By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hurling Sticks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Atkinson07/12/2009 19:24:29
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Guys I have had a gent from Northern Ireland contact me via the AWGB Website. It seems he make Hurling Sticks and is looking for a copy lathe which will make 4 sticks at a time - I have no idea how.
This is the text of his email:
Hi David its Raymond here, I spoke to you briefly last night on the phone about a copying lathe for making Queen Anne Legs, it is actually to make hurling sticks. I stay in N.Ireland and was informed of your website. The machine i am looking for will cut four sticks at a time using one template.
Anyone got any ideas. When I spoke to him he says there was a firm that made these lathes but they went out of business. please let me know and I'll get back in touch with him Cheers Dave

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 07/12/2009 19:25:04

Oddjob07/12/2009 19:38:31
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Dave
Hurley is, as I recall from my schooldays, a rather wild and dangerous game.  Why are our Irish neighbours into such wild games? Shinty and Irish football also spring to mind.

I had assumed that, being largely flat with some shaping, hurling sticks were carved rather than turned?  Perhaps your contact can wise us up a bit?

Richard
Delete07/12/2009 19:42:17
575 forum posts
Dave

The only Lathe duplicator I am aware of only cuts one piece at a time. I bought one but I was in Hueston Texas at the time. It can be found at 
 I hope this is of help

Here is a link to the machine

Regards

Roger
Kevin Higgins07/12/2009 20:50:48
54 forum posts
5 photos
Hi Lads ,
There was a second hand copy lathe for sale recently which was for making "hurling sticks" , I cant remember whether it was on ebay.ie or in the buy&sell magazine here in southern Ireland. I would not think they would be that common but I will see if I can find out more tomorrow . I have seen ones that can copy five at a time , we call the sticks Hurleys or Hurls by the way!!!
Kevin Higgins07/12/2009 20:53:52
54 forum posts
5 photos
Back again , If ye go to IRISHHURLEYS.IE there is a picture of a machine similar to what we are speaking about , if ye wanna look !
Kevin Higgins07/12/2009 21:25:52
54 forum posts
5 photos
Me again , I got some more information from a man who used to make Hurleys , The copy lathe he used to work at was a Bell copy lathe  made in sheffield . He also saw an italian machine that could copy 6 hurleys at a time but he cant remember the name .He will hopefully be back to me tomorrow with the name.
George Arnold07/12/2009 22:16:18
1834 forum posts
191 photos
As a matter of interest go on google for hurley sticks there is a lot of manufacturers , it seems they are made out of imported English ash, there are some composite ones being made, I do not know about multi copying  machines, surely they would be special purpose machines, it will be interesting to see said machine.

George
Dave Atkinson08/12/2009 08:40:37
672 forum posts
115 photos
George - have a look at the irishhurleys.ie site that Kevin mentioned - it's a beast!

Kevin, thanks for the information

Cheers Dave
Oddjob08/12/2009 09:11:56
1635 forum posts
79 photos
You're right there Dave!  What a beast it is too.

Who'd have believed that there could be such a demand for hurlies.

Richard
Ciaran Mac cormaic08/12/2009 13:38:29
20 forum posts
18 photos
"hurleys" are made from the root of the ash tree as they need to be flexible they shouldn`t be made on copy lathes unless for oramental purposes (for the yanks).They need to be shaped by hand after being roughed out on bandsaw. this is because they need to follow the grain so as not to break as easily.They still will get broken (perhaps 10 or more per hurling match ) accross your head,hands back and legs, hence the big demand. no self respecting hurler would use a mass produced hurley.
 Oddjob  Shinty is scottish but just as dangerous as hurling "appears" to be.
Oddjob08/12/2009 13:47:37
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ciaran

Thanks for putting me straight.  I was pretty sure our PE master at school told us it was Irish.  But he was mad anyway.

Richard
George Arnold08/12/2009 16:39:30
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Dave or anybody
I have tried the site printing in lower case and upper case but I can't find a picture, there is a link to this site, but no picture what am I doing wrong??

George
Dave Atkinson08/12/2009 16:55:33
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi George

Here's the address - click on the pics.

www.irishhurleys.ie/index.php?action=gallery

Cheers Dave
George Arnold08/12/2009 18:25:27
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Thanks Dave that is some machine, not a copying lathe but a custom built machine for the purpose, I would imagine the wood turns slowly against a bank of high speed cutters, like the machines they shape stair spindles on,by the looks of the stacks of wood  they must make a lot of sticks, but did I read that they break at least ten in a game,
Somebody must go home black and blue by the discription of the game, I am sure H&S has not been invilved. (YET)

George
Dave Atkinson08/12/2009 19:36:37
672 forum posts
115 photos
Glad you found it George

Thanks for all your input guys - I've pointed my contact raymond at this thread so i hope it will help him.

As ever this forum has provided lots of good info.

Cheers Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact