By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Any views on this package please?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
The Admiral28/11/2009 17:48:22
12 forum posts
I'm currently upgrading my tool kit and I have some very cheap and nasty planes which I would like to move on from, and I spotted this on Amazon.

>> Faithfull's 5 piece carpenter's tool set <<

I actually need all the items that come in this set -so if as a brand they are worth having in terms of quality I may invest.  I have no frame of reference as I've never seen Faithfull before.  Alternatively - am I better off looking for something second hand froma better manafacturer, and if so, any thoughts on where - other than the obvious such as eBay?

All observations welcome!

Thanks

A   

Edited By sparky on 28/11/2009 18:39:29

Olly Parry-Jones28/11/2009 18:17:57
2776 forum posts
636 photos
You may find that the marking tools in this set are quite usable but, I wouldn't expect the same with regards to the quality of those hand planes. Faithful tools come in at the lower end of the spectrum, unfortunately.

You can generally find better value in buying old, second-hand Stanley and Record planes. Not just on eBay, car boot sales are always worth a look, for hand tools in general. The steel and iron use will be of a higher quality and all round more stable than anything you could buy new from the lower end of this market. Plus, you'll learn how to care for and brings these old tools back to life.
Sparky28/11/2009 18:50:18
7631 forum posts
22 photos
A

I agree with Olly, try to go for the better planes, they will be in better condition (ie; hopefully no fettling needed) and quality.

If your still going for that set, try  >> here <<  as its cheaper.

Marc
The Admiral28/11/2009 20:21:58
12 forum posts
Thanks gents

If it was guitars - I'd have no problems, but I'm a bit lost in terms of tool brands I'm afraid - beyond the obvious ones you would expect to find in the diy superstores.

In my experince there is nothing more frustrating than realising you have wasted money on a bit of kit - only to have to buy again, when you have more experience and know more.  Also, most peoples experience of tool buying will be at the diy end of the market - wher you find a limited range, which finishes at  the Stanley/Bosch, or maybe DeWalt level.  Consequently they have no frame of reference, as they would with say cars : everyone knows about Rolls Royce and it's even become a colloqiual term 'Rolls Royce product'  - and equally we might have a view on Skoda or perhaps Kia - so what are the equivalent brands?    

Has anyone done a feature on buying a tool kit from scratch - with say 10 - 12 key items, and then running a head to head test at perhaps three price points - to establish the 'best buys' in the categories - Bronze, Silver and Gold - or to follow through my car analogy : Ford, Audi and Porsche perhaps?

I would imagine most manufacturers would be delighted to be awarded a 'Get  Woodworking' Gold Award - and push this on their packaging.  It certainly works in the Hi-Fi and car worlds - with What Hi-Fi? and What Car? giving out gongs, which are then plastered all over their advertising.  Improves brand awareness for the website too.  Perhaps you could arrange a competition off the back of it - for a 'Gold Standard Tool KIt' - made up of all the class winners?   

This type of feature would be very useful for the likes of me, and also something one could leave laying around for one's better halves to stumble upon : especially near Christmas!

Regards

Joe O 328/11/2009 22:24:26
203 forum posts
Hi Admiral,
Welcom to the forum.

If you look at the top left of the forum you will find  "Tools & Workshop"
if you click on it and scroll down to "Hand tools" you will see 2 articles in the Back to basics series by Ben Plewes and Andy King covering the assembly of a basic tool kit.

Hope this is of some help.

Joe.
Oddjob29/11/2009 10:30:05
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Admiral & Marc

Sorry guys, the Faithful set is not cheaper at Marc's link.  You have P & P to add whereas Amazon have free p & P at present.

I would not recommend Faithful planes.  Cheap cutting tools perform badly and leave the user, often a beginner, blaming himself (or herself of course!) for the problem.  This can puit them off for ever!

Buy good quality tools - second hand is usually best value.  Plus, as Ollie says, you will get the chance to fettle and learn about them.  This is particularly important with cutting tools.

Richard
Doug29/11/2009 15:45:41
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Richard beat me to it, spot on advice.

Baz  
Ron Davis29/11/2009 16:10:51
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Have you looked at car boot sales recently, I can count on one finger the bargains I have found this year, a Robert Sorby chisel for 50p! The planes are best left where they are unless you know what you are looking for, even the better known brands are suspect, usually through rust.

Andy King did a test on Faithful plane a while back and appeared impressed, I could reccomend a better blade but this will push the price up to a better quality plane anyway.

I did a fettling job on a Fathful smoother recently and got a good edge and set, the sides were square and the sole true. I dont know how long it kept that edge though.

Faithfull tools are surprisingly good for their price range, my most reliable try square is a Faithfull

Usual advice on this topic - try ebay

Ron
Sparky29/11/2009 21:15:21
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Sorry Richard

Amazon price is £ £48.98
Tooltray price £47.28 and thats with P&P
All helps with small funds

Marc

Toolfan30/11/2009 21:49:17
1 forum posts
Never had any joy with either Faithfull or Dakota branded products and have learned that imitation tools don't give good value for money. A good quality second hand version from Record or failing that Stanley, would give better results. Ask some one who knows to have a look with you if poss.
My first purchases were almost always cheap makes and always needed replacing at the least convenient time.
John
Sparky30/11/2009 22:10:19
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi John and welcome to this site's forum.

Good advise mate.

Marc
Roger Thomas02/12/2009 11:44:25
36 forum posts
A

There is a lot of very good advice here which boils down to Don't buy cheap, older is better.

To all, Did I hear something about Faithfull, about going out of business or not longer trading in chesels and the like?   I may be very wrong.

Roger
Julian02/12/2009 13:25:26
556 forum posts
28 photos
I had one of these Faithful sets given to me a present a while ago.
I coulden't get an edge of any description on the blane blade also
the plane body sole was not square to the sides or perfectly flat.
I have used the marking gauge but eberything else is still in the box.
I have a lot of old Stanly No4 and 5 planes and a Few Record ones of
the same size. I obtaines these when I was still in school and have used them ever since.
Luvly sharp irons on them with no trouble.

Julian
Julian02/12/2009 13:31:55
556 forum posts
28 photos
I had one of these Faithful sets given to me as a present some time ago.
I coulden't get an edge of any description on the blade, the sole was not flat
nor was it square to the sides.
I have used the marking gauge a lot but there is not much to go wrong with these.
The rest of it is still in it's box.
I built up a collection of No4 & 5 Stanley Planes when I was in school and still using them. I have a few Record ones also, you can get a luvly edge on these irons without
too much difficulty. As has already been said you can pick them up at boot sales for
just a few pounds.

Julian
Julian02/12/2009 13:33:43
556 forum posts
28 photos
I had one of these Faithful sets given to me as a present some time ago.
I coulden't get an edge of any description on the blade, the sole was not flat
nor was it square to the sides.
I have used the marking gauge a lot but there is not much to go wrong with these.
The rest of it is still in it's box.
I built up a collection of No4 & 5 Stanley Planes when I was in school and still using them. I have a few Record ones also, you can get a luvly edge on these irons without
too much difficulty. As has already been said you can pick them up at boot sales for
just a few pounds.

Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact