By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Soss Hinges

fitting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Spence 326/11/2009 15:28:54
67 forum posts
3 photos
Has any one fitted soss hinges, i am fitting them now to Oak Wardrobe doors.

door size is 2.3m long by 230mm wide and 30mm thick, they have a 20mm panell insert. Weights just under 10kg.

I have ordered 212 hinges from a very helpfull Isaac lords and am look for any helpfull tips in setting out and fitting, before i start this week end.

Thanks Andy
Mike Jordan26/11/2009 16:04:41
160 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Andy
I'm not sure if this will help you but here goes!

I have only used this type of hinge on the folding centre leaf of an extending table.
They fit into an acurately drilled hole and are held by a woodscrew fitted where you can see the half countersink shape, and by screwing in the grubscrew to spread the base on the other side. Ive taken the grubscrew out so that you can see how it operates.
My feeling is that they may not be well suited to hanging doors that fit into an opening in the carcase.There are a number of little linkages that may cause the door to sag.
Also they don't seem to be to be robust enough for large doors. How many are you intending to use?
Mike 
Oddjob26/11/2009 19:21:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Andy

I am inclined to agree with Mike.  This type of hinge is unlikely to be suitable for your heavy doors - unless you use half a dozen or so for each door!

I used this type of hinge a long time ago on an oak bench seat with storage for toys underneath.  After a little while while my sweet little children pushed the lid back too far and pulled the hinges out!

There are much stronger and better concealed hinges around.  Remember - you only get what you paid for!

Just Google SOSS hinges and you will find hundreds of suppliers.

Richard
Andy Spence 327/11/2009 09:46:29
67 forum posts
3 photos
thanks for your thoughts,

The hinges that you show are the first ones that i looked at, i have went for a heavier hinge designed for fitting front doors- fire doors, they are ob-long in shape nad are £20 each hinge.

product

sorry for the small picture. I am hoping to make some sort of template up and cut out with the router. I have not done this before as I like to do by hand, but cant see how i would do this with these. So information on how to work out how to make the template would be very helpfull.

Soss hinge that i have gone for is No 212

Thanks Andy
Mike Jordan27/11/2009 15:17:00
160 forum posts
17 photos
Hi Andy
The hinges you show are outside my experience. It looks as though you will need a router template similar to those sold for sinking mortice locks. A play with some scrap material is all I can suggest. I think Trend sell a lock template you could look at.  Best of luck with the project, please let us know the results.
Mike

Edited By Mike Jordan on 27/11/2009 15:19:03

Andy Spence 327/11/2009 15:40:40
67 forum posts
3 photos
thanks for the thoughts,

I will let you know how i get on.

Andy Spence
Andy King27/11/2009 21:33:04
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Andy,

I used to use Soss hinges in my boat building days for the cherry furniture on flybridge cruisers.
What i used to do was to have a straight cutter for the router that matched the width of the hinge. This gives a perfect radius match for the hinge ends as well as the width, and then use a guide bush and a home made template - basically a slot in the piece of MDF with a deep batten as a fence to centre it on the work and allow you to clamp it to the work.
The slot was the same width as the guide bush, it just needs to be long enough to allow for the difference between the guide bush and the cutter.
I've just found an image and it seems the No 212 hinges are 3/4in wide and 3 3/4in long, so if you use a 1in guide bush for example, you have a 3/4in cutter that leaves 1/8in offset between the guidebush and the cutter, so the slot needs to be 1in x 3 7/8in (i think that's right!)
The slot should now be good for the face of the hinge (use the turret on the router to set the depth)
Swap the cutter to a narrower one to allow for the hinge mechanism and use the same guidebush setup to plunge the remainder. I used to work from centrelines marked on the jig and where the hinge was going to get it spot on.
The length of the deeper recess for the hinge mechanism I simply marked on with a pencil because (if i recall correctly) if the router runs full length of the slot with the narrower cutter it doesn't leave enough meat for the screws.
Hope this helps, but as mentioned, have a practice first!

cheers,
Andy

Edited By Andy King on 27/11/2009 21:34:15

Andy Spence 328/11/2009 10:44:52
67 forum posts
3 photos
thanks

Andy
Andy Spence 301/12/2009 10:11:59
67 forum posts
3 photos

Soss Hinges arrived to today, they are very large and appear well made, I ordered from Issaac Lords and the service was very good. I can see why they were the cost that they were.

I will let you all know how i get on fitting them.

Andy
Humberto Cordero13/04/2010 17:46:04
1 forum posts
For doors of this size you really need to investigate the Tectus hinges from Simonswerk.

Big thing here is that they are adjustable in 3 dimensions which keeps you from having to rip out the Soss should anything move. It's just a hex key and a turn and your set.

You need fewer of them because their models go from 40kg to 200kg for 2 hinges installed and look much slicker and the finishes are actually quite architectural grade.

They are indeed more expensive but you might find that, between having to put in fewer and the prospect of having to re-mill the door down the line, these Tectus are an economical solution.The one you'd need is the TE240. Two will do the trick.

get a look at them here: Tectus concealed hinges

There are plenty of suppliers for these as well in UK, I believe.

Humberto. 
Andy Spence 314/04/2010 10:52:12
67 forum posts
3 photos
i have had a look at these and will give them a try on the next set of wardrobes, i have fitted some of the doors, one i set up the template fitting was very straight forward, took 1 day to set up and 10 mins to fit each door .

I will post some photos when i have finished them.

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact