By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ralph's Spalted Beech & Paduke Drawer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Sparky09/12/2009 08:20:04
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ralph.

Firstly great to see these images after the problem. 

Secondly, Definitely worth the wait.!

Really clever design and very well executed. It almost reminds me of the old boats stored this way in our old quaint fishing villages.

I noticed that this is your first idea, are you planing to have another one like this joined together in some way?

Well done mate, I like

Marc
Dave Atkinson09/12/2009 08:52:30
672 forum posts
115 photos
Great piece of work ralph.  I like it very much

Cheers Dave
steve h09/12/2009 10:04:55
403 forum posts
128 photos
Lovely piece of work Ralph - I very much like the shape to - unusual
Ralph Harvey09/12/2009 10:19:21
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks Guys

Its the first  of a a three i have planned but plans is as far as it will go at the moment my lathe motor burnt out last week, and a new one will cost nearly as much as the lathe cost ?

Its too  close to christmas to do anything right now but that has given me loads of time to look at the web for ideas the AAW is an amazing place to see some realy inspiring work. well worth a google

Ralph
Oddjob09/12/2009 15:38:09
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Very nice piece Ralph.  Sorry to hear about your motor.

I suggest you take it to your nearest electric motor rewind company.  They will tell you whether it is worth rewinding or almost certainly get you a replacement if necessary.  Either way will be much cheaper than going to the lathe manufacturers.

Lathe manufacturers don't make motors.  They buy standard motors and maybe add bits to make them fit the lathe casing.  Any such bits are usually easily transferred to a new motor bought elsewhere.

Do let us know how you get on.

Richard
Ralph Harvey09/12/2009 20:03:54
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks Richard,

The lathe was a real cheapie at only £99, when i bought it, a couple of other little problems have also cropped up over the 2 years i have had it and I just dont want to spend more on it i would rather try to find a different lathe and start again

Who knows there might be a lathe behind one of the doors on the advent calender ? doubtful i know !!

Ralph
Sparky09/12/2009 22:01:07
7631 forum posts
22 photos
QUOTE;-

Ralph - "Who knows there might be a lathe behind one of the doors on the advent calender ? doubtful i know !!"

END QUOTE.

George Arnold10/12/2009 17:14:14
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ralph
That is an unusual design, well done, sorry the lathe has given up the ghost, it sounds like it is time to junk it and buy a better one,it is always a problem with money.
 Does Sparky know somthing we don't? Ron will have to make sure he does not miss any more days.
George

Ralph Harvey10/12/2009 17:28:11
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks George

I am hoping to get a new lathe after Christmas my be January but it will probably be another cheapie, Axminster do a very nice little version of the one i had but with variable speed only £169 ish so we will see !

As to the advent calender i would be very supprised if anyone donated something like that ? but you never know unless you try ?

Ralph
George Arnold10/12/2009 17:52:23
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ralph
I know it is obvious but make sure the new spindle thread is the same as the one you are getting rid of or you will have the cost of  replacing chucks etc, Although  If I remember rightly  it is a yellow axminster that you have now..
George
Ralph Harvey10/12/2009 19:10:24
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Yes George

Its the same on the new one but the chuck i bought was that deal from Rutlands which comes with the insert for the 3/4" 16 so it covers most popular lathes. I will have to check the taper size though ?

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact