By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Tablesaws and Bandsaws

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jan De Klerk26/11/2009 22:17:07
57 forum posts
9 photos
The Admiral asked for advice on shop machinery and he was given some good advice. But the old debate of wether a bandsaw is more versatile than a tablesaw slips in. Its like saying a Ferrari is more versatile than a jeep. In my shop the least used machine is the bandsaw because of its limitations in versatality and accuracy, the tablesaw is the real workhorse it can almost do anything a bandsaw does, mine can deep rip 208mm more accurately than a bandsaw, few bandsaws can crosscutt a 5.4m into 1m lengths or could you cut a 1.2 x 2.4m sheet in half or square the whole sheet up to within 0.1 of a mm. Infact a bandsaw can cut curves but so can a jigsaw and a router, the table of a router can be mounted as part of a tablesaw table so can a spindle moulder, I've not seen any bandsaw spindle moulder combinations lately, it saves on shop space. Be prepared to do a lot of sanding and planing when using a bandsaw, a tablesaw with a good quality blade could give results similar to a planed piece and is more accurate at squaring up material. Yet a bandsaw still have place in my shop. I think the Admiral will be better off with a triton workcentre, he has very limited space.
Jan
Alan T.27/11/2009 08:12:57
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Admiral,
                           It's really 'horses for courses' in this case. I have both kinds but I almost never use the table saw because I'm almost exclusively a wood turner with only occasional forays into the 'long stuff'. They both have their place.  Alan T.
Sparky27/11/2009 09:23:48
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Erm Alan
This is Jan's post

Marc
Doug27/11/2009 21:55:58
3415 forum posts
35 photos
This subject to me is quite interesting.

I will put my hand up now & say i`m a dye in the wool table saw man, i would not be with out mine.

Recently i was talking to a well known magazine editor (no not A. King or Ralph) about the table saw / bandsaw debate, & he was definitely in the bandsaw corner.

So as a newbie to bandsaws ( i`ve had one a couple of years) i quizzed him on the faffing about when changing from one type of blade to another, his answer was that he had 2 bandsaws one with a 3/4 inch 3 TPI blade for re-sawing & one with a smaller blade for more delicate work .

So far from being the smaller foot print of the bandsaw argument , or that you have to reset guide & thrust bearings as apposed to just simply swapping a rip circular saw blade for a cross cut in seconds rather than endurance that changing a bandsaw blade is, he had the best of both worlds.

They don`t tell you it like that in the magazines.

I am finding more uses for my bandsaw, but would still happily give it up in preference for my table saw.

Baz  
Andy King27/11/2009 22:43:35
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Good reasoning from a fellow/rival mag worker Baz!
He must have more space than me (and money!)

I think I need to save up and get another tablesaw now, I keep a reasonably fine blade in my Kity 419 so I'm now on the lookout for a bigger saw for the rip blade!
I think i'll have to change the way I look at the machines i test from now on...

cheers,
Andy
Andy King27/11/2009 22:48:57
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Posted by Jan De Klerk on 26/11/2009 22:17:07:
 mine can deep rip 208mm more accurately than a bandsaw
Jan

That's a beast of a saw Jan!
I agree with you and Baz about the tablesaw though, I'm an old fashioned tablesaw man, so its my main stock converter, but a bandsaw is useful for deep ripping when needed if you don't have the capacity. (you must have a saw with an 18in plus blade!)
Table saws are so good nowadays you can get a far superior and accurate cut from them, with little finishing or planing needed in a lot of instances.
I do like the bandsaw for ripping tenon cheeks and suchlike though.

cheers,
Andy

Edited By Andy King on 27/11/2009 22:50:10

Edited By Andy King on 27/11/2009 22:51:58

steve h28/11/2009 00:09:41
403 forum posts
128 photos
Not having a hundreth of the experience of many guys on this site, and it is probably down to the user, I have struggled cuuting accurate mitres on the bandsaw, & I am very much looking forward to the delivery of my tablesaw, so maybe I will be able to cut more accurate joints - as I am not proficient in hand saws
Delete28/11/2009 08:20:47
575 forum posts
My Band saw is over 6 feet tall it is a massive brute but no where as good as the table saw. However they are designed for dis similar jobs yes both cut wood but not in the same way. I would be hard pushed to cut a Dado with a band saw.
We should compare like with like.
Olly Parry-Jones28/11/2009 09:59:37
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Baz, I'm certain I know who you're talking about! If you look more closely in previous issues of that magazine, you'll note that he effectively has two workshops, with one bandsaw in each. The saw set up for cutting curves is actually a baby compared to the one used for ripping. He doesn't seem to feature the smaller 'shop (with the smaller bandsaw) as often as the larger one, where most of the work is produced so, I'll forgive you for not having noticed it before (not that he's ever clearly stated this in the magazine, before...). ...Plus, you're clearly not as sad/don't look as closely at these magazines as me!!

I always think this debate comes down to a question of workshop space and whether or not you're looking to make money from this pursuit. If you haven't got the space for a saw costing a minimum of £300 (like the Axminster TS200/Kity 419 clone) then, you'll be wasting your money. Cheaper table saws won't offer much in terms of reliability and accuracy - you may as well at your £200 to the bandsaw fund! If you're only doing this for a hobby then, to me, the times spent changing blades is irrelevant. There's also more skill involved with changing a bandsaw blade, not to mention folding it again afterwards!

A bandsaw will offer you more in terms of depth of cut and, for the inexperienced woodworker, they are generally much safer (mainly because there's no risk of kickback). Of course, they don't offer the same width of cross-cutting capacities (even with the largest saws). You could also ask yourself how accurate the finishes cuts need to be... If you're only going to stick it through a planer thicknesser then, what does it matter, as long as you cut is roughly parallel and true? Crosscuts can always be done on a decent SCMS, set up elsewhere.

Of course, if you wanted to run a small business then, there is no better way to cut sheet materials than on a table saw (although, if you're working alone, you should use a circular saw to break down a large sheet initially, for easier man-handling). Festool and co. have produced these brilliant plunge saw and guide rail combinations but, there nowhere near as efficient as table saw with an accurately set rip fence.

So, I'm with the Bandsaw Brigade, on this one!
Sparky28/11/2009 16:58:54
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Just imagine if you all had a power cut and had to do everything by hand ?!?!?

Saws and planes

Welcome to my world!
Alan T.29/11/2009 08:59:21
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Marc,
                   Apologies to you and Jan. Will have to make sure the specs are handy. Alan T.
Ron Davis29/11/2009 16:13:21
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Marc, very few tools for woodcarving, and none to replace the imagination which starts off a project

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact