By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wood burning stoves.

As above

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Thomas02/12/2009 11:52:25
36 forum posts
Hi. all,

I have a wooden workshop, insulated with fibreglass and sheathed in plywood.
Electricity is too expensive for heating.  I think that portable gas fires give off a lot of moisture, so I am considering a wood burning stove of the type you see in Machinery Mart.   My workshop is only 4.5 x 4.5 metres and about 2.8m high.

Am I looking in the right direction, can anyone suggest better?

If a wood stove is good, what are the major do's and dont's?

I will appreciate your views.
Roger
Dave Atkinson02/12/2009 14:01:20
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Roger

I too have a wooden workshop, insulated with fiberglass and sheathed in plywood.  Mines 16' x 8' so a bit smaller than yours.

I wouldn't have a wood burning stove for two reasons - first somethking may catch fire and burn the place down.
Second it'll only be warm when it'slit.

I installed two oil filled radiators and connected them to a thermostat.  I keep the stat at about 8 degrees so it doesn't come on much but it keeps everything dry and rust free.  I can turn it up if I'm working and want some heat.

I've found it very efficient and doesn't cost much and it's safe.   

Hope this helps

Cheers Dave
Delete02/12/2009 15:53:02
575 forum posts
I like Dave's idea it sounds good. I use a Portable Gas fire. Yes it does produce some moisture. I havnt found that to be a problem. My workshop is similar the timber walls are insulated and skinned with Ply. However I have one long Wall which is Block and it is a retaining wall for the edge of the Garden and next door's ground. Although I tanked the wall it is still somewhat damp.
Long John21/12/2009 22:58:14
3 forum posts
Hi Roger, I also have a fibre glass insulated wooden workshop, 2.4 x 4.8 m, walls, floor 100mm cavity wall bats and ceiling, 100mm quilt, 2 non opening windows from 2 layers of 16mm triple wall poly carbonate separated by a 15mm gap and sealed.  The door is also insulated with 50mm expanded polystyrene.  It maintains a very even temperature so condensation is not a problem.  When it is cold I use a fan heater to bring the temperature up to comfortable, as long as you active.   Of course if you are using the shop on a daily basis this might not be so convenient

I would be very wary of any combustion heater, not just the fire risk but carbon monoxide poisoning.  If you have a workshop that leaks air like a sieve, it won't be a problem but then if you have that you are wasting your time and money trying to heat it and not being very green in the process.

Good luck Ian 
Gwilym6823/12/2009 12:03:18
14 forum posts
36 photos

This will teach me to read all threads… I have just started a thread with a similar question.

Oh well never mind.

I to am considering installing a wood burning stove mainly for heating but secondly waste disposal. We generate lots of waste within our workshops then often encounter difficulties in disposal so a wood burning stove like this could kill to birds with one stone and save on heating costs. Surely when designing these stoves they take into consideration the risk of fires etc, surely as long as the required precautions are taken they wood be safe. After all they have been installing these in log cabins for years. I suppose you could say the same for all workshop equipment really, if we misuse them or fail to take the right precautions they become dangerous.

Gwilym68
steve h23/12/2009 13:19:52
403 forum posts
128 photos
Hi Gwilym,

Please look at the article on legalities of disposing of waste, as a business, you come under a whole different catagory and it is not as simple as just installing a wood burner!
steve h23/12/2009 13:25:14
403 forum posts
128 photos
As a matter of interest, I opted for the tubular heaters from Screwfix <HERE>, which are cheap to run, I keep them on 24/7, 365 days a year, even when it is warm & wet, it keeps the damp out of my workshop.

I then have panel heater that I switch on whilst I am in there just to top up the temperature!
Delete29/12/2009 18:58:59
575 forum posts
If you are woried about CO from a heater fit a flue and get rid of the smoke and gasses.

Roger Thomas25/01/2010 15:59:21
36 forum posts
Thanks for all the input guys.
I have tried a calor gas heater and run my dehumidifier at the same time and the moisture levels are OK. Not rusty tools etc. but I do coat them with lubricating wax when put away.
I liked the suggestion of the oil heaters on a thermostatic controller , is it pluged into a socket and the heater into the controller?
I know it is a bit late, have a great 2010.
roger
Dave Atkinson25/01/2010 17:38:47
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Roger

I ran a 2.5mm twin and earth from a 16A breaker (plenty for 2Kw heater) on the consumer unit to a simple on/off thermostat.  From there onto 2 fused spurs where the heaters are connected.  It's all straightforward stuff but I have been trained in electrical work so if you are in any doubt please get the work done by a professional.

Cheers Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact