his toes or to confuse anyone I have decide to go with my middle name Gwilym

All the best

Gwilym

Sparky21/12/2009 12:10:37
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Richard II / Gwilym (Nice Welsh name) and welcome to this site's forum

I wouldn't worry about stepping on others toes my friend as we have over 5,500 members or more and I'd bet there is more than 2 Richards

Very nice to read you but, you could place this information in your 'Profile' as many members might not read this but will look at your profile details.......not to worry though, you can do that later

You are going to make a LOT of members green with envy looking at your album and seeing this beautifully constructed workshop..........24' x 19' (foot) is one 'ell of a workspace!!!

Looking forward to seeing more projects in your albums very soon.

All the best and happy shavings!

Marc
steve h21/12/2009 14:01:26
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Gwilym, is the coffee shop upstairs?

That is ONE hell of a workshop you have there!

Look forward to seeing what you make out of your prestine new workshop!

Welcome again - and a Merry Christmas to you
Alan T.21/12/2009 15:41:56
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Gwilym,  Now that's what you call a workshop. Welcome to the site and good luck with your venture, a very brave decision in the economic climate of today. Look forward to seeing your first project as and when. Seasonal greetings to you and all the members of this site,including those who just read but not contribute.   Regards    Alan T.
Oddjob21/12/2009 16:16:32
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Welcome Gwilym - Brilliant workshop.  (You're not intending to spoil it with shavings and sawdust are you?  You seem to have some good kit - I look forward to seeing some projects develop.

Good luck with the new venture - I really hope that you achieve your dreams.

Richard
Ralph Harvey21/12/2009 16:30:24
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Welcome Gwilym

I am definately envious of that workshop you certainly have quite some space there. What sort of projects have you lined up ? look forward to them anyway.

Oh by the way, as for the definition of an expert, my old mate used to say, " Ex as in has been and spert as in drip under presure" so nothing to wory about there !

No offence to all the excelent woodworkers out there ?

Ralph
George Arnold21/12/2009 18:21:24
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Welcome to the site Gwilym.
 That sure is a lovely workshop , I hope your new venture goes well , look forward to some of you projects , don't under value yourself ,the trouble earning a living with your hands is, once you put the tools down you stop earning money.

George
Derek Lane21/12/2009 18:45:08
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
Welcome Gwilym Hope you enjoy the Banter on here. Loads of space in that workshop just right for those larger jobs
arryB21/12/2009 19:02:47
38 forum posts
6 photos
Hi Gwilym

I'm still a new boy on the block and don't get much opportunity to visit , but things are begining to settle in my little world and I'm looking forward to becoming 'established' and active in a very amature way.

Your workshop reminds me of an old army friends shop up in Sheffield, but his is very very much smaller.  Yours is, Wow!

I must visit the forum more often now so that I can fond out when the 'topping out' party is!!

Best of luck with your venture, happy christmas.

arryB

jay 121/12/2009 20:50:31
72 forum posts
6 photos
well done Gwilym i hope things go well for you did something similar my self there a while ago started to get some work things were picking up when i got another job worse thing ever did stick at it i hope it works out i hope you have a lot of cleaning to do every night in the work shop
Wolfie22/12/2009 10:25:46
406 forum posts
76 photos
Hi there Gwilym,
         I wish you all the best of luck with your new venture. You have a wonderful work shop and it appears to be very well equiped. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
         To you and all the other folk on this site have a very happy Christmas and a prosperous new year     cheers     Ian
Delete22/12/2009 14:54:29
575 forum posts
Hi Gwyliam

That is some great Workshop you have built. I also like the projects you have created.. If that is an example of your work you deserve to do well. I do hope so.

Rog
Olly Parry-Jones22/12/2009 20:12:22
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Welcome, Gwilym. Your workshop looks excellent!!

What are you planning to do with the space upstairs? Storage? It looks like an ideal space for a small office, to me.

-----

Gwilym6822/12/2009 21:56:57
14 forum posts
36 photos

hi all

May I start by thanking everyone for the welcome messages, its great to be part of such a friendly forum.

I've already had a number of people interested in my made to measure sheds, and one person enquired with regards to me building a pigeon loft. so here’s hoping that after the Christmas period I will be a bit busier. I expect business to be slow on start up, but am hoping that word and mouth will help in my venture as well as the usual leaflets etc. not looking to become a millionaire even though it sounds nice but I am happy with my current life style. Anyway if I was a millionaire what would I wish for? We live for our dreams it gives us a goal in life.

Hi OPJ, Upstairs was designed mainly for storage. (but a coffee  shop sounds good Steve h ) I intend to make Christmas decorations, garden planters, ornaments bird tables/house or what ever proves popular etc throughout the year in readiness to sell at the right seasons.

Hi Oddjob/Wolfie, I managed to convince her indoors that to do a job right you need the right tools…. So it was with her blessing (until I told her the cost ) that I invest in a few new machines, still need to build up my hand tools and replace some that have received a battering over the years (but my tool catalogues have seemed to have gone missing ). But never mind, I have put a letter into Santa for some, so here’s hoping.

Anyway I’m going on and on….

Thanks again all

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

Charlie Hill23/12/2009 22:32:22
76 forum posts
53 photos
Hi Gwilym

I wish you the very best of luck with your new venture. That is a fantastic big workshop you have built. It deserves to be kept busy with your new career.

Charlie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact