By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

RAGE 185mm Multipurpose Circular Saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
William Bodles16/07/2008 13:55:00
36 forum posts
7 photos

Hi

I have an Evolution rage sliding mitre saw and I have to say it is excellent. Accurate cutting with a smooth finish to the cut. Much much better than most other saws in the same price bracket.  The laser on mine is a bit wonky (technical jargon!) I could fix it but I never use it and to be honest I can't be bothered and really have a "Could you just do.........." list as long as my arm!

Has anyone else tried the "Rage"?

Cheers

Billy

derek willis16/07/2008 15:48:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I have to put up with my £80:00 sliding mitre saw I got from the local market, it cuts extremely accurate mitres and compounds of all angles that cannot be faulted, timber of 75mm is the maximium thickness and 300 wide, took a chance when I saw it, but never one regret, and what a price.

Derek. 

Olly Parry-Jones16/07/2008 16:27:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Is this the one that can apparently cut through anything?

Some people seem to think lasers are a waste of time, even on mitre saws. You might be better off fitting a piece of timber, MDF or ply below the blade so that when you make your first cut, you know exactly where the saw is going to cut each and every time.

derek willis16/07/2008 16:43:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

I don't know, is it supposed to cut everything?

I removed one of the timber supports, (and the laser), and using two ten mm. threaded rods and a piece of oak, together with a home made screw button I have a very substantial distance measuring stop.

The saw has been invaluable to me over the last couple of weeks whilst I have been making 20 raised panel solid oak doors and six drawer fronts for a very large kitchen.

The saw is obviously of chinese manufacture at this price, and is marketed by Marksman.

Derek. 

derek willis16/07/2008 18:31:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Olly,

I had better apologise, it did not occur to me that you were answering the original post. My mistake.

Derek. 

Matthew Platt16/07/2008 18:38:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

The rage is a handheld circular saw with blades for cutting ferrous and non ferrous metals as well as timber. You use it like a normal circular saw, but can cut through paving slabs, scaffold tubes, bundles of copper tube, you name it!

I was first introduced to them by Ian John of Dragon Saws when I went to have a chat with him about stocking their bandsaw blades. He sent me this video link and recommended that I check which blades are included when comparing the purchase price from different outlets. 

I haven't tried one out for myself yet, but they certainly look like a smashing bit of kit.

Cheers,

Matthew

www.workshopheaven.com

Olly Parry-Jones17/07/2008 09:55:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Thanks for the video link, Matthew. It appears to cut through steel and aluminium (as well as wood) with relative ease. This is probably the kind of thing that would appeal to Mike, with all his different sheds! I wonder how long the blades last on these saws?
Mike Garnham17/07/2008 10:03:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos
Surely the saw is a complete irrelevance? Surely the important thing is is the blade? Where do you buy that blade?
Matthew Platt17/07/2008 10:16:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

I dunno mike, you wouldn't catch me cutting anything but timber with my circular saw, even with a different blade, so I'd be inclined to get a seperate machine for metal. 

Dragon do replacement blades for them, you can give Ian a ring on 01443 819910.

Cheers,

Matthew

www.workshopheaven.com

William Bodles17/07/2008 20:47:00
36 forum posts
7 photos

Hi

I've not tried cutting anything other than wood with my sliding mitre saw version but it certainly does a good accurate job. The build quality certainly seems good, nice and solid nothing flimsy about it at all. 

I didn't know they came with different blades, Matthew, I'll have to give Ian a ring and get the low down on the different ones.  I wonder if the rage blade would fit an ordinary circular saw? Just for those rough reclaimed timber cutting moments, when the metal detector misses a buried nail.

Billy

Matthew Platt17/07/2008 21:50:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

Speaking of which, I've been having a go with some Dragon bandsaw blades today. They do a range of M42 HSS blades which will hapilly go through odd bits of metal in timber without damaging the blade. I tried a 1/2" 6/10 vari-tooth M42 on various timbers with an assortment of nails and screws banged into the ends and it went through the lot without skipping a beat.

I also tried one of their 3/8" 3tpi heavy duty blades which was also very impressive. It's a really thick blade, so although it's not very wide it remains straight. The kerf is quite wide and the surface it leaves is as rough as a badgers bum, but for cutting curved blanks in thick stock or even resawing boards it's a superb bit of kit.

Cheers,

Matthew 

Doug17/07/2008 22:02:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Mathew.

Do dragon have a web site?

Also what are you doing looking at the abrasiveness Or not, of badgers bums?

Baz

Matthew Platt18/07/2008 00:05:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Baz,

Well now that you can't shoot at 'em, or send a dog after 'em anymore,  I have to chase the little blighters away myself, armed with nothing more than a fierce expression and some select country phrases!!!

Dragon don't have a website I'm afraid, but I'm working with Ian to get their bandsaw blades listed on workshopheaven.com so people can see the product range, prices and place online orders through us. It will take us a week or two to get them all uploaded though as theres a fair sized list to get through.

Cheers,

Matthew 

www.workshopheaven.com
Dauid Kent17/08/2008 21:07:00
217 forum posts
1 photos
hi  were is the best place to bye ash boards from
Olly Parry-Jones18/08/2008 09:34:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Hi Dauid and welcome to the forum.

It would help if you gave us an idea of where you like in the UK. There's bound to be someone near you who can recommend a good timber yard in your area. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact